Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Cliff Richard - Questions & Two a Penny

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Now here's a very obscure song by Cliff. It also happens to be my latest contribution to YT. What do others think?

Anyone here heard the song or seen the 1968 film "Two a Penny" before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwgg_2F7MRk
Last edited by Robt on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Cliff Richard - Two a Penny

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Two a Penny isn't a film that I cared for -- Cliff was no great shakes as an actor, and here was a film he had to - pretty much - carry; a drama, with a few songs, but a flimsy plot about a cad who starts to see the light. No doubt Cliff's religious leanings was pivotal in him either choosing the role, or being sought for this picture.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:20 pm

I really like that song. And the film was ok with Cliff being a bit naughty for a change!!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Tony can you believe he actually wrote the song "Two a Penny" ? One wouldn't have imagined it to be semi-religious styled film as there's no hint of it on the lyrics.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Robt wrote:Tony can you believe he actually wrote the song "Two a Penny" ? One wouldn't have imagined it to be semi-religious styled film as there's no hint of it on the lyrics.

I always liked the horn arrangement and the Monkees style opening guitar licks. Great. "Questions" is a good song too.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Don't know that one. It's not the same song as the Moody Blues is it?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Robt wrote:Don't know that one. It's not the same song as the Moody Blues is it?

No. I think it was in "Two a penny" though if I remember correctly. Nice ballad.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:46 pm

OK i since found it and agree with you. You want me to create a vid and upload on YT. To date, it's not on there?

Re: Cliff Richard - Questions & Two a Penny

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:49 am

Update:

Here's "Questions" My latest upload -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1ypH7HKiI

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Excellent work. It's a great ballad isn't it? I loved the girl in "Two a penny" - a real mod girl. Wasn't she the same chick who went on to appear in "Father dear father" sitcom?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm

yeah she looks like a typical sixties hip female. BIt before my time though :mrgreen:

I honestly cannot recall seeing the movie on television in Australia. If it had've been i'm sure i would have seen it and found it to be a very different unlikely Cliff film. There are excerpts available on YT.
Last edited by Robt on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Cliff's finest hour for me and certainly his best soundtrack.The title track is my favourite Cliff recording of all time! Absolute class!

"Where's my bleedin' shoe??" Go Cliffy!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Andy how R U ? Can you sing and provide us a version ?

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Robert, is it possible you could re-do the audi on "Learning how to rock n roll"? The beginning is clipped.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah I'll give it another go on the weekend sometime. I also liked his rendition of "Don't ask me to be friends" the old Everly Brothers song (from "Track n Grooves") . You know the one? Just need to do a bit more research on that , such as if Olivia is the female vocal about 2 minutes into the song. I suspect it's her. Where on earth am i going to find that info ?

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Robt wrote:Yeah I'll give it another go on the weekend sometime. I also liked his rendition of "Don't ask me to be friends" the old Everly Brothers song (from "Track n Grooves") . You know the one? Just need to do a bit more research on that , such as if Olivia is the female vocal about 2 minutes into the song. I suspect it's her. Where on earth am i going to find that info ?

I believe there is a Cliff recording seesions type book. Came out at least 10 years ago I think.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:09 am

dont ask me to be friends came from 67 but was not released till 70 so my guess would be its not olivia but i am only going off the top of my head

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:56 am

I was going to upload it but after reading your post i decided not to. It would be much too complicating for me as I now have more Questions (excuse the pun) concerning the details of the track.. A song that came out in 1972 (on the "Tracks n Grooves" record) was actually recorded in 1967 ?!!!!

What do you think Tony was DAMTBF really recorded in 1967?

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:07 am

tracks and grooves is 1970 i think and am pretty sure the songs are spread over 3 years, i havent got it to hand but i think i am right.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:17 am

OK my friend I'll upload it provided you write the notes and also you will be credited for that :smt006

Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:29 am

just sent a text to someone who said according to the ultimate cliff book it was recorded 5th october 67 while the album came out november 70. I can only assume the book is correct. I do like the album by the way.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 am

You did well. Now ask him/her is Olivia and Pat Carroll singing in the background about 2 mins into the song?
From my end i will check the release date of "Track n Grooves". What is your first name ? I'll add it on the upload post somewhere.

Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:19 pm

TONY. wrote:Excellent work. It's a great ballad isn't it? I loved the girl in "Two a penny" - a real mod girl. Wasn't she the same chick who went on to appear in "Father dear father" sitcom?

Yes, her (Ann Holloway) and Natasha Pyne.
Apparently this is her now.

Sir Cliff is aging better, if that really is her :?