Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

mark knopfler and bob dylan

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi guys,
I,m new here,been reading this forum for ages tho.
Anyway it might be of interest if there are any fans of the above, it looks as though mark knopfler and bob dylan will be touring in the uk and europe together ,possibly in oct and nov of this year,its not been announced yet.
Not really keen on dylan but knopfler is hugely talented and underrated imo and of course a fan of elvis. i,ll probably try and catch one of their gigs
Daylon.

Re: mark knopfler and bob dylan

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Daylon

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:27 am

If true, Knopfler and Dylan is a great bill. It would be cool to hear some Infidels tracks.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:04 am

I've always been fond of Mark Knopfler since the Dire Straits days. He has something about Elvis in himself also. Many of his lyrics mention Elvis or have references to him.
Bob Dylan is also an artist I have great respect for. I like his later albums also! Both are great names in my history book of rock and pop culture.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Tickets went on general sale this morning. It has been stated on at least one site that the two acts will be playing separate sets with their own bands. This pairing might turn out to be bad news for Knopfler fans, because Dylan always insists on a No Video Screens policy, and all these dates are taking place in Arenas where screens are beneficial for the folks seated further back. It might be that Knopfler gets to use them for his set, and they're turned off for Dylan, but we'll have to wait and see.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Went to the Braehead Arena last night to this concert .They played separate sets,Knopfler first then Dylan.

Mark was excellent , he played about 11 songs ,only 2 being from the dire straits days -brothers in arms and so far away. He certainly hasn,t lost any of his guitar skills thats for sure ,he was backed by a very talented band
He also played 3 new songs from his forthcoming album which is apparently coming out in the spring.If they are anything to go by the new album will be a good one .
I don,t know whether i am allowed to post a link to them or not (if not please delete ) but here is the 3 new from last night.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CXHARK46 -audience recording but reasonable
Bob Dylan was ok but very loud and distorted, he played keyboards mostly with a couple of songs with a harp.I,m not a huge fan of his ,so can,t really comment further but the dylan fans certainly enjoyed it(dylan did too-seemed quite animated and joking with the crowd). The crowd was probably 60-40 in dylans favour and when knopfler was on there were a few spaces and when dylan came on ,probably after 2 or 3 of his numbers a lot of Knopfler fans seemed to leave! Would love to have seen them play together but didn,t happen ,it may still do it,s only their 3 rd gig out of 30 or so.
Heres what they did -
Knopfler
What it is
Cleaning my gun
Cornbeef city-new
Sailing to philadelphia
Hillfarmer blues
Privateering -new
Song for sonny liston
Haul Away -new
Marbletown
Brothers in arms
So far away

Dylan
Leopard Skin Pill-Box Hat
It Ain't Me, Babe
Things Have Changed
Tangled Up In Blue
Cold Irons Bound
Simple Twist Of Fate
Honest With Me
Desolation Row
Highway 61 Revisited
Blind Willie McTell
Thunder On The Mountain
Ballad Of A Thin Man
---- (encore break) ----
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Nice set-lists.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:49 am

Besides Elvis I'm also a big DS/MK fan. Regretfully I haven't bought tickets for this tour due to financial reasons. After having listened to the complete October 8th performance of MK I can tell he, and the band, are in great form. Glad to see also that Mark is standing on his feet again after his back problems during last years tour (he had to sit down for almost the whole tour).

Midnightx, indeed a fine, though shortened, setlist of MK. Great to see Cleaning My Gun back into the set and the new songs are definately great, with Corned Beef City being my favorite (reminds a lot of Gravy Train from '96.)

Never cared for Bob Dylan though. He's defenatley a great and talented song writer, but his voice has always put me off.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:00 am

stefan kock wrote:Besides Elvis I'm also a big DS/MK fan. Regretfully I haven't bought tickets for this tour due to financial reasons. After having listened to the complete October 8th performance of MK I can tell he, and the band, are in great form. Glad to see also that Mark is standing on his feet again after his back problems during last years tour (he had to sit down for almost the whole tour).

Midnightx, indeed a fine, though shortened, setlist of MK. Great to see Cleaning My Gun back into the set and the new songs are definately great, with Corned Beef City being my favorite (reminds a lot of Gravy Train from '96.)

Never cared for Bob Dylan though. He's defenatley a great and talented song writer, but his voice has always put me off.

Is Knopfler's voice any better than Dylan's?

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
stefan kock wrote:Besides Elvis I'm also a big DS/MK fan. Regretfully I haven't bought tickets for this tour due to financial reasons. After having listened to the complete October 8th performance of MK I can tell he, and the band, are in great form. Glad to see also that Mark is standing on his feet again after his back problems during last years tour (he had to sit down for almost the whole tour).

Is Knopfler's voice any better than Dylan's?

I would say a definite yes !!

Both artists have an unsual voice and one needs to get used to it. Mark has always been the better singer of the two and his singing nowadays is better than it was 20-30 years ago. Bob's voice on the other hand is totally gone. Have been listening to his concert from October 9th and his voice is truly awfull,

Mark Knopfler, Glasgow - October 8th 2011 (Corned Beef City ~ a new song not yet released by Mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbuyY8b7pnI

Bob Dylan, Glasgow - October 8th 2011 (Tangled Up In Blue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP7QIMppSBI&feature=related

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:07 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Is Knopfler's voice any better than Dylan's?

I can't listen to Knopfler. Hate his voice, Dylan is different because he's, well, because he's Dylan the poet.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I think Knopflers voice is ok for the type of music he does , i think its safe to say he,s no great shakes in the vocal ability dept but he is a very talented guitarist/songwriter ,and has wrote some classics -romeo and juliet,sultans of swing etc, selling 125 million albums and being a big elvis fan combine this with the fact he,s scottish virtually makes him unbeatable really :D

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 am

I'm not gonna diss Knopfler because I like a lot of his music, but his voice tends to be a bit monotone, and I agree that Bob's voice is totally shot now. It works well on some songs, not so well on others (Christmas in the Heart comes to mind). Vocally, I think he was at his peak circa 1974/79.