Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Ella Fitzgerald - Hey Jude (1969)

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 am

What da ya think ? Whilst not a big a fan, I found myself really enjoy this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslZff3y ... re=related

Re: Ella Fitzgerald - Hey Jude (1969)

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:30 am

I'm a major fan of Ella - almost anything she touched became pure magic. There was never a more talented singer, Lady Ella being to the female voice what Frank Sinatra was to the male voice . . . They took it to its ultimate! Find any number of duets between the two and witness sheer brilliance. That an album between them never materialised is one of the great losses to 20th Century music! But, Ella alone, with those most beautiful of tones, incredible phrasing and a striking range singing anything from Mack the Knife and Take the ''A'' Train to Sunshine of Your Love, Someone to Watch Over Me and Thou Swell; not to mention collaborations with Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Andre Previn and innumerable recordings of songs by Rogers and Hart, Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Harold Arlen, George and Ira Gershwin and Jerome Kern . . . Just brilliance!

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks Friends. There is also "Sunny" with Tom Jones on you tube which is nicely done. Check it out...

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Another one of my heroes (heroines!). We should remember that the albums on which Ella did the rockier stuff (Got to get you into my life, sunny, heard it through the grapevine, knock on wood etc) were big disappointments when they came out in 1969/70. Due to them being delved into for adverts (in the UK at least), they are now turning into cult classics and rightfully so.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Ella's take on Cream's Sunshine of Your Love was sensational, and her many performances on the concert stage with Frank Sinatra were examples of two masters doing what they done best, doing it brilliantly and doing it effortlessly. Such a shame they never cut an album together, for it was oft discussed and attempted, but always fell at the last hurdle.