Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Tom Jones - Brother Can You Spare A Dime

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 am

Hey folks, it doesn't get much better than this -

phpBB [video]

Re: Tom Jones - Brother Can You Spare A Dime

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 am

Superb, absolutely. Jones has always been great with a lyric and so often selected the best of material.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 am

greystoke, After being denied access yesterday , I was able to download another Jones album. 1972 Close-Up from the same website. Right now I'm enjoying the songs "Woman You Took My Life" and "Kiss an Angel In The Morning" which i haven't heard before. You know Them ? ! ?
Last edited by Robt on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 am

Yes, I know those songs - Kiss an Angel Good Mornin' was a major hit for Charlie Pride. Tom was always good with a country song, Green, Green Grass of Home being a glowing example of that!

Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Jones is sadly not taken so seriously these days, having become a little bit of a caricature, I guess, in the same way so many well-loved entertainers become in their later years. But much of his work over the years has been superb and he really isn't given enough credit. The DVDs of his 60s TV show are, in the main, a joy (despite the edits). It was through that TV show he introduced Sammy Davis Jr to Mr Bojangles, when Sammy acted it out while Jones sang it. It shouldn't work, but it does:

phpBB [video]

Going back to the song that started the thread. Dean Martin was another singer who became a caricature as he got older. But here he is in 1977 in a serious mood for once with a surprisingly powerful version Brother can You Spare A Dime. In the same show he took Sinatra's arrangement of Bad bad Leroy Brown and showed the Chairman of the Board how to REALLY sing it! It was a superb performance:

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:11 pm

I've always loved that clip of Tom Jones and Sammy Davis, Jr. Jones sung Mr. Bojangles well, but when Sam took to that song -- well, it was just shattering in effect. Neil Diamond's version was also very good . . .

I'm under the impression, however, that Tom Jones is more respected more these days than the past 35 years, or so -- since Reload, many of his albums have been decent hits and critically praised; especially Praise and Blame, but work with Jools Holland, superb blues covers and a dabble in songwriting has also gone down well. He done a fine, but all-too-brief, turn at Glastonbury, too.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:32 pm

I thought Praise and Blame was hammered critically in Britain at least. The album with Jools Holland sure is fun - with My Babe and St James Infirmary Blues particularly good. And Sometimes We Cry and Motherless Child from Reload are masterpieces.

I agree with regards to Bojangles - but it's interesting that some of the dance moves from the clip on the Tom Jones show were still in Davis's concert performances of the song nearly two decades later. What a great talent he was. When I was 14 i was offered the chance to go and see the tour with him, Minnelli and Sinatra. I didn't like any of them at the time and turned it down. The video of that tour is probably my most played concert. Sinatra was still delivering the goods, It was davis's last tour I think and he was still in blistering form. And Minnelli has probably never been better. It's great that she appears healthy and happy on her recent TV appearances, but her singing voice has all but deserted her it seems. Back 1988/9 on the video from Detroit she shows many different sides to her abilities from the comedy of Ring Them Bells, to the beautiful love song Quiet Love and on to the wonderful Sailor Boys. When she was good, she was very very good, as they say. And I say was an idiot not to go to that concert!

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey Friends, My first upload of the song did not come up good with the audio being somewhat high. I have tonight re-uploaded this and with a new video I hope you will like -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuU_2cZ_pfg

Look forward to reading your thoughts !