Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Rick Nelson - Australia 1985

Mon May 30, 2011 3:58 am

Excerpts of "Hello Mary Lou" and "One after 909".

phpBB [video]

Back in 1985 just a few months before his tragic death, Rick toured here and appeared on television. These are from the Midday show. In between the two songs Rick was interviewed.
"One after 909" was done in style. Let's hope the whole song will be found in the archives and uploaded before long. It is not known if Rick recorded a master of The Beatles song.

Re: Rick Nelson - Australia 1985

Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 am

Any idea what month in 1985 this was recorded? I also have this on DVD from a guy in New York.

Also, just as an "aside", Rick's final network television appearance came on September 13, 1985 on "Solid Gold". Rick looked way older (to me) than his 45 years of age.....:(

Mon May 30, 2011 9:04 am

Either in September or October. Yes Rick looked like he had some extra weight but he still sounded great and i think these excerpts shows he was moving away from his country rock and back into the rock n roll earlier stuff.
I'm sure he appeared on at least one other music-chat show when he was out here.

Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Tony

Greetings from Australia.

How much film is there of Rick in Australia? Also are the two songs complete ? Can you pm me with details of Rick Nelson Australia 1985 DVD you wrote about. I know the youtube uploader (She lives in Houston) whose a diehard Rick Nelson fan has been looking for it a long time but could only find the two excerpts She would be interested in this DVD. Check out her channel...

Alternatively you can pm her and let her know...

Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Robt wrote:Tony

Greetings from Australia.

How much film is there of Rick in Australia? Also are the two songs complete ? Can you pm me with details of Rick Nelson Australia 1985 DVD you wrote about. I know the youtube uploader (She lives in Houston) whose a diehard Rick Nelson fan has been looking for it a long time but could only find the two excerpts She would be interested in this DVD. Check out her channel...

Alternatively you can pm her and let her know...

RobT,

The only footage I have of Rick in Australia is these two songs, unfortunately. I got them from a man named Howard Kasten in NY who has a lot of Rick/Ricky Nelson footage from 1957 - 1985.

I really wish I could afford the Bear Family box set that they (Bear Family) have released on Rick....but my finances at the moment won't allow me to. :(

The only versions I've seen or heard of "One After 909" are live/in concert versions - I don't believe that any studio versions exist.

Mon May 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Tony, Which Bear Family box set do you mean ? The newie "THE LAST TIME AROUND" or " FOR YOU : THE DECCA YEARS" ?

OK I'll let Cathy in Houston know. It's the same excerpts that she uploaded, is that right ? She has pm'd me to say Rick only performed "One after 909" in concert including on the October 1985 Australian tour but did not cut a master.

Mon May 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Robt wrote:Tony, Which Bear Family box set do you mean ? The newie "THE LAST TIME AROUND" or " FOR YOU : THE DECCA YEARS" ?

I'm referring to "The Last Time Around", I believe. The Decca years covered Rick's career in the 60's, correct?

Robt wrote:OK I'll let Cathy in Houston know. It's the same excerpts that she uploaded, is that right ?

That's correct, Robt.

Robt wrote:She has pm'd me to say Rick only performed "One after 909" in concert including on the October 1985 Australian tour but did not cut a master.

She would be correct.....although, I could've sworn that he did cut a master for the song either on the "Intakes" album (which turned out to be a disaster commercial-wise, I believe) or maybe his final album, "Playing To Win". I don't have either album or CD because I never can find the damn things on Ebay - I always just find the albums, themselves. :(

Is Cathy a member here, by any chance? She can PM me if she would like to....

Mon May 30, 2011 6:53 pm

No she's not. She's more of a diehard Rick fan. You only need to see her channel to see what i mean. It's her husband whose an Elvis fan. He and his mom (now deceased) even saw Elvis Houston show in March 1974. When i found out i sent them a CDR of the EVENT NUMBER 8 CD. However they attended the evening concert :mrgreen: .

Yes the "For You: The Decca Years" (which is the one i would love to get by the end of the year) is just Rick's sixties stuff before he formed the Stone Canyon Band

Tony, there is a complete version of "One after 909" on you tube where Rick says it was "recorded for a new album". Are you aware of it ?

Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 am

Found it. Rick's live recording of "One after 909", Cathy wrote and said it was from a Toronto concert. However the song was not included on THE LAST TIME AROUND !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2PDPwMtUZQ

Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 am

I also remember watching Rick Nelson perform on the Sunday program which was on channel 9 and hosted by Jim Waley. He sang "IIf you had a girl like mine, you'd know what I mean....."

Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 am

"do you know what I mean".

Various concert versions are on you tube-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKAPtbuV ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxAyur5bxfo

Yes that was another one that has not yet surfaced as a studio cut.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I have "One After 909" on a boot cd, same version you guys linked to here. I'm sure Rick and the guys recorded it in the studio, though, he was playing it all through the latter part of 1985, and it was announced to be the b-side of "You Know What I Mean" - but when that single finally came out after his death, the b-side was "Don't Leave Me This Way'. BTW, there are two versions of YKWIM - the original, cut for the double album "All My Best", and a second version released as a single, and on the single album version of "All My Best". I hope someday we get to hear more from his final sessions. "So Long (You Got Me Gone)", "Singin' the Blues" and "Rockin', Rollin' Fool" are on boot cds.