Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

AC/DC to rock on...

Sat May 07, 2011 9:02 am

I have to agree with their views re music downloads. It detracts from the essence of an album if you pick and choose the tracks...

They are the last major act to refuse to sell their music on the internet but AC/DC are still insisting their songs will never be available to download.

Lead vocalist Johnson says there is little chance of the band retiring

With even the Beatles now finally making their music available on iTunes experts say the rockers, whose album Back In Black is the second highest selling in history, are missing out on millions in lost revenue by refusing to allow their work to be sold in the digital marketplace.

Speaking at the world premiere of their new concert film in London, the band’s guitarist Angus Young said he refuses to sanction allowing individual tracks to be downloaded because their songs should be heard as part of a full album.

He told Sky News: "I know the Beatles have changed but we’re going to carry on like that.

"For us it’s the best way. We are a band who started off with albums and that’s how we’ve always been.

"We always were a band that if you heard something (by AC/DC) on the radio, well, that’s only three minutes. Usually the best tracks were on the albums."

The guitarist, known for his schoolboy outfit, also rubbished rumours the band, whose Black Ice tour was the second highest grossing tour in history, are considering retiring.

Speculation surrounded the future of the veteran five-piece, whose ages range from 56 to 64, after Geordie singer Brian Johnson was quoted as saying that he was considering quitting when they finished the 168 date run of concerts between 2008 and 2010.

Speaking to Sky News Johnson denied he was thinking of hanging up his legendary flat cap and quitting.

“No, never. Not as long as I can still walk and sing. I should think we’ll be back absolutely.

“We’ll definitely be back,” added Angus, who confirmed they are working on a new album but admitted he had no idea how they could top the Black Ice tour, which sold 5.1m tickets and grossed an estimated $477m.

"We’ll just keep at it and next time we’ll try to do it bigger and better."

The band have released a string of concert films over the years but both said that Live at River Plate, which was recorded by 32 HD cameras at a stadium in Buenos Aires over three nights in December 2009, is the definitive chance to sample what the band are like live.

And the key to their longevity? "I don’t know. I guess we just keep true to our roots I guess," said Brian.

"We don’t try to change and that strikes a chord. It’s just out and out rock and roll, that’s what we do", he added

"We’ve outlived quite a few fashions. We’re still playing what we always did which is good old rock and roll."

Re: AC/DC to rock on...

Sat May 07, 2011 9:53 am

They are out of touch with the realities of music retail. I certainly appreciate the position that the "album" is artistically relevant, but really, the album doesn't mean much to more recent generations of music consumers. Many consumers, and certainly future generations, do not care about the essence of the album. Things are never going to be the way they once were.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Surely if people want to hear their music badly enough, thay can get their albums quite cheaply on cd on Amazon (for example). Plus the sound quality is better and you get decent booklet etc. Good on AC/DC.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 am

I admire their tenacity and sticking to their guns, but personally I think AC/DC are, I don't know...done.

The years with Bon Scott were the best, that was the real AC/DC. They did a mammoth job in 1980 by not only keeping their fans after the untimely passing of the beloved Mr. Scott, but releasing some timeless stuff. As tired as 'You Shook Me All Night Long' is, it sounds like it was recorded last week but in fact it was recorded 30 years ago! That's crazy. I was a freakin freshman in high school when that song came out. Now that's a loooong time ago. I've aged...the song hasn't.
However great Back In Black, and For Those About To Rock were in their time, what they did in the years to follow were mostly songs with even more simplified double entendre about getting a hard-on and stuff like that.

I'm surprised we don't hear anything about a back or neck problem from Angus Young. The guy must have a rubber spine. He has one move and he does it for the whole show, and he's been doing that for more than three decades. Physical therapy anybody? Brian Johnson's voice is just....ah, well what do I know, I should just shut my trap. They still (unbelievably) pack stadiums, far be it from me to say they suck.