Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Everly Brothers

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 am

The Everly Brothers are the most important vocal duo in rock. The enduring influence of their close, expressive harmonies is evident in the work of British Invasion bands like the Beatles and the Hollies, and of folk-oriented acts such as Simon and Garfunkel, not to mention countless solo artists, among them Dave Edmunds, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt. Most of the Everlys' hit singles — "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have to Do Is Dream" — merged Nashville's clean instrumental country style with innocuous teenage themes, and were smoother than other contemporary country-rock hybrids like rockabilly. Their mastery is revealed in their ballads, among them "Let It Be Me."

Don Everly was born on February 1, 1937; his brother Phil arrived almost two years later, on January 19, 1939. They were the children of Midwestern country stars Ike and Margaret Everly of Shenandoah, Iowa. The boys toured with their parents around the South and Midwest and performed on the family radio show (a taped sample of which appears on Roots) throughout their childhoods. In the summer of 1955, still teenagers, they left for Nashville, where they were soon hired by Roy Acuff's publishing company as songwriters. Don had a minor success when his "Thou Shalt Not Steal" became a hit for Kitty Wells. The brothers also recorded a country single entitled "Keep On Loving Me" for Columbia before signing with Cadence in 1957. Songwriters Felice and Boudleaux Bryant gave them "Bye Bye Love," which 30 acts had previously rejected. It was an international hit (Number Two U.S., 1957), topped the country chart, and established the Everly Brothers' style of close country harmonies over a rocking beat.

The Everlys toured internationally with a small combo over the next few years, sporting matching suits and haircuts and leaving fans to identify each brother by the color of his hair (Don's was darker). Their heyday lasted through 1962, by which time they were at Warner Bros., with cumulative record sales of $35 million. In their three years with Cadence (which they left in a dispute over royalties) they averaged a Top 10 hit every four months, including four Number One hits: "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have to Do Is Dream," "Cathy's Clown," and "Bird Dog."

Some of their most successful records — "Till I Kissed You" (Number Four, 1959), "When Will I Be Loved" (Number Eight, 1960) — were written by Don or Phil Everly. Their best-selling single, "Cathy's Clown" (sales of which exceeded 2 million), came after their switch to Warner Bros., but their success with the new label was short-lived. In June 1962 the Everlys' string of hits ended with "That's Old-Fashioned" (Number Nine, 1962). They remained major stars in England, but their careers slowed markedly in the U.S. despite continued releases on Warner Bros. ("Bowling Green," Number 40, 1967) and RCA (where they moved in the early Seventies, shortly after hosting a summer TV series on CBS). Their latter-day backup band was led by keyboardist Warren Zevon and included future L.A. studio guitarist Waddy Wachtel.

By then the brothers' personal lives had gone through serious upheavals. Both were addicted to speed for a while, and Don was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown. Their relationship became increasingly acrimonious until it blew up at the John Wayne Theater at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California, on July 14, 1973. Phil smashed his guitar and stalked off stage, leaving Don to announce the duo's obvious breakup. Subsequent solo attempts by both were largely unsuccessful.

In 1983 the Everlys returned to the spotlight. Phil's duet with Cliff Richard, "She Means Nothing to Me," reached the British Top 10 in the spring. That September the brothers reunited onstage at London's Royal Albert Hall for a triumphant concert that was chronicled on Reunion Concert and in a video documentary that was widely aired. In 1984 they released EB 84 (Number 38, 1984), produced by longtime fan Dave Edmunds. "On the Wings of a Nightingale," penned by another admirer, Paul McCartney (who'd mentioned the pair in his "Let 'Em In"), went to Number 50 in the U.S. and Number 41 in England. Edmunds also produced 1986's Born Yesterday, which came out the same month that the duo was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Everlys continued to perform well into 2000s, and Phil resurfaced on a recording in 2006, singing a duet with Vince Gill on his album These Days. The Everly Brothers have inspired several musicals, including 1998's biographical Bye Bye Love: The Everly Brothers Musical, which ran in Nashville, and 2000's Dream, Dream, Dream, which played Atlantic City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icy84NQ9zXY

Portions of this biography appeared in The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll (Simon & Schuster, 2001). Mark Kemp contributed to this article.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Everly Brothers

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Great topic. I too am an EB Fan. Do you or anyone else out there have their THE PRICE OF FAME 7 CD box-

http://www.highway-music.dk/shop/everly ... 5164p.html

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 am

The Evs were great, I got see them 3 times in the 80's. Voices were strong and full, amazing band with Albert Lee on guitar, and the irrepressible Pete Wingfield on keys. Their trio of 80's albums are worth checking out. Some of the production is a bit 80's sounding, but the best songs - On the Wings of a Nightingale, Amanda Ruth, Born Yesterday, Why Worry, These Shoes, Some Hearts - can rank with the early stuff. Wish they were still recording or touring, not many first generation rockers are still alive, or active.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 am

Robt wrote:Great topic. I too am an EB Fan. Do you or anyone else out there have their THE PRICE OF FAME 7 CD box-

http://www.highway-music.dk/shop/everly ... 5164p.html

Yes i have all the Bear Family and Rhino boxsets of the Brothers. Amazing stuff, and its depressing to know that some of their finest Warner Bros and RCA recordings will be forever unheard to the general public, cause they were only available on their studio albums and almost never released as singles :(

some examples of pure beauty and harmony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWpvr2_Y ... B0A44C913E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfJBfRr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Cipd_kmfU

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am

Lonely Summer wrote:The Evs were great, I got see them 3 times in the 80's. Voices were strong and full, amazing band with Albert Lee on guitar, and the irrepressible Pete Wingfield on keys. Their trio of 80's albums are worth checking out. Some of the production is a bit 80's sounding, but the best songs - On the Wings of a Nightingale, Amanda Ruth, Born Yesterday, Why Worry, These Shoes, Some Hearts - can rank with the early stuff. Wish they were still recording or touring, not many first generation rockers are still alive, or active.

Agree!! These Shoes is simply of their finest recordings ever :wink:
Problem with The Evs is, dispite being brothers, they are almost always in a fight. Thats the reasons they wont go on stage anymore or do any recordings. Their last trip to the UK ( in 2005) also showed that their voices were not as strong anymore, but they still did sound great in harmony parts.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 am

I'd love to see a reunion tour of all the squabbling siblings in rock and roll - Phil and Don Everly, Ray and Dave Davies, Randy, Tim and Robin Bachman, Brian Wilson and his cousin Mike Love....I'm sure you can think of others. Unfortunately, some died before resolving their issues - Dennis and Carl Wilson, Tom Fogerty (John refused to speak to him after CCR broke up), don't remember the Gibb brothers having any issues with each other, though. They seemed to get along with each other well. I think part of the problem with the Everlys was that Don was always the lead singer, and people tended to praise him for his solos and his rhythm guitar licks, and then there was Phil...what did he do? Oh, that's right, sing harmony (better than anybody), and play his unamplified acoustic. The few rare times sang a solo on an Everlys track, it was buried on an album ("Up in Mabel's Room", "Like Everytime Before"). I was particularly interested in hearing his solo albums just to hear how he sounded singing lead. I've got "Phil's Diner", "Mystic Line" and "Living Alone". None of them tops the Ev's best work as a duo, but there is some fine songwriting and singing on each. I've also got Don's "Brother Jukebox" album, a very enjoyable Nashville oriented collection of new songs and remakes.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:18 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I'd love to see a reunion tour of all the squabbling siblings in rock and roll - Phil and Don Everly, Ray and Dave Davies, Randy, Tim and Robin Bachman, Brian Wilson and his cousin Mike Love....I'm sure you can think of others. Unfortunately, some died before resolving their issues - Dennis and Carl Wilson, Tom Fogerty (John refused to speak to him after CCR broke up), don't remember the Gibb brothers having any issues with each other, though. They seemed to get along with each other well. I think part of the problem with the Everlys was that Don was always the lead singer, and people tended to praise him for his solos and his rhythm guitar licks, and then there was Phil...what did he do? Oh, that's right, sing harmony (better than anybody), and play his unamplified acoustic. The few rare times sang a solo on an Everlys track, it was buried on an album ("Up in Mabel's Room", "Like Everytime Before"). I was particularly interested in hearing his solo albums just to hear how he sounded singing lead. I've got "Phil's Diner", "Mystic Line" and "Living Alone". None of them tops the Ev's best work as a duo, but there is some fine songwriting and singing on each. I've also got Don's "Brother Jukebox" album, a very enjoyable Nashville oriented collection of new songs and remakes.

'January Butterfly' and 'Words in your Eyes' from Phil on his solo albums are fantastic tracks, but i always had a soft spot for Dons' more 'country - styled' solo stuff.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 pm

MORERO wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:The Evs were great, I got see them 3 times in the 80's. Voices were strong and full, amazing band with Albert Lee on guitar, and the irrepressible Pete Wingfield on keys. Their trio of 80's albums are worth checking out. Some of the production is a bit 80's sounding, but the best songs - On the Wings of a Nightingale, Amanda Ruth, Born Yesterday, Why Worry, These Shoes, Some Hearts - can rank with the early stuff. Wish they were still recording or touring, not many first generation rockers are still alive, or active.

Problem with The Evs is, dispite being brothers, they are almost always in a fight. Thats the reasons they wont go on stage anymore or do any recordings. Their last trip to the UK ( in 2005) also showed that their voices were not as strong anymore, but they still did sound great in harmony parts.

Interesting. Where did you get that from ? I thought Phil and Don resolved all their conflicts in the mid1980's. I think we should remember that Don at 74 is all but retired. His son Eden has recorded a duet with Uncle Phil called "Tatum".
It's on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMV9IqgQ ... re=related

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Robt wrote:
MORERO wrote:

Interesting. Where did you get that from ? I thought Phil and Don resolved all their conflicts in the mid1980's. I think we should remember that Don at 74 is all but retired. His son Eden has recorded a duet with Uncle Phil called "Tatum".
It's on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMV9IqgQ ... re=related

In recent years i've heard many stories from the president of Everly Brothers International (EBI) which is seated in Holland. Even at their final UK tour ( 2005) they refused to be in the same dressing room. They looked great together in front of the rolling cameras, but backstage there were the usual conflicts. Also their last recorded studio album 'Some Hearts' was mostly recorded seperatly, with Phil only coming in the studio to sing his harmony parts.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 pm

"Stained Glass Morning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKecZjHy7I

Under -rated and Under-appreciated :evil:

Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Robt wrote:"Stained Glass Morning"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKecZjHy7I

Under -rated and Under-appreciated :evil:

One of the many unreleased gemms from the Warner Years. First released in the 1980s on the 'Nice Guys' album. On the Bear Family boxset 'Price Of Love' there are alternate takes of this beauty. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:01 pm

No I believe it was "Chained To A Memory" release. I still have that "Nice Guys" LP. Good on you, My Friend :smt006

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Robt wrote:No I believe it was "Chained To A Memory" release. I still have that "Nice Guys" LP. Good on you, My Friend :smt006

Just checked it and you are right, its 'Chained To A Memory' . :D

Heres the superb 'These Shoes' from the album 'Born Yesterday' .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F_G0NKI9Fw

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 pm

"These Shoes" is a great track, one of the best they did. Ranks right up there with "love Hurts", "Sleepless Nights" and "So Sad" in my book.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Here's another EB song I like and deserves a listen -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf7Ozxvi_Gk

"I Can't Be Myself" recorded at RCA in 1972 and features Chet Atkins. But the song was not released until CHAINED TO A MEMORY Bear Family set.

Enjoy !!!

Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Here are my ten favorite tunes, as sung by those two great guys:

10. So Sad
9. When Will I Be Loved
8. Devoted To You
7. Let It Be Me
6. Cathy's Clown
5. All I Have To Do Is Dream
4. Walk Right Back
3. Maybe Tomorrow
2. Ebony Eyes
1. Like Strangers

Sun May 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Classics.
DSCN0297.JPG

Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm

More
DSCN0298.JPG

Sun May 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Good on you. So how many CD's you have there? Where's "Songs our Daddy taught us" ? Loved the "Rock n Soul" and "Roots" CD reissues !

Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 am

eI'm a big Evs junkie. However, when I went to see them in 2001 I was very disappointed. They were very professional but not much more. I got the impression that they don't especially enjoy performing much anymore.

I agree with Lonely Summer that some of their 80s tracks are definitely worth rediscovery especially "Wings of a Nightingale," "Born Yesterday," and "Always Drive a Cadillac." I also agree that the big problem is the production. If you get the comeback concert in its entirety, that's a killer as well.

I think the best undiscovered Everlys is the music they did in the mid1960s in the first wave of the British Invasion. The songs went almost unnoticed here despite the fact that the Brothers embraced the new style in a way that no other artist of their generation did. Their early rock tributes Rock n' Soul which features a spare and driving reinterpretation of "That'll Be the Day" arguably the best Buddy Holly cover ever, and Beat N' Soul which features the great original "Man With Money" and a cover of "Love is Strange" that became a live show stopper- are splendid. Even better is their 1966 LP Two Yanks in England which featured instrumental help from the Hollies and Jimmy Page and several Hollies' compositions. It's one of their five best LPs and in tracks lik "So Lonely" and "The Collector" some of their all time greatest performances. There are also a lot of great singles and odd album tracks in this time period as well- "Price of Love," a big hit in the UK but nothing in the States, the driving and frenzied "Gone, Gone, Gone," one of their hardest edged singles, "You're the One I Love," Even on the oldies recorded in this period, the Brothers sound engaged, ambitious and above all contemporary. When virtually all their '50s peers save perhaps Chuck Berry, who had a renaissance in 1964 and 1965, were in retreat or confused or in isolation, the Everlys were at a creative peak. It's a shame that the mere of sound of their voices made this seem like your big brother's music on Top 40 radio.

I prefer this stuff more than their late '60s and early '70s movement towards country rock. That stuff was influential and some of it like the brilliant recast of "I Wonder if I Care as Much" at the climax of roots was great, a lot of it was too relevant and too carefully performed. Sometimes it sounded tired.

The other stuff I think that deserves some discovery is the non-hits work from 1960 to 1962. It's Everly Time and A Date With the Everly Brothers are two of the best rock n' roll albums of the early 1960s. And although there were missteps like the easy listening albums but even there were some quality performances tucked away.

I think although the Cadence stuff is the heart of their rep, I would say Warner from 1960 to 1966 was their peak. Save for the very, very best 9 or ten best Cadence tracks- "When Will I Be Loved," "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have to Do is Dream," "Bye Bye Love," "Bird Dog," and a few others, their music was deeper, better sung, more ambitious and more exciting on their second label. The Cadence stuff is more ground breaking though. Still I'd take their "Lucille" on Warners over the Cadence R&B covers like "Hey Doll Baby," and although ballads like "Devoted to You" always tingle my spine, stuff like "Crying in the Rain," and "Always it's You" cut me even deeper.

Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

I have all of their vinyl albums.

Fri May 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I saw the Evs in concert three times - 1984, 1987, and 1989. All were special shows, but it was obvious in 89 that they were tired, it was the end of a long tour. They'd both said back in 84 that they were going to pursue their revived career at their own pace, and only do it as long as it was enjoyable, but I think they got caught up in the machine again, kept doing it just to do it, didn't enjoy being together anymore, weren't even attempting to do any new music. It's gotta be frustrating when the majority of your fans only wanna hear the same old songs all the time, they became a traveling jukebox. Us diehards liked to fantasize about a show where they did lesser known songs like Love Of My Life, Always it's You, Like Strangers, Made to Love, etc. I'd be happy to see Don or Phil do another solo album, but doesn't look like it will ever happen.

Sun May 08, 2011 1:16 am

The Everly Brothers - Devil's Child -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6FCbC707c

What do other's think ?

Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am

Robt wrote:The Everly Brothers - Devil's Child -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb6FCbC707c

What do other's think ?

From the album 'THE HIT SOUND OF' .
Brilliant 60's pop music, but totally ignored at the time, like most of the Brothers' mid sixties albums, which is a real shame.
As you can see below there are some Elvis- connected musicians playing on this album :-)

The Everly Brothers - The Hit Sound Of The Everly Brothers
Warner Bros. WS-1676 (1967)

Side One
1. Blueberry Hill
2. I'm Movin' On
3. Devil's Child
4. Trains And Boats And Planes
5. Sea Of Heartbreak
6. Oh, Boy!

Side Two
1. (I'd Be) A Legend In My Time
2. Let's Go Get Stoned
3. Sticks And Stones
4. The House Of The Rising Sun
5. She Never Smiles Anymore
6. Good Golly Miss Molly

Personnel:
Don Everly - guitar, vocals
Phil Everly - guitar, vocals
Glen Campbell - guitar
JJ Cale - guitar
Don Randi - keyboards
Ray Pohlman - bass
Gary Coleman - percussion
Jim Gordon - drums
Larry Knechtel - keyboards
Myron Sandler - viola
Gary Nuttycombe - viola
Emil Briano - violin
John DeVoogt - violin
Jack Schulman - violin
Darrel Terwilliger - violin
John Vidor - violin
Al Casey - guitar
Ken Watson - percussion
John Gallie - keyboards
Mike Melvoin - keyboards
Hoyt Bohanon - trombone
Dick Hyde - trombone
Thomas Sheoard - trombone
Irving Weinper - viola
Frank Green - violin
Walter Wiemeyer - violin
James Burton - guitar
Don Lanier - guitar
Louis Morell - guitar
Hal Blaine - drums
Don Bagley - bass
Chuck Berghofer - bass
Terry Slater - bass

Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 am

Morero, Here are my 10 favorites, as sung by Don and Phil :

10. Since You Broke My Heart
9. Amanda Ruth
8. Nancy's Minuet (all the outtakes)
7. Omaha (i.e. "I'm going back to Omaha, to Omaha" second version)
6.Love with your Heart
5. Don't you even Try
4. What about me
3. Man with Money (B side of ":The Price of Love")
2. Nice Guys
1. Stained Glass Morning

and last but not least, the entire contents of the "Roots" album.

You like any of them ?. As I am a big fan, I tend to enjoy the rarer stuff more than the well known songs. What do you think? :mrgreen: