Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors

Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:Did Elvis also base his performance of You Can Have Her on Rich's cut?

In some ways, it's a shame Rich is remembered more for the MOR material he cut in the 70s than anything he did previously.

The 70s hits are great material, even if lushly produced. "You Can Have Her" had been revived by a few artists in the 1973-74 period, although Elvis had to have known Charlie's version.

Mike Eder wrote:Isn't funny but to me a lot of great singers aren't remembered for or didn't get real big until after their prime creatively.

Tina Turner (w Ike)
Michael Jackson (with his brothers)
Steve Marriott (with Small Faces)
Kenny Rogers (W First Edition)
Wilie Nelson (pre 1976)

Michael Jackson was past his prime when he went solo?

Off The Wall (1979) and Thriller (1982) are two of his finest albums.

I would also add Tina Turner to the discussion. Private Dancer is one of the finest pop albums from the '80s. She clearly was not past her prime.

Mon May 02, 2011 9:45 am

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
londonflash wrote:Did Elvis also base his performance of You Can Have Her on Rich's cut?

In some ways, it's a shame Rich is remembered more for the MOR material he cut in the 70s than anything he did previously.

The 70s hits are great material, even if lushly produced. "You Can Have Her" had been revived by a few artists in the 1973-74 period, although Elvis had to have known Charlie's version.

Mike Eder wrote:Isn't funny but to me a lot of great singers aren't remembered for or didn't get real big until after their prime creatively.

Tina Turner (w Ike)
Michael Jackson (with his brothers)
Steve Marriott (with Small Faces)
Kenny Rogers (W First Edition)
Wilie Nelson (pre 1976)

Michael Jackson was past his prime when he went solo?

Off The Wall (1979) and Thriller (1982) are two of his finest albums.

I would also add Tina Turner to the discussion. Private Dancer is one of the finest pop albums from the '80s. She clearly was not past her prime.

If one likes eighties pop it's fine I respect that, but I am much more into RnB. Watching her in the eighties she could still perform (though I bet she couldn't match her excellent performance from the TNT show from 1965), but she went down a road I find much less satisfying personally. I happen (musically) to like Ike Turner's style a lot more. Also sticking strictly to her I can't name a song she wrote near as good as Nutbush City Limits in her solo catalog. Even without Ike she made the thrilling River Deep Moutain High which I don't think something like We Don't Need Another Hero can match. Also I happen to think her voice had more power in the sixties and seventies.

I'm not condeming any of the more famous work from these artists or am I saying they are without merit, I just in all these cases like the music they made early on better and thus personally consider it their creative prime. It wasn't their prime popularity wise but I just feel that early music more. One last direct remark, I happen to like the other members of The Small Faces, The First Edition (Kin Vassy could have been as Rogers himself admits could have been as big as Kenny) and The Jackson 5 musically and think they brought out the best in their main attractions. Obviously I like solo artists too, but I do enjoy the give and take you can get with a group and miss that in these cases.

I also will openly admit that I like the music from the early 50's to the early 70's a lot more then what came after in general, I don't dismiss everything since then but I just happen to think recorded music was at its best from say 1951-71, with the more straightforward RnB, Country, Folk, Gospel, and Rock (or in the later 40's proto-rock) five years before and after also holding my interest. There has been great music recorded since that point (and before) but by the mid seventies, and especally since the mid eighties, I find the music on the top 40 less and less enjoyable. Again that's simply my personal taste. I can still tell if someone has talent whether or not its my type of music. As far as the artists I mentioned there are some valid arguments against my views but I don't feel I am wrong for perfering a certain style or era more then another.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Keep going back to this album. Such a great one to chill out and relax too. Beautiful singer.