Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: SHAKIN' STEVENS

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Found a pre order for Rockin' Country Blues with a cover shot .............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Country-Bl ... 351&sr=1-1

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Got the tracklisting for these two now ..........

* 1. Rockin' The Night Away
* 2. Love Attack
* 3. You And I Were Meant To Be
* 4. You Never Talked About Me
* 5. Fire
* 6. Don't Knock Upon My Door
* 7. Vanessa
* 8. Your Ma Said You Cried In Your Sleep Last Night
* 9. Come On Little Girl (Chrome Sitar)
* 10. It's Good For You (Baby)
* 11. Treat Her Right
* 12. Brand New Man
* 13. Radio
* 14. Nobody
* 15. So Long Baby Goodbye

* 1. Don't She Look Good
* 2. Tired Of Toein' The Line
* 3. Shooting Gallery
* 4. Don't Lie To Me
* 5. Make Me Know You're Mine
* 6. Marie Marie
* 7. Let Me Show You How
* 8. Just One Look
* 9. With My Heart
* 10. If You're Gonna Cry
* 11. Livin' Lovin' Wreck
* 12. Don't Be Late (Miss Kate)
* 13. Turning Away
* 14. You Drive Me Crazy
* 15. Slippin' And Slidin'

Alot my favs on this one ....................

::rocks

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:22 pm

HI
Saw Shaky & sunsets in 1976 - BRILLIANT
Saw Shaky in Elvis show in London - BRILLIANT
Saw Shaky on tour in 1981 - 1983 & 1999 - BRILLIANT
Best tracks - Never - You mostest girl - Girl in red - Ollie Vee - It came out of the sky - Brand new man -
Don't be two faced - Let's dance - Too too much - most of the Sunsets stuff TOP RnR

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Saw him perform at a festival in Belgium last week. Shaky was great, but he sang only a couple of big hits and lots of unfamiliar songs (to Joe Public that is), which the 30,000 audience obviously didn't seem to appreciate.

On the set list were: Don't She Look Good, Love You Out Loud, Marie Marie, Down Into Muddy Water, Now Listen, It's Raining, Don't Lie To Me, You Never Talked About Me, Cry Just A Little Bit, Laser Love, Radio, Green Door, Last Man Alive, This Ole House and Fire Down Below.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Shakin48 wrote:Saw him perform at a festival in Belgium last week. Shaky was great, but he sang only a couple of big hits and lots of unfamiliar songs (to Joe Public that is), which the 30,000 audience obviously didn't seem to appreciate.

On the set list were: Don't She Look Good, Love You Out Loud, Marie Marie, Down Into Muddy Water, Now Listen, It's Raining, Don't Lie To Me, You Never Talked About Me, Cry Just A Little Bit, Laser Love, Radio, Green Door, Last Man Alive, This Ole House and Fire Down Below.

Well there are five big hits there (Marie, Raining, Cry Just A Little Bit, Green Door and This Ole House). Don't She Look Good was a fine album track from the Shaky LP and Fire Down Below certainly fits into the Shakin Stevens mould - there's nothing out of character or unfamiliar in a song like that, even if you don't know the song itself. And it doesn't take many verses before you catch on to the limited chorus. I don't know the others, but its only expected that a singer would try and sell some of their new material to the audience at a show.

But any singer will probably tell you the same thing (even on the pub and club circuit), you lose the audiences attention as soon as you sing something remotely unfamiliar. It's such a shame.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:33 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Well there are five big hits there (Marie, Raining, Cry Just A Little Bit, Green Door and This Ole House). I don't know the others, but its only expected that a singer would try and sell some of their new material to the audience at a show.

But any singer will probably tell you the same thing (even on the pub and club circuit), you lose the audiences attention as soon as you sing something remotely unfamiliar. It's such a shame.

Well, Marie Marie wasn't a hit in Belgium and Raining and Cry Just A Little Bit were hits, but forgotten hits as they hardly been played on the radio after they charted.. So, for the crowd in Belgium he only played a couple of hits they recognised. Sure, he should try new material to the audience, but the audience at this festival only bought tickets to party and singalong to hits. That's all they wanted to hear: hits, hits and more hits. That's the kind of festival it was.
Me, being a huge fan, I enjoyed it of course and I knew all of the songs he did, but I noticed a lot of people wanted to hear more songs they knew.
So, he's touring the UK next fall, he can do as many albumtracks and new tracks as he'd like, but when doing festivals in Europe he should do a better mixture of well known songs and unfamiliar songs. (That's my opinion.)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Shakin48 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Well there are five big hits there (Marie, Raining, Cry Just A Little Bit, Green Door and This Ole House). I don't know the others, but its only expected that a singer would try and sell some of their new material to the audience at a show.

Well, Marie Marie wasn't a hit in Belgium and Raining and Cry Just A Little Bit were hits, but forgotten hits as they hardly been played on the radio after they charted.. So, for the crowd in Belgium he only played a couple of hits they recognised. Sure, he should try new material to the audience, but the audience at this festival only bought tickets to party and singalong to hits. That's all they wanted to hear: hits, hits and more hits. That's the kind of festival it was.
Me, being a huge fan, I enjoyed it of course and I knew all of the songs he did, but I noticed a lot of people wanted to hear more songs they knew.
So, he's touring the UK next fall, he can do as many albumtracks and new tracks as he'd like, but when doing festivals in Europe he should do a better mixture of well known songs and unfamiliar songs. (That's my opinion.)

Totally agree :-)

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 am

Shakin48 wrote:

I forgot the gig was in Europe. It may well be that he forgets what songs were hits in which countries!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:00 am

This is my favorite Shaky song, and I think it's the best Christmas song ever! it's so catchy I couldn't find the original music video of it on YouTube, which is one of the best Christmas music videos ever! :P

phpBB [video]

I forgot how much I like Shakin Stevens songs, his songs had the Soul,the beat and the rythm accombined with 80s pop sound, but it lacked the fire and the umph.He did a lot of songs from the 50s and 60s and turn it into 80s pop style hits. I downloaded a Shakin Stevens album, now I'm thinking of going out and buying a CD album and a DVD (I don't like buying it online). 8)

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Try buying the new 'theme' cd 'Red Hot & Rockin', it features some of Shaky's finest rock 'n' roll tracks. It's worth getting, but so are the other 'themed' CDs.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

whatsthe value of the Elvis astoria soundtrack on cd?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Shakin48 wrote:Try buying the new 'theme' cd 'Red Hot & Rockin', it features some of Shaky's finest rock 'n' roll tracks. It's worth getting, but so are the other 'themed' CDs.

Thanks I will check it out 8) Do you know which is the best DVD to buy?

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:21 pm

The soundtrack of the Elvis musical (recorded at the Astoria in 1978) has never been officially released on cd, but I do believe that Raucous Records from the UK pressed it on cd. It's not worth that much.

Unfortunately, there is only 1 dvd of Shaky available, it's called The DVD Collection and features most of his videos (30), including his Christmas clips, apart from this are some recent tv performances, a biography, an interview and a photo gallery.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Shakin48 wrote:The soundtrack of the Elvis musical (recorded at the Astoria in 1978) has never been officially released on cd, but I do believe that Raucous Records from the UK pressed it on cd. It's not worth that much.

Unfortunately, there is only 1 dvd of Shaky available, it's called The DVD Collection and features most of his videos (30), including his Christmas clips, apart from this are some recent tv performances, a biography, an interview and a photo gallery.

Thanks for the info Shakin48 i do have the raucous cd version that a friend gave me,i quite like it as a souvenir of the show i saw way back when

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Look what I've found on YouTube :P
phpBB [video]

Look at them girls swing like mad :P This stuff is real Rockabilly ! Laugh out loud at the guy with the moustache playing the guitar, but credit to him he really hits that thing 8)

You know what I wish for this Christmas, I wish that every single female in this world wears a dress/skirt 8) Please Santa dont let this poor boy down and let my wish come true 8)

Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:52 am

Somebody Touched Me is a cool song.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Happy Birthday to Shaky, he's 64 years old now !

At the moment he's recording a new album, two third of the album is finished.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 pm

"Will you still need me, will you still feed me..." :D
Happy Birthday Shaky! Love and greetings from Germany!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Reading this is particularly interesting as it shows once again that the world can be united via the web, but also split. Most people in America would not consider Shaky a classic artist, and yet he was number one selling solo artist in Britain in the 1980s. Conversely, many artists and hits that the Americans think everyone knows were not hits here. WE need to be a bit more understanding of the differences in our cultures that, prior to the web, we didn't even know existed.

Such issues have come up continuously. For example, when the Southern Nights FTD came out it was insinuated that people were stupid for not knowing it was named after the Glen Campbell hit of 1977 with the same name. And yet the song was not a hit outside of the USA/Canada. I still see no reason why an FTD should be named after a song by another artist, and don't believe it even was, but that's just an example.

As for what is and isn't a classic artist - it appears to me that Midnight X's only contributions to this section of the board is to tell us that X or Y isn't a classic artist. But hey, if it gives him a sense of superiority by making such judgements, let's just give him his little thrill.

As for Stevens's comparisons with Elvis, it always seems to me that he has tried to avoid this in what he recorded as well. He rarely covered Elvis songs once he hit the big time. With the exception of the Christmas LP, none of his albums between 1981 and 1990 featured songs associated with Elvis with two exceptions - Lonely Blue Boy and True Love, and one could hardly call the latter an Elvis song, while Lonely Blue Boy was more associated with Marty Wilde than Elvis in the UK at that point. He seemed to go out of his way to avoid comparisons by not recording Elvis songs at all wherever possible. Instead, he concentrated on recording songs associated with other 50s artists from Frankie Vaughan's Green Door to Rosemary Clooney's This Ol' House to Dinah Washington and Brook Benton's Rockin Good Way to Ricky Nelson's It's Late. In reality, Stevens's style is far more rockabilly than it is rock n roll and is certainly responsible for many 30- and 40-somethings having a love of that music today as he was very very popular during our teenage years.

Fri May 11, 2012 10:56 pm

This week BBC Wales broadcasted a great documentary about Shaky. Some of the people that spoke were Paul Barrett (his manager from 1968-1977), Stuart Colman (producer), Jack Good, Muff Winwood etc. The docu starts with Shaky listening to one of his favourite artists Big Joe Turner. It also features some rare footage, even stuff from the award winning Elvis musical. Well worth seeing !

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X8W5kzpVkM

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5m_LRIrjc4

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-H9tH-iJE

Sat May 12, 2012 11:38 am

Nice! Catch It while it's still up, it will probably be removed from you-tube ...

Sat May 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Great! Britains very own rock'n'roll singer who kept the flame burning througout the 80's. IMO he had the definitive versions of severall songs including 'This O'le House' and 'The Green Door' amongst others. Although I still have a great affection for the version by Frankie Vaughn which in itself, IMO was much better than Jim Lowe's original.

This also bought back happy memouries of seeing 'the Elvis Show' in '78.