Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bruce Springsteen - Heartbreak Hotel (live 1978)

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARTNetvG_hs

Pretty darn good !!! In fact it may be the best cover!

I understand it is from an FM broadcast that later came out on a boot.

What do others think?

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Heartbreak Hotel (live 1978)

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes, it is from his famous July 7. 1978 show at the Roxy which was added to the tour schedule very last minute. It was broadcast live for the 500 fans who couldn't get in on KMET in Los Angeles, the first of five Darkness shows broadcast on the radio in 1978.

The song choice was a completely unscipted moment. Bruce's guitat went out of turn following "Backstreets" so while his roadie retuned it, he imporvised "Heartbreak Hotel." He sang the song several more times during the 1978 tour.

Check on the full show which you can find on Crystal Cat's "Roxy Night." BTW, Bruce has the full show in archive as several songs from this show made their way onto Live 75/85.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm

You know some years ago there was some stupid titled release called "Last temptation of Elvis" where various artists contributed a cover (unfortunately most of the tracks left a lot to be desired :roll: ) . However the proceeds of sales was for some charity.
I think it would be a great idea if somebody brought out a more quality package for say, the Japan tragedy and included "Heartbreak Hotel" by Bruce.
So regardless of whether a track was on boot release. It's the Quality that counts.

Fri May 06, 2011 4:12 am

Robt wrote:You know some years ago there was some stupid titled release called "Last temptation of Elvis" where various artists contributed a cover (unfortunately most of the tracks left a lot to be desired :roll: ) .

Yes and Bruce appeared on it with his version of "Viva Las Vegas." I think the idea was for each artist to do an Elvis movie song, although McCartney broke the rules with "It's Now or Never."