Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Tell me about Neil Young

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I only have one CD of Young's, and it's a greatest hits, but I was watching him on Sky Arts yesterday for a while (I had to go out) and realise this is someone's back catalogue that needs exploring.

This is from the program they were showing:

phpBB [video]

So, please make your recommendations!

Re: Tell me about Neil Young

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

One of rock's most talented and prolific artists. Lots of great material to explore.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:54 pm

My favorites:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:25 am

Londonflash - Did you listen to his Elvis tribute I posted on off-topics ?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey Robt, I will go and check it out.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 pm

intheghetto wrote:During the 80s and even in to the 90s, his stuff seemed to be a little more inconsistent. But there's still great stuff from that time as well.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 am

For me he's one of those weird artists that I respect and like as a person but don't particularly enjoy that much. I admired very much that he kept his music tough into old age, and he kept abreast of contemporary music sounds for a long time. I very much enjoyed Mirror Ball his collaboration with Pearl Jam. He gave artists like Pearl Jam hope that they could record into middle age and keep the same aesthetic chose. I always thought Crosby, Stills and Nash were actually interesting when he worked with mostly because he brought that toughness to their sound, a toughness sorely lacking on anything else they ever did. I admire his way with an interview and his praise of many type of music. And I really admire his stance against the corporate influence on pop music from the 1980s until today.

For all that I wish he was a better singer. I wish that his lyrics weren't quite so preachy. I wish his way with a hook was more consistent.

Fri May 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a couple of albums, but if I have to choose just one, it must be "Harvest". It´s a incredible album.

//Björn

Sun May 15, 2011 7:03 am

IMETJB wrote:
intheghetto wrote:During the 80s and even in to the 90s, his stuff seemed to be a little more inconsistent. But there's still great stuff from that time as well.

You can't be serious about Trans.

Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I'm not sure if I am. I don't hold the album too highly... it didn't make the cut of essential albums in my previous post. The album was a bomb but I'm soft to 3 tracks on it.