Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Tell me about Neil Young

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I only have one CD of Young's, and it's a greatest hits, but I was watching him on Sky Arts yesterday for a while (I had to go out) and realise this is someone's back catalogue that needs exploring.

This is from the program they were showing:

phpBB [video]

So, please make your recommendations!

Re: Tell me about Neil Young

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 pm

One of rock's most talented and prolific artists. Lots of great material to explore.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:54 pm

My favorites:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:25 am

Londonflash - Did you listen to his Elvis tribute I posted on off-topics ?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey Robt, I will go and check it out.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 pm

I would probably go off on a small gab-fest if I had to tell you about Neil Young. Off the top of my head I can tell you that the "Godfather of Grunge" could not be a more apt title for the man. As far as I can see he's never been a sell-out and one of the few artists that has sustained a long career on his own terms. Some of his albums are great..some suck, but I never lost respect for the man. I first became aware of him in 1979 when 'Rust Never Sleeps' came out. I was 13 years old and 'Hey, Hey, My, My' was getting alot of airplay on rock radio. The sound of that song coming through a clock radio (even though I did have a stereo at the time...I think) is a sound that is stuck to the fly-paper in my head. The other part of Neil back then was that there seemed to be very few ways of literally seeing a clear picture of him, which added some mystery to the whole thing. Most of his LPs, at least the ones I was seeing at the time, had either unclear images of him or none at all, look at 'Decade' or 'Rust Never Sleeps' for example. The picture of him on 'Tonight's the Night' hardly looks like him. I didn't know alot of Neil Young fans back then and I didn't have the cash to buy alot of his stuff (plus I was more of an Aerosmith fan), so I never saw anything beyond what was on the covers of his records.

I would say start with 'Rust Never Sleeps'. I think it's a pretty well rounded serving of what Neil Young's music has always been about. Some of my other faves are 'After the Gold Rush', 'Zuma', 'On the Beach', and 'Tonight's the Night'. All of his other LPs up to about 1979 have ultra-worthy material on them. During the 80s and even in to the 90s, his stuff seemed to be a little more inconsistent. But there's still great stuff from that time as well.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 pm

intheghetto wrote:During the 80s and even in to the 90s, his stuff seemed to be a little more inconsistent. But there's still great stuff from that time as well.

Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 am

For me he's one of those weird artists that I respect and like as a person but don't particularly enjoy that much. I admired very much that he kept his music tough into old age, and he kept abreast of contemporary music sounds for a long time. I very much enjoyed Mirror Ball his collaboration with Pearl Jam. He gave artists like Pearl Jam hope that they could record into middle age and keep the same aesthetic chose. I always thought Crosby, Stills and Nash were actually interesting when he worked with mostly because he brought that toughness to their sound, a toughness sorely lacking on anything else they ever did. I admire his way with an interview and his praise of many type of music. And I really admire his stance against the corporate influence on pop music from the 1980s until today.

For all that I wish he was a better singer. I wish that his lyrics weren't quite so preachy. I wish his way with a hook was more consistent.

Fri May 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I have a couple of albums, but if I have to choose just one, it must be "Harvest". It´s a incredible album.

//Björn

Sun May 15, 2011 7:03 am

IMETJB wrote:
intheghetto wrote:During the 80s and even in to the 90s, his stuff seemed to be a little more inconsistent. But there's still great stuff from that time as well.

You can't be serious about Trans.

Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I'm not sure if I am. I don't hold the album too highly... it didn't make the cut of essential albums in my previous post. The album was a bomb but I'm soft to 3 tracks on it.