Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Cheap Trick - Then and Now!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Back in 1979/1980 Cheap Trick were one of the hotest acts and was competing against KISS mania when they toured Australia. Back then you either liked KISS or you liked Cheap Trick. I was firmly a CT fan.

What follows is "I Want You To Want Me" from their classic "Live at Budokan" album (now available on DVD).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQ9dm7zaQU

CT were fans of the Beatles and the following is the "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" medley -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUio17-e ... re=related

Loved the "Abbey Road" concluder track but I have to say that this version is almost as great as the original, they´╗┐ did a great job with the Beatles songs!

What do others think?

Re: Cheap Trick - Then and Now!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 pm

When Cheap Trick was good, they rocked. When they were bad, they were really bad.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm

I Want You To Want Me is a classic track ! it was also covered well by letters to cleo http://youtu.be/2K_rgD-gScs

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 pm

The "Live at Budokan" version of IWYTWM is but one of a very few examples of the live cut being better than the studio record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iO5OM5 ... re=related

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 am

I was listening to Cheap Trick before they made it big in the States, in fact I had a 45 of "California Man" from the "Heaven Tonight" album, with the live version of "I Want You to Want Me" - this was several months before it was on the radio. I kept seeing import copies of the Budokan album in the stores, it was kind of pricey but I wanted to get it, and then of course it got a proper stateside release. Saw them in concert that summer - the loudest show I'd been to, but it was great, of course they did everything on the Budokan album plus some new stuff from the forthcoming "Dream Police". Seems like they fell from favor very quickly, though. They've done some good stuff in recent years, though. Their 1997 self titled album on Red Ant Records is worth looking for - I see it in bargain bins all the time.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 am

Robt wrote:The "Live at Budokan" version of IWYTWM is but one of a very few examples of the live cut being better than the studio record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iO5OM5 ... re=related

It happens more than you think.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Robt wrote: Back then you either liked KISS or you liked Cheap Trick.

Not true, I was a fan of both. Although in 79/80 Kiss was definitely hitting a slump.

I saw Cheap Trick every year from 1981-1985, that means I saw them with every bass player they had (Tom Petersson, Jon Brant, and the other guy with the afro whose name escapes me). That first year that I saw them on the Dream Police tour, UFO was the opening act. Over the years I've seen them somewhere in the neighborhood of ten times. The last time I saw them about five years ago, their set was a bit disappointing. They don't play enough old stuff and rely alot on their substandard material that they did in the late 80s. FYI: Bun E. Carlos has retired from the band and Rick Neilsen's son Dax is the drummer. They should have been in the RRHOF by now.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:35 pm

I didn't know that Bun E. had retired. Dax was with them a few years ago at a gig and I thought he was just filling in. It didn't make any difference, though, daddy Carlos obviously taught him well.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:13 pm

intheghetto wrote:
Robt wrote: Back then you either liked KISS or you liked Cheap Trick.

Not true, I was a fan of both. Although in 79/80 Kiss was definitely hitting a slump.

I saw Cheap Trick every year from 1981-1985, that means I saw them with every bass player they had (Tom Petersson, Jon Brant, and the other guy with the afro whose name escapes me). That first year that I saw them on the Dream Police tour, UFO was the opening act. Over the years I've seen them somewhere in the neighborhood of ten times. The last time I saw them about five years ago, their set was a bit disappointing. They don't play enough old stuff and rely alot on their substandard material that they did in the late 80s. FYI: Bun E. Carlos has retired from the band and Rick Neilsen's son Dax is the drummer. They should have been in the RRHOF by now.

Thanks but I meant in Australia. I loved the "Dream Police" album especially "Gonna raise Hell". That looks like Bun E. Carlos on the Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight you tube video. Are you sure he's "retired" ?

Finally, Yes Cheap Trick should have been in the RRHOF, so to for that matter should KISS (albeit I'm not really a Kiss fan). Hope some promoter will have the balls to bring Cheap Trick to Australia soon!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:49 am

Robt wrote:
That looks like Bun E. Carlos on the Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight you tube video. Are you sure he's "retired" ?

Okay let me rephrase what I mentioned: he's not 'retired' he's just no longer the 'touring drummer' for the band. Here's a quote from his Wikipedia entry, "On March 19, 2010, Cheap Trick issued a statement that Carlos is not the current touring drummer for Cheap Trick but that he still remains a band member. Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen's son Daxx was named in the statement as the touring drummer."

Cheap Trick was on the Conan O'Brien show not that long ago and Daxx was on drums. I've read in the last few years that Bun E. had some issues with RSI (repetitive stress injury), common among drummers from sitting the same way and repeating the same moves night after night. I'm not surprised he called it quits on touring. Those guys are getting up there. Rick is over 60 now!