Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Monkees - Daily Nightly

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:06 pm

phpBB [video]

Re: The Monkees - Daily Nightly

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:35 am

Interesting that the song was written by Mike, but sung by Mickey. Of course, Dolenz was the group's best lead vocalist, as he shows on this track. Both of these guys had spent time hanging with the Beatles in London earlier this year (1967) and the influence of the Pepper-era Beatles sessions is palpable.

This site review sums it up well:

In 1967 it seemed every rock band was putting out a psychedelic album and this is what the Monkees offered. Really its only half psychedelic, that being the second half of it. The best Psychedelic song found on this album, "Star Collector", is also one of the best ever Psychedelic songs. A Gerry Goffin/Carol King song written about groupies. It was the second rock song to feature the newly invented synthesizer, which would soon boot out the old mellotrons. Yet the best part of this song is the frenzy organ.

The very first rock song to use a synthesizer is also found on this album on "Daily Nightly". Michael Nesmith wrote this song but it was Micky Dolenz who played the synthesizer and sang the lead vocals. One hell of a great job at it, I might add. The synthesizer was a hit and here to stay.

http://www.keno.org/classic_rock/album_reviews/pisces_aquarius_capricorn_and_jones_ltd.htm

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks for the additional info.

Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd is a brilliant album, especially in its expanded form.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

londonflash wrote:Thanks for the additional info.

Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd is a brilliant album, especially in its expanded form.

Yes, superb, although I can live without "Percy Patterson's Pet Pig Porky"!!! LOL "Salesman" is a belter and "Pleasant valley sunday" an absolute classic.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:03 pm

My favourite group ever!

Such a great track - good ol' mike new how to pen a classic.

And Mickey's vocals are as amazing as ever. PO Box 9847 is another big fave of mine from this period.

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Another great song with a C&W feel. It's listed as being by Michael Nesmith, but it's actually on the album "Instant Replay" by The Monkees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QsEPWr_KSs

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah , all the Nemith tracks he did during the Monkees perido gathered together make a great double album of country and psych-country. I made my CDR's years ago. I did two Davy CD's and two Mickey ones too. All very enjoyable with Nesmith's being my personal favourites. He or course re-cut several of them in his solo RCA albums which are all excellent. MAGNETIC SOUTH is my favourite album of all time.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:58 am

I always loved the trippy-ness of the Daily Nightly clip. The black and white, the weird angles, and Mike Nesmith keeping the same pose throughout. I was born in '66, probably a few months after The Monkees TV show debuted but I started watching around '71 or '72 when it went into syndication and never stopped being a fan. It was a great day in 1986 when MTV announced that they were going to re-run the show regularly because somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s the show once again disappeared from the airwaves. I have the complete seasons on DVD and even if I don't get a chance to watch, we always run the Christmas show during the holidays.

'MIJACOGEO' is one of my fave episodes:

phpBB [video]