Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Spandau Ballet - True

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 am

Ever so slightly before I was I twinkle in my mum's eye........... Ch-o-ooooooon!!!!

phpBB [video]

Re: Spandau Ballet - True

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:25 am

Does this song really belong in a "classic artists" section?

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm

midnightx wrote:Does this song really belong in a "classic artists" section?

I guess they were bigger over here than in America, where they were pretty much one-hit wonders. I'd consider "True" to be a pop classic though.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 am

TJ wrote:

I guess they were bigger over here than in America, where they were pretty much one-hit wonders. I'd consider "True" to be a pop classic though.

Some may argue that point, but as a band, Spandau Ballet is hardly a "classic" act.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

midnightx wrote:
TJ wrote:

Some may argue that point, but as a band, Spandau Ballet is hardly a "classic" act.

I get what you're saying, but they were (and still are) a very popular act with a few brilliant tracks, in my opinion. The people who packed into venues during their last tour might disagree, but it's all down to personal taste.

Are they in the top tier of all-time acts? No, they're nowhere near, but that doesn't mean they didn't cut the odd classic.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:27 pm

londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
TJ wrote:

I get what you're saying, but they were (and still are) a very popular act with a few brilliant tracks, in my opinion. The people who packed into venues during their last tour might disagree, but it's all down to personal taste.

Are they in the top tier of all-time acts? No, they're nowhere near, but that doesn't mean they didn't cut the odd classic.

For people like me, born in 1968, the "new romantic" period had a couple of bands that are classic acts, at least for our generation, probably like T.Rex, Gary Glitter and Slade were classic act for people born in the early sixties.. I was never a fan of Spandau ballet, but liked this track and "Gold". Tony Hadley was a good vocalist. Other important band from this era was/are Ultravox, Duran Duran, Human legaue and so on. My favourites were Ultravox and Duran Duran. I still like them today and went to an Ultravox gig in 2010. I will see Duran Duran on tour in Sweden june 15 (Gothenburg, Sweden). Duran Duran´s new album "All you need is now" is actually one of their 3 best records. Highly recommended.

//Björn

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:07 am

dreambear wrote:
londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
TJ wrote:

For people like me, born in 1968, the "new romantic" period had a couple of bands that are classic acts, at least for our generation, probably like T.Rex, Gary Glitter and Slade were classic act for people born in the early sixties.. I was never a fan of Spandau ballet, but liked this track and "Gold". Tony Hadley was a good vocalist. Other important band from this era was/are Ultravox, Duran Duran, Human legaue and so on. My favourites were Ultravox and Duran Duran. I still like them today and went to an Ultravox gig in 2010. I will see Duran Duran on tour in Sweden june 15 (Gothenburg, Sweden). Duran Duran´s new album "All you need is now" is actually one of their 3 best records. Highly recommended.

//Björn

You'll have a blast at the Duran Duran gig. I saw them live at the Lovebox festival a couple of summers ago and they were tremendous. Despite being in their late 40's / early 50's, they still put everything into their oldies. I vaguely recall being chatted up by some big Aussie bird and then dancing through the encore with an American sort, much to the chagrin of my mate, who was wasted on Tuborg.

I love (Keep Feeling) Fascination by the Human League!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm

londonflash wrote:
dreambear wrote:
londonflash wrote:
midnightx wrote:
TJ wrote:

//Björn

You'll have a blast at the Duran Duran gig. I saw them live at the Lovebox festival a couple of summers ago and they were tremendous. Despite being in their late 40's / early 50's, they still put everything into their oldies. I vaguely recall being chatted up by some big Aussie bird and then dancing through the encore with an American sort, much to the chagrin of my mate, who was wasted on Tuborg.

I love (Keep Feeling) Fascination by the Human League!

Oh, I´m longing for this. Simon Le Bon isn´t the best singer in the world, but he sounds like nobody. But John Taylor is a helluva bassplayer. he would easly fit in i any funk/soul band.

Duran Duran could really be a classic artist by any means, as they had couple of number one hits in the US and perhaps 10 top ten hits in England.

Have a nice day!//Björn