Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Bruce Springsteen

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:23 am

Besides a ton of other Springsteen songs, this is a beauty :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elhqe_943pM

Re: Bruce Springsteen

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 am

Agreed. It was a pleasant surprise when I first heard it on the Greatest Hits CD back in '95. I would love to hear the other tracks recorded with his '93 touring band. That series of sessions is where Secret Garden originated from. The E Street Band clearly did a fine job on the track a year or so later.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am

Haven't had a change to see him live yet....it's on my toplist...

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Sun Hero wrote:Haven't had a change to see him live yet....it's on my toplist...

I've seen Springsteen 3 times, the first time on the 1981 "The River" tour - truly a brilliant performer. Recently watched his 2009 Hyde Park show on DVD, 60 years old and still nothing short of great.

It's really pure Rock 'N' Roll, the way he understood it be when first watching Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show. From the same Rock 'N' Roll stock as people such as John Lennon. Sadly there are not so many of these people around anymore.

This is brilliant.....

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 am

While I'm aware of "Born in the USA" (both album and the single) and a few other Bruce songs, I knew of a diehard Springsteen friend who one time advised me not to get the Live 1975-1985 set as the music contained "lots of overdubs". In 1994, I think it was, I was just about set to add a few more of Bruce albums into my collection, only to be discouraged by one of his diehard fans, LOL.
Has there ever been a complete Bruce Springsteen E Street Band concert from the late 1970's, either remixed or remastered from the original tapes ? Also would a Bob Dylan styled Bootleg series that officially came out in 1991, work with Bruce?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 am

The "Live 1975-1985" set isn't so much overdubbed as it is edited in parts. Regardless, it is still a quality set. The first two discs are essential.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 am

Sun Hero wrote:Besides a ton of other Springsteen songs, this is a beauty :

phpBB [video]

I've never been moved by "Secret Garden."

Here are some Bruce may never release. They are, quite frankly, incredible.

phpBB [video]

Preacher's Daughter
Recorded at New York's Record Plant, circa October 1977.
Outtake from Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978).

phpBB [video]

Cindy
Recorded at New York's Power Station in 1979.
Outtake from The River (1980).

phpBB [video]

Follow That Dream
Paris - April 19, 1981
Original cover arrangement, this was its debut performance.
It was only heard in 1981 concerts.

phpBB [video]

Child Bride
Outtake from demo cassette that became Nebraska (1982).

phpBB [video]

The Klansman
Stunning 1983 8-track, solo home demo.

phpBB [video]

Waiting On The End Of The World
Recorded in January 1995 at New York's Hit Factory, from the same sessions as "Secret Garden."
An unissued version was cut the year before, featuring Shane Fontayne and other members of the 1992-3 touring band.

phpBB [video]

Dream Baby Dream
East Rutherford, NJ - May 19, 2005
Cover of song by New York art-rock band Suicide.

And there's more where this came from. What an amazing artist!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 am

Cindy is an all-time favorite of mine. If "The River" is given the deluxe treatment, perhaps we'll finally get an official release of Cindy. That was one of the obvious omissions from Tracks.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:31 am

midnightx wrote:Cindy is an all-time favorite of mine. If "The River" is given the deluxe treatment, perhaps we'll finally get an official release of Cindy. That was one of the obvious omissions from Tracks.

Maybe intentional, as it is a top-shelf recording. Bruce probably knew even in 1998 that a second collection of studio outtakes was a certainty. His prolific songwriting really blows my mind. And that's just one aspect of the man's artistry.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:Cindy is an all-time favorite of mine. If "The River" is given the deluxe treatment, perhaps we'll finally get an official release of Cindy. That was one of the obvious omissions from Tracks.

Maybe intentional, as it is a top-shelf recording. Bruce probably knew even in 1998 that a second collection of studio outtakes was a certainty. His prolific songwriting really blows my mind. And that's just one aspect of the man's artistry.

Agreed. If I recall correctly, he did deliver a 6CD working version of "Tracks" to Columbia. Perhaps Cindy was part of the original line-up prior to Columbia requesting the set be pared down to 4 retail-friendly CDs. My fear is that if Cindy is held back for a deluxe version of The River, Bruce and company may go into the studio and "add" additional modern-day instrumentation/vocals to an already perfect performance.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 am

So the answer to my last paragraph is no, I take it?

Bruce really needs to lighten up. The fact is, like a lot of his peers virtually every concert tour he has performed since the 70's would either have been recorded by someone in the audience or soundboard engineer. So if Bruce doesn't release any of his own recordings, there are plenty of bootleggers who will gladly step forward to satisfy the demand. Just because Bruce or Sony doesn't release a concert doesn't mean they won't get heard. It only means his fans will end up listening to inferior recordings. As an example, Elton John has a downloading website via Elton John Corporation where his fans can downlaod in most cases, for free nearly 100 of his concerts ranging from 1970's to present. Sadly however not the complete MSG 1974. I was talking about this to mamamax (the you tube uploader) who's going to ask EJ's management as to why that is and if there's any intention to.

Anyhow my point is, Is there any reason why Bruce cannot licence a similar fan club downloading website the way Elton John Corporation has ?

Let's see which one replies, LOL....

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 am

Robt wrote:So the answer to my last paragraph is no, I take it?

Incorrect Wally. Bruce has issued material from his archives, just not in a systematic series as Bob Dylan has. If you want a complete Springsteen concert from the '70s via a multi-track source, check out "Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: Hammersmith Odeon, London '75." Additionally, a stellar complete soundboard from 1978 in Houston, TX has been issued as part of the Darkness On The Edge Of Town box set. Enjoy.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 am

You really miss Wally don't you, Johnny? Just for the record he was murdered.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 am

Robt wrote:You really miss Wally don't you, Johnny? Just for the record he was murdered.

Schizophrenia will do that to a man. At least your other half survived.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

midnightx wrote:
Robt wrote:You really miss Wally don't you, Johnny? Just for the record he was murdered.

Schizophrenia will do that to a man. At least your other half survived.

You should know you're one, johnny...

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am

My fav bruce song a rock classic ! this came out the summer i left school played it non stop for weeks.

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Doc, I was at the Devils and Dust show where he played "Dream Baby Dream" in the clip you linked to above. That's the night the speaker cabinents on one side blew out 5 songs in and, in response to complants which Bruce thought were loud requests, Bruce told those fans to leave and get your money at the door. When told later what happened, he tried to joke about it calling it the attack of his relatives. :D
Last edited by Mike C on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Mike C wrote:Doc, I was the Devils and Dust show where he played "Dream Baby Dream" in the clip you linked to above.

You were at that show?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Doc, I was the Devils and Dust show where he played "Dream Baby Dream" in the clip you linked to above.

You were at that show?

Yup! Sat in Section 204!