Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Johnny Cash

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi,

I have been a fan of Johnny Cash since 1969 when I first heard the album Johnny Cash At San Quentin. In 1994 I started the Johnny Cash fanzine The Man in Black which is now in its 17th year of publication. During that time we have interviewed many people associated with Cash (musicians, family members, producers etc) and written numerous articles covering all aspects of Cash's incredible career. More details about the fanzine can be found on our website at www.johnnycashfanzine.com

In 2002 my prize-nominated book A Johnny Cash Chronicle: I've Been Everywhere was published and recently I published a completely updated edition in ebook format. Once again more details can be found on our website.

We have some great plans for the future so if you are a fan why not subscribe and keep up with all the Cash news.

Any other Cash fans out there?

Peter

Re: Johnny Cash

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes, but I'm not going to subscribe to anything. Cash's Madison Square Garden CD is addicting. When I bought it a few years ago, I couldn't stop playing it. I recently bought "The Lost Performance" featuring a 1990 show and I enjoy the hell out of it.

I saw Johnny Cash on January 30, 1988 at the Louisville Gardens. He was there along with Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard.

That was a great night.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Rob wrote:Yes, but I'm not going to subscribe to anything. Cash's Madison Square Garden CD is addicting.

Indeed. A great concert.
I saw two different versions. One had the lettering on the cover in red and one in white. I've got the white-one. Is there any difference between these two except for the mentioned one ?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:21 am

I will have to get copies of those cd's. Recently found a sealed copy of "The Survivors" - Cash with Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins in Germany, early 80's. Of course, I've got the prison albums, too. San Quentin was probably the first album of his I heard - a friend's dad had it, was probably the only thing in his collection we liked. Another friend had one of those Harmony budget label Cash collections. Saw his tv shows as a kid, too, so I guess I've always been a fan. I loved the sound he had with his group. Luther Perkins wasn't a virtuoso, but his style was perfect for the songs John was doing.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 am

Literally I've only just started getting into Johnny Cash this week (i'm younger than you think). I saw a documentary on the Folsom Prison concerts on Sky Arts HD1 the other day and it blew me away. I'm going to purchase the album asap. I've always been aware of his most famous hits, the Rick Rubin stuff and his life-story and man in black persona but never really payed much attention to now. Been so busy exploring other legendary music.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:22 am

Hey, Chuck!

If you don't have the Madison Square Garden show from '69, get it.

If you don't love it, I'll pay you back for it.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Rob wrote:Hey, Chuck!

Good call ,Rob,its a great album

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 am

Rob wrote:Hey, Chuck!

I'll have to check it out Rob!

Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Next to ELVIS,Johnny Cash is my fave.What a great artist he was and still is 8)

Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 pm

One of my great regrets is not seeing John in concert more than once. The one show I saw was very nice, Marshall Grant was still with him at the time - 1979- and they had just recorded a gospel album, and performed several of those songs, along with all the hits. June had a spot in the show, of course, and we loved her. In early 1997, a friend had heard that John was doing a show in our area, so we decided to go, then it was cancelled, due to his health problems, and we never had another chance to see him. Fortunately, we have the live albums and videos to remind us what a charismatic performer he was.