Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Chas & Dave - The Farewell Tour 2011

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Don't know how many of you guys are into Chas & Dave here. I guess you will probably only be aware of them if you're from the UK, or even London for that matter. Classic group whose peak was the late 70s and early 80s - they practically represent a whole genre - "Rockney". Classic Rock n Roll fused with traditional Cockney London music, pub tunes and humourous lyrics. They're legends in certain parts of working class London anyway!

Wll - they're heroes of mine - and it's their final ever tour. I went with my pals to see them at the indigO2 music venue inside the O2 Centre (Millenium Dome) in South-East London on Thursday night. It was possibly one of the best nights I've ever had - they rocked the house with their unique music. Just such a fun night, the beer was flowing in copious amounts - and so too the good times. If any of you are interested in them, go and see them, you won't regret it as it's the final ever tour as they're both the wrong side of 60 (although by their performance you wouldn't know it). They did their usual classics along with some old Chuck Berry, Fats Domino etc. numbers. A real blinding night! A great mix of young and old people. How often do you see groups of young 20 year olds right up to people in their 60s all having a great time at a Rock music venue?

When we came out at the end they had these machines that had recorded the concert and were already pressing live copies of the show to take home as mementos for £20. It is a great idea I'd never heard of before and doubtless to say after the amount I drunk that night I bought one!

Also a quick mention should go to one of the support acts that night. This guy called "Buster Shuffle" was amazing. He's like a hark back to the old days, he's only in his early 20s yet plays piano in the style of Jerry Lee Lewis, with a great 4 piece backing band and sings his own earthy material.

Here was the set list for that show I saw on Thursday March 10th:

I Wonder In Whose Arms...
London Girls
Margate
Poor Old Mr. Woogie
The Banging In Your Head
Gertcha
My Blue Heaven
That Old Piano
Breathless
End of Me Old Cigar
Edmonton Green
Wallop!
The Right String Baby, But the Wrong Yo Yo

Short Interval
Rabbit
Instrumental
Snooker Loopy
The Shape I'm In
Rufus Rastus Johnson Brown
It Don't Take But a Few Minutes
The Sideboard Song

The Sideboard Song [Reprise]
Instrumental
One Fing 'n' Anuvva
Ain't No Pleasing You
The Sideboard Song
[Encore]

Re: Chas & Dave - The Farewell Tour 2011

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Sounds like fun, GTC.

One of my favourite episodes of Only Fools And Horses is the one where they all go off on a jolly down to Margate and the Chas 'N' Dave song is used to great affect there.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:33 am

londonflash wrote:Sounds like fun, GTC.

One of my favourite episodes of Only Fools And Horses is the one where they all go off on a jolly down to Margate and the Chas 'N' Dave song is used to great affect there.

Yeah that's my favourite telly show of all time. I love that song, althought my favourite is their usual concert closer, "Ain't No Pleasing You". Number 2 hit record back in the 80s that one.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:00 am

Only Fools and Minder are my top two.

Both have been on the box today.

Sorted!

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 am

If anybody wants a chance to see them, their final gig is in a few weeks time in London. I can get money off the ticket prices, trust me it is worth a visit, one of the best nights out I've ever had, and I'm only a young lad. Just message me for details.