Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Miles Davis

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

I recently purchased the Legacy release "Kind Of Blue".For those who have never heard this,I reccomend this release.Jazz 101.My next stop on the Davis road will be "Sketches Of Spain".
Anyone else here into Davis?Reccomendations?

Re: Miles Davis

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for the recommendations - I'd like to explore his music more.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:26 am

jbnva58 wrote:I recently purchased the Legacy release "Kind Of Blue".For those who have never heard this,I recommend this release.Jazz 101.My next stop on the Davis road will be "Sketches Of Spain".

I'd have to recommend "Bitches Brew."

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 am

IMETJB wrote:
jbnva58 wrote:I recently purchased the Legacy release "Kind Of Blue".For those who have never heard this,I recommend this release.Jazz 101.My next stop on the Davis road will be "Sketches Of Spain".

I'd have to recommend "Bitches Brew."

Yes,a definite "must have".
Wasnt this one a mix of jazz and r&b?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 am

jbnva58 wrote:I recently purchased the Legacy release "Kind Of Blue".For those who have never heard this,I reccomend this release.Jazz 101.My next stop on the Davis road will be "Sketches Of Spain".

"Kind Of Blue" may be the greatest jazz album of all time. Some may frown on such an assertion because the album is so well known and such an obvious selection, but the content and performances speak for themselves. It may be the most accessible jazz album released. Bill Evans work on this album is exceptional. "Sketches Of Spain" is a masterpiece, but if you are hoping for an extension of what you are hearing on "Kind Of Blue," you may be disappointed. It is a beautiful, lush album with orchestration by Gil Evans - not freeform, improvisational jazz. If you are really digging "Kind Of Blue" and are unfamiliar with the rest of Miles' body of work, I would explore the following titles next: "'Round About Midnight," "Bags' Groove," "Ascenseur pour l'echafaud" [soundtrack], "Seven Steps to Heaven," and "My Funny Valentine."

jbnva58 wrote:Image

It is really more of an experimental, electric jazz album than that of a traditional jazz/R&B hybrid. It is a pioneering album to say the least, but a huge departure of what you are hearing on "Kind Of Blue."

Personally, I find "In A Silent Way" much more melodic and less challenging. And of course, "Filles de Kilimanjaro" which helped establish this fusion direction is a must-have title.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:36 pm

midnightx wrote:
jbnva58 wrote:I recently purchased the Legacy release "Kind Of Blue".For those who have never heard this,I reccomend this release.Jazz 101.My next stop on the Davis road will be "Sketches Of Spain".

"Kind Of Blue" may be the greatest jazz album of all time. Some may frown on such an assertion because the album is so well known and such an obvious selection, but the content and performances speak for themselves. It may be the most accessible jazz album released. Bill Evans work on this album is exceptional. "Sketches Of Spain" is a masterpiece, but if you are hoping for an extension of what you are hearing on "Kind Of Blue," you may be disappointed. It is a beautiful, lush album with orchestration by Gil Evans - not freeform, improvisational jazz. If you are really digging "Kind Of Blue" and are unfamiliar with the rest of Miles' body of work, I would explore the following titles next: "'Round About Midnight," "Bags' Groove," "Ascenseur pour l'echafaud" [soundtrack], "Seven Steps to Heaven," and "My Funny Valentine."

jbnva58 wrote:Image

It is really more of an experimental, electric jazz album than that of a traditional jazz/R&B hybrid. It is a pioneering album to say the least, but a huge departure of what you are hearing on "Kind Of Blue."

Personally, I find "In A Silent Way" much more melodic and less challenging. And of course, "Filles de Kilimanjaro" which helped establish this fusion direction is a must-have title.

Much thanks for your input midnightx.
(Apologies for the late reply.)After reading your insights,I will follow your recommendations,nice to have people with knowledge on this!
I plan to get all his albums eventually though.
Thanks to all who responded!

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 pm

No problem. I remember when I first got into Miles how overwhelming the catalogue was. It was before the internet era where one could research and find the essential information to help put them on the necessary path when it came to exploring an artist's vast catalogue. I actually did the same thing you were considering doing -- I started with "Kind Of Blue" and then directly moved on to "Sketches Of Spain." I didn't know any better. I wanted more of what I was hearing on KOB and I ended up with an album that was quite a departure in style. Not that Sketches was disappointing, but it wasn't what I was looking for at the time. I think you will dig all the others. Happy listening!