Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: First steps for a complete Beach Boys reunion....

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Although it is nice to hear Mike sing the lead on "Do It Again" or "Fun Fun Fun" and all the other hits he sings lead...the lush vocals that supported Mike were always the other half of the equation.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm

IMETJB wrote:Although it is nice to hear Mike sing the lead on "Do It Again" or "Fun Fun Fun" and all the other hits he sings lead...the lush vocals that supported Mike were always the other half of the equation.

The point is:
He's the lead vocalist on the original recordings.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 pm

javilu wrote:Just as well, I want to hear Al Jardine singing Help me Rhonda.

You'll do this sunday

When Al joined Brian and band for some concerts in 2006, his voice gave the whole sound a much needed boost. Let's get real, Brian's band is fantastic and nailing the harmonies, but still lacking the Beach Boys' blend (who could blame them?) and in need for a strong bass like Mike Love's.
Brian can do some pretty good bass but he doesn't do it that much in concert. But in good shape, Brian could really do a wonderful job in Carl's range. His Gershwin-album showed him being very strong in middle-range. Matt Jardine's falsetto always was at least the second best to Brian's original, on some songs even better

I'd say they should use mostly Brian's band with some members from Al's crew (the Beach Boys' 70s band) and one or two guys from Mike&Bruce. Hopefully no John Stamos !!

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 am

javilu wrote:
midnightx wrote:Bring on Al....who cares. Any sort of reunion would be no different than seeing a Brian Wilson solo gig, only with some former Beach Boys members on stage. The music played by Brian's current band and along with their otherworldly harmonies are hard to beat. I am surprised no one is more interested in a possible SMiLE release. Sadly, Beach Boys archivist Alan Boyd has confirmed over the years that a ton of SMiLE tapes are missing. A lot of empty boxes exist in the vaults.

I disagree.
It's Mike Love's lead vocals what made a ton of Beach Boys hits something special, and I rather hear him singing them because it's him on the originals instead of Brian.
Just as well, I want to hear Al Jardine singing Help me Rhonda.

Actually, it is the legendary harmonies that made the hits special. Brian's backing musicians are key to making those harmonies successful in 2011.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:10 am

Guys, here's something awfully rare. Brian, Bruce, Jeff Foskett and John Stamos after a wedding party at a piano just jamming. And at 17:30 one gets finally to hear Brian covering Presley:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=QY_-PXpoi4U&gl=US[/youtube]

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:14 am

midnightx wrote:
javilu wrote:
midnightx wrote:Bring on Al....who cares. Any sort of reunion would be no different than seeing a Brian Wilson solo gig, only with some former Beach Boys members on stage. The music played by Brian's current band and along with their otherworldly harmonies are hard to beat. I am surprised no one is more interested in a possible SMiLE release. Sadly, Beach Boys archivist Alan Boyd has confirmed over the years that a ton of SMiLE tapes are missing. A lot of empty boxes exist in the vaults.

I disagree.
It's Mike Love's lead vocals what made a ton of Beach Boys hits something special, and I rather hear him singing them because it's him on the originals instead of Brian.
Just as well, I want to hear Al Jardine singing Help me Rhonda.

Actually, it is the legendary harmonies that made the hits special. Brian's backing musicians are key to making those harmonies successful in 2011.

I didn't say I don't want Brian's backing band.
The Wondermints are fantastic.
But to say I don't care whether Mike or Brian sings the songs is where I disagree.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:06 am

What are your thoughts on a vintage SMiLE audio release? Or would you rather just have a comatose Mike Love fronting a quasi-reunion concert?

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 am

It would be wonderful to see the guys back together but it will not sound the same without Carl.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:59 am

midnightx wrote:What are your thoughts on a vintage SMiLE audio release? Or would you rather just have a comatose Mike Love fronting a quasi-reunion concert?

I'd love it if well done.
I have several Smile bootlegs and the Brian Wilson solo version CD.
For nostalgia's sake, it would be great to see what's left of them together on stage again.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:51 am

Rocker wrote:
Mitch wrote:The title of this thread says: "First steps for a complete Beach Boys reunion...."

It can't be a COMPLETE reunion without Carl and Dennis. :(

Don't be so picky. Of course it's a complete reunion with all living members. And now don't come with Blodnie and Ricky as they (unfortunately) are members no more, 'cause they were fired/left .

Sometimes this board really gets on my nerves.

Hopefully the thread will take on with some important chatter now.

Settle down ace. I'm not being picky, just stating the facts!

Sometimes this board really gets on my nerves! :lol:

Hopefully some of your chatter will be more important. :wink:

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:52 am

javilu wrote:He's the lead vocalist on --> some of <-- the original recordings.

Edit by DJC.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:He's the lead vocalist on some of the original recordings.

You know what I meant!

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:46 am

unclefester wrote:Of MUCH more importance javilu.....WE know what you meant............uf

I know you do!
:)

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 am

The Beach Boys Set To Release SMILE -- The Greatest Lost Masterpiece of All Time

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/the-beach-boys-set-to-release-smile-the-greatest-lost-masterpiece-of-all-time

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am

I hope this time the smile stuff is finally released..every once in awhile we get news that they are releasing smile but then it never happens back in the early 70's they were going to release it,in fact it was announced during that tour by the group that it was going to be released in the summer it ended up being "pet Sounds" that was re-released with "carl and the passions" album instead.. then again it was announced during the early 80's and in 89 or 90 after Brain s first solo album then just before the box set was released they were saying that the box set would have the complete smile album but it only contained a handful of the songs..so i hope this is the real deal this time...also when they perform together I hope they film it for dvd release,maybe even have a couple carl and dennis songs done live...

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 am

joshferrell wrote:I hope this time the smile stuff is finally released..every once in awhile we get news that they are releasing smile but then it never happens back in the early 70's they were going to release it,in fact it was announced during that tour by the group that it was going to be released in the summer it ended up being "pet Sounds" that was re-released with "carl and the passions" album instead.. then again it was announced during the early 80's and in 89 or 90 after Brain s first solo album then just before the box set was released they were saying that the box set would have the complete smile album but it only contained a handful of the songs..so i hope this is the real deal this time...also when they perform together I hope they film it for dvd release,maybe even have a couple carl and dennis songs done live...

There are a LOT of SMiLE tapes missing from The Beach Boys archives. An official release of more of the material will be intriguing in many ways....one significant way will be hearing what Capitol actually has to offer.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:31 am

Rare video just uploaded yesterday...nice little acapella intro:

phpBB [video]

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 am

midnightx wrote:
joshferrell wrote:I hope this time the smile stuff is finally released..every once in awhile we get news that they are releasing smile but then it never happens back in the early 70's they were going to release it,in fact it was announced during that tour by the group that it was going to be released in the summer it ended up being "pet Sounds" that was re-released with "carl and the passions" album instead.. then again it was announced during the early 80's and in 89 or 90 after Brain s first solo album then just before the box set was released they were saying that the box set would have the complete smile album but it only contained a handful of the songs..so i hope this is the real deal this time...also when they perform together I hope they film it for dvd release,maybe even have a couple carl and dennis songs done live...

There are a LOT of SMiLE tapes missing from The Beach Boys archives. An official release of more of the material will be intriguing in many ways....one significant way will be hearing what Capitol actually has to offer.

Alan Boyd has stated that very little Smile material that still resides in the vaults has not been bootlegged.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:45 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Alan Boyd has stated that very little Smile material that still resides in the vaults has not been bootlegged.

True. And some of the most intriguing bits still unheard most likely resides in private hands. Pretty sad how badly mismanaged the SMiLE tapes were during the late-'60s and '70s.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 am

The reunion thing is less interesting to me than the SMiLE release. I don't care if they use stuff that's been bootlegged, having an official release in pristine sound will be worth it.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, here is the reunion with Al:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Obviously Al hadn't really rehearsed with them, but he did a good job. Mike's face looks bloated, I hope he's ok. Could've been better, but these guys are almost 70, so it's ok. There should be more rehearsals and work for the big 50th anniversary celebration with Brian that, I'm sure, will happen this year

And let's remember Carl Wilson who died 13 years ago today:

phpBB [video]

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
Rocker wrote:Image

Isn't the name BEACH BOYS a little inacurate nowadays?

Ain't it funny that the guy who took the worst care of himself over past decades, is now looking the youngest ? :smt002

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:43 pm

Brian has actually been taking very good care of himself for more than two decades now.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Brian has actually been taking very good care of himself for more than two decades now.

Actually it is the good people around him that have been taking care of Brian, because if everything had been up to Brian, he was never freed from his blood-sucking psychologist/therapist/bullshit seller.

Such was the unhealhy hold of that suffocating leech on this musical genius.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Beatles reunion (Paul, Ringo ...)

Part of your life is complete......lol

phpBB [video]