Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

"Charlie Rich: The Sun Records Demo Sessions"

Post by elvis4life »

From the Sun Records email that I got:

"Get a peek behind the curtain at the creative process of the legendary Charlie Rich with The Sun Records Demo Sessions. Primarily all his compositions, these tracks are Rich’s rough sketches of songs showcasing his blues-driven, piano-propelled style. Standouts include “Those Places Round Town,” “Oh Lonely Days,” and “Ain’t It A Shame.” Available now where you stream music here": https://sunrecords.lnk.to/RichDemos

You can also view & hear all 20 tracks here:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: "Charlie Rich: The Sun Records Demo Sessions"

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvis4life wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:05 am
From the Sun Records email that I got:

"Get a peek behind the curtain at the creative process of the legendary Charlie Rich with The Sun Records Demo Sessions. Primarily all his compositions, these tracks are Rich’s rough sketches of songs showcasing his blues-driven, piano-propelled style. Standouts include “Those Places Round Town,” “Oh Lonely Days,” and “Ain’t It A Shame.” Available now where you stream music here": https://sunrecords.lnk.to/RichDemos

You can also view & hear all 20 tracks here:

Charlie Rich was such a talented singe, musician, songwriter and artist. Elvis certainly admired his work, and cut his "I'm Coming Home" back in 1961. His live 1970s version of "Big Boss Man" had roots in Charlie's mid-sixties Smash label single, and more than one of his 1973 and 1975 studio tracks showed the influence of Rich's breakthrough sound at that time.

Way back when a 2xLP set of his Sun tracks and demos came out under the title Original Hits and Midnight Demos. It was awesome, and I still have it. It looks like this new title is a streaming collection only, hello 21st century!

Charlie Rich: The Sun Records Demo Sessions

1 Sad News
2 I Love No One But You
3 Ain't It A Shame
4 Thanks A Lot
5 Little Woman Friend Of Mine
6 Oh Lonely Days
7 Seven Dreams
8 Those Places Round Town
9 Somehow We'll Find A Way
10 Since You Said Goodbye
11 It Hurt Me So
12 Each Other
13 Unsuspecting Me
14 Long Long Way To Tennessee
15 Stop Faking Your Love
16 Time's A Wasting
17 Juicehead Baby Blues
18 Never Mind Little Girl
19 Sad News
20 I'm Making Plans

A few of these may be reissued from the old 2xLP set, but most are new to my eyes. "Thanks A Lot" was a country hit for Johnny Cash on Sun in 1959.

Will listen tonight, thanks!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Re: "Charlie Rich: The Sun Records Demo Sessions"

Post by r&b »

Arguably the most underrated performer in music history. He really was everything you mention above. I play him often from Sun to up through his last album 'Pictures & Paintings' which was a great last album.