Roberta Flack has ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease

Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Roberta Flack has ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease

Post by elvis4life »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/singer-roberta-flack-can-no-longer-sing-after-als-diagnosis-2022-11-14/

November 14, 20227:14 PM ESTLast Updated 14 hours ago
Singer Roberta Flack can no longer sing after ALS diagnosis

LOS ANGELES, Nov 14 (Reuters) - Grammy-winning musician Roberta Flack, whose hits include "Killing Me Softly with His Song," has been diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, and can no longer sing, her representatives said on Monday.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a progressive disease, "has made it impossible to sing and not easy to speak," a statement from her publicists said. "But it will take a lot more than ALS to silence this icon."

A documentary about Flack's life is set to debut at a film festival in New York next week. It will air on PBS television in the United States in January. Flack, 85, also is releasing a children's book in January.

ALS breaks down nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that make muscles work, leading to progressive paralysis and death.

Flack had several No. 1 hits in the 1970s and produced 20 studio albums. She won four Grammys and was honored with a lifetime achievement award in 2020.

The singer also was the first artist to win two consecutive record of the year trophies in 1973 for "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" and in 1974 for "Killing Me Softly with His Song."

Meh1965
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Roberta Flack has ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease

Post by Meh1965 »

I am a little fu.ckboi
Last edited by Meh1965 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Same User as the disgraced and banned users: Matilda, MauriceHayes, Pedent, Roustabout1980, etc .

lucio
Registered for: 21 years

Post by lucio »

Very sad news. There seems to be an abundance of these terrible diseases with so many celebrities and regular folks these days.

One of my favourite hockey players Borje Salming was also recently diagnosed with ALS.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

agreed, that's so sad to read about Ms Flack. It really doesn't matter if she can sing and record again, let's hope she will win the fight and retain some quality of life for many more years to come.