Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, londonflash, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

The Beatles - Solo Years Appreciation Topic

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey folks,

Ive been considering a separate topic on just the solo material on John, Paul (including Wings), George (including Traveling Wilburys) and Ringo. So, this is it. This is going to be a grower :D

Now it is important i get contributions from YOU, guys and i just take of the rest and post the rare film and music as and when i come across 'em.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Re: The Beatles - Solo Years Appreciation Topic

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

How about this , for starters.
Recorded live in New York City 1971 Concert. Rare Acoustic version.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Good to find this in probably the best quality, yet (380p) , or likely will ever be available.

November 19, 1976: Paul Simon hosts Saturday Night Live during the show’s second season. The musical guest was George Harrison, making a rare television appearance. The two musicians performed Harrison’s “Here Comes The Sun” and Simon's "Homeward Bound". Good to have an archive of this :D

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Robt wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:33 am
Good to find this in probably the best quality, yet (380p) , or likely will ever be available.

November 19, 1976: Paul Simon hosts Saturday Night Live during the show’s second season. The musical guest was George Harrison, making a rare television appearance. The two musicians performed Harrison’s “Here Comes The Sun” and Simon's "Homeward Bound". Good to have an archive of this :D

George was certainly my favourite solo Beatle Performer his work after 1970 produced some great musical moments as well as some real good fun,Here is The pirate song

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

I agree with you, ken. If i had to choose a favorite solo singer then it would be Harrison. In particular Thirty-Three and a Third (1977), All Things Must Pass (1970), Extra Texture (1975) and Cloud Nine (1987), albums.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

It's 50th anniversary this week of Paul McCartney’s solo debut "McCartney" -

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by r&b »

Robt wrote:

That was a pretty big deal back then. Remember seeing that broadcast live the night it was on. I think George really came into his own as a solo artist and All Things Must Pass is my favorite post Beatles solo album. However I think the best post Beatles song by any one of them is Maybe Im Amazed even tho Im not a big solo Paul fan. That is truly a classic song, so well written and performed

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

r&b wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:27 pm
Robt wrote:

That was a pretty big deal back then. Remember seeing that broadcast live the night it was on. I think George really came into his own as a solo artist and All Things Must Pass is my favorite post Beatles solo album. However I think the best post Beatles song by any one of them is Maybe Im Amazed even tho Im not a big solo Paul fan. That is truly a classic song, so well written and performed
there is also the full show on video dailymotion available but the image is reversed, most probably deliberate to avoid copyright.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

'Bye, Bye Love' is Rehearsal from NBC "Saturday Night Live". Simon and George Harrison traded verses.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Let's get back (pardon the pun) to McCartney 50th anniversary album. This is a live 1979 version by his Wings Band. Notice he slowed it down compared to the studio record.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Oo You (Long Remaster Version)

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

From 1978 Wings London Town album.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

George Harrison - You (1970 outtake) - While recording his masterpiece album "all things must pass", George Harrison tried to record this song. at the end, "You" was released five years later on the "Extra Texture" album.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

From RAM album...

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 am

From RAM album...

Thats not a bad Blue moon of Kentucky!

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

https://cosmicmagazine.com.au/news/george-harrisons-family-confirm-all-things-must-pass-50th-anniversary-reissue/

George Harrison’s Family Confirm ‘All Things Must Pass’ 50th Anniversary Reissue-

Talking with Rolling Stone, George Harrison‘s wife Olivia and son, Dhani have revealed they are working on a 50th anniversary edition of All Things Must Pass.

The conversation arrives as part of a new feature by Rolling Stone on George Harrison‘s Dark Horse Record Label.

Both provide several interesting insights about he labels past and Harrison’s solo career in the 1970s.

But perhaps most exciting of all is the revelation of the wealth of material they have uncovered sifting through the record label’s archives.

“We have people digging through mountains of tapes, and they keep coming,” Dhani enthuses. “Boxes and boxes of them.”

With George Harrison‘s solo debut All Things Must Pass turning 50 this November, Olivia has also confirmed that the Harrison family is working on something special for the release.

“A lot of it has been bootlegged,” Olivia says referring specifically to material from All Things Must Pass era, “but we have better versions. We have all the 24-tracks of All Things Must Pass, and we found lots of different takes and talking in the studio.”

A number of Bob Dylan covers as well as ‘Window, Window’, a song written by Harrison and Dylan, were also recorded around this time but never formally released.

Rolling Stone also reported that expanded versions of George Harrison‘s Concert for Bangladesh, 1973 album Living in the Material World and the former Beatle’s controversial 1974 US tour were also being considered.

“His voice is pretty tired, but in my opinion, it sounds great,” Dhani shares of the 1974 tour.

“It’s raspy, and it has grit to it,” Olivia concurs. “You can hear the fragility in all the songs. It’s a different take on a lot of his music.”

Harrison’s wife then suggests that the amount of video footage capture backstage during the tour “could make a great tour movie.”

“The backstage footage is amazing and hysterical,” she states. “Things went on backstage that don’t happen now. Now everything is so cut and dried, the opposite of spontaneous.”.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Recorded live at Glasgow, Scotland, December 17, 1979.

Great version of Coming Up (scroll at 01:05:50 point). "This one might come out next year" says Paul. It did indeed but as a solo record.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Good to see/hear this again.

Recorded on 30 August 1972 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Lennon performed two shows, one in the afternoon and one in the evening, a benefit concert for the Willowbrook State School for Retarded Children in New York.

This first surfaced back in 1985, as a album called Live in New York together with a video of the concert was released.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

good write-up here on the solo albums worst to best rankings. Predictably the bulk of Ringo STARR albums reached South position. I'd ranked BAND ON THE RUN at #2.

What do you think of these ratings?

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-solo-albums-ranked/

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Time to bring this topic back ehhh !

Now tomorrow is what would've been Lennon's 80th birthday. Obviously this will be a time to celebrate (not to dwell on what happened or what might have been) right ?

With this in mind , it's a pleasure to have found and to add these radio excerpts with Dr Winston 'O' Boogie (an alias of his) doing some DJ ' ing and obviously enjoying it.

Quote Dennis Elsas:
Without question my most memorable interview and on-air experience to date was on September 28, 1974, a Saturday afternoon I spent with John Lennon.

I had met him just a few weeks before at the Record Plant recording studio and casually asked him if he’d like to come up to the station to talk about his forthcoming album Walls and Bridges. I doubted anything would come of it, since none of the Beatles had ever visited our station before. When he showed up eager to talk, bringing with him some obscure 45’s he wanted to share with the audience, I didn’t know what to expect.

What began as an opportunity to promote the new album, turned into two hours of rare Beatle stories, insights into his immigration struggles, and John as the DJ, introducing and commenting on all the music, commercials and weather.

The complete show is part of the permanent collection of the Paley Center For Media (formerly the Museum of Television and Radio).

A very big THANKYOU from everyone at Lenono to Dennis Elsas.

Read the transcription and listen to the tracks John chose at http://www.johnlennon.com/news/john-l...

Hope you will enjoy this (great to hear he was an ELO fan and the record "Showdown") :

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Listen to a new mix of ‘All Things Must Pass’ commemorating its 50th anniversary-
https://happymag.tv/all-things-must-pass-50-year-remix/

r&b
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by r&b »

Walter Hale 4 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:46 am
Time to bring this topic back ehhh !

Now tomorrow is what would've been Lennon's 80th birthday. Obviously this will be a time to celebrate (not to dwell on what happened or what might have been) right ?

With this in mind , it's a pleasure to have found and to add these radio excerpts with Dr Winston 'O' Boogie (an alias of his) doing some DJ ' ing and obviously enjoying it.

Quote Dennis Elsas:
Without question my most memorable interview and on-air experience to date was on September 28, 1974, a Saturday afternoon I spent with John Lennon.

I had met him just a few weeks before at the Record Plant recording studio and casually asked him if he’d like to come up to the station to talk about his forthcoming album Walls and Bridges. I doubted anything would come of it, since none of the Beatles had ever visited our station before. When he showed up eager to talk, bringing with him some obscure 45’s he wanted to share with the audience, I didn’t know what to expect.

What began as an opportunity to promote the new album, turned into two hours of rare Beatle stories, insights into his immigration struggles, and John as the DJ, introducing and commenting on all the music, commercials and weather.

The complete show is part of the permanent collection of the Paley Center For Media (formerly the Museum of Television and Radio).

A very big THANKYOU from everyone at Lenono to Dennis Elsas.

Read the transcription and listen to the tracks John chose at http://www.johnlennon.com/news/john-l...

Hope you will enjoy this (great to hear he was an ELO fan and the record "Showdown") :

Saw ELO several times in the early 70's. Jeff Lynne is an overlooked genius, great songwriter, musician, producer. (also love Roy Wood. May be time for an ELO/Lynne/Wood appreciation topic.)

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

George Harrison & Ringo Starr - While My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Prince's Trust Rock Gala 1987)

Never thought id see and hear this again in pristine Qual. Awesome stuff !

Last edited by Walter Hale 4 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Walter Hale 4

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

George Harrison - Live At The Omni, Atlanta, Georgia (November 28, 1974)

Very good to have a 16 minute compilation. an 8mm film of this american tour. Harrison was reportedly hoarse on some concerts and received negative press but on this compilation i thought he sounded normal apart from the 'Sue you, Sue Me Blues' excerpt.
You be the judge.

George was my favorite of the Beatles.