Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Black & White - Tony Joe White

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm

There is a great indoor flea market near where I live that has a great selection of vinyl LP's from every genre. I have spent many afternoons combining through the several hundred Elvis (and Beatles) bins but yesterday I found this album from 1968 from Tony Joe White. Side one features all TJW originals (including Polk Salad Annie) and the second side are all covers.

I would have to guess that Elvis must have had a copy somewhere in his collection as well.

Aside from the obvious Polk Salad Annie / Elvis connection I was surprised by the production credits when I turned the album over. It reads like a roster of Elvis' 1970 Nashville sessions, right down to the fact that it was recorded at the same studio, with the same engineer! I know that the conventional wisdom after the Comeback Special was that had Elvis followed it up by returning to Nashville to record it would have been the same old same old but so he recorded in Memphis instead but I think he could have achieved very strong results by heading to Nashville and simply leaving his producer Felton behind in Memphis... True, we might not have seen Suspicious Minds since that song was connected to Chips but in the land of 'what if' after spinning the TJW album on my turntable I couldn't help but to think 'what if' Elvis hired people like Tony Joe White and Joe South to write material for him and was able to kick out more gritty hard edged material in the 1969 - 1971 timeframe.

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Black & White - Tony Joe White

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 pm

A wonderful album. TJW always puts a smile on my face. It's a shame Elvis never got around to recording Willie and Laura Mae Jones; it's a stunning song. The covers side of the album ain't half bad either. Little Green Applies is gorgeous.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 am

Fantastic album !

Hey, the CD reissue on Warner Archives (1996, on the CD itself) includes as bonus tracks the two songs that made up his first Monument single in 1966 : "Ten More Miles To Louisiana" and "Georgia Pines".

http://www.discogs.com/Tony-Joe-White-Black-And-White/release/3771348

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:A wonderful album. TJW always puts a smile on my face. It's a shame Elvis never got around to recording Willie and Laura Mae Jones; it's a stunning song. The covers side of the album ain't half bad either. Little Green Applies is gorgeous.

I never thought I'd agree with you until this posting. :D