Note: Before any posting relating to Elvis Trading or selling is done in this Forum & FECC as whole, make sure that ALL ELVIS product must be Legal merchandise. In the case that we become aware that the material you are selling or trading is Illegal for all to see - Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Forum rules

Note: Before any posting relating to Elvis Trading or selling is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL ELVIS product must be Legal merchandise. If we become aware, the material you are selling or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Help dealing with Tracey-Jayne over purchase gone awry

Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 pm

(posted also in All Elvis)

To (username) Tracey-Jayne, I am posting here seeking contact over non-delivery for the high-ticket item A Boy From Tupelo FTD, for which payment was made. You have not returned contact since late May -when you supplied a Tracking Number that is invalid - despite your continuing presense on this forum. Please contact me immediately and hopefully we can work this out.

To everyone else: I am seeking help by way of information or suggestions regarding contact over said deal with (real name, presumably) Tracey Rhodes regarding above mentioned transaction (for the A Boy From Tupelo box set.) I am getting no responses from her after over three weeks of E-mailing directly, and then messaging through this site. (In the time since sending sending her both last week, she has posted here, on Sunday, and visited just today.) Her original post: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=82746

I do not want to be hasty in casting aspersions on her integrity, and I’m hoping this is just a series of mishaps that can be resolved.

The deal was made in late May, and unfortunately I paid her with a money order which as far as I know leaves no systemic recourse (it can only be redeemed if never cashed, for which an inquiry takes 30 days - despite a $6 charge.) I was convinced to go this route after she said in an E-mail she trusted me and believedthat “Elvis fans should trust each other.” She said she did not have a PayPal account, although I’m now wondering about that, since I later found a post from her promoting a bunch of items she was selling on Ebay. It was my belief you could no longer use Ebay without a PayPal or vendor credit card option. Could she have posted it on Ebay, gotten a better deal, but decided to keep the money? (FYI, I do not have confirmation the money order has been cashed - again, this takes 30 days from inquiry.)

The deal made, she sent me a Royal Mail tracking number supposedly from her shipment out of London to me in the U.S. I believe I tried the Tracking Number right away and it said something about order pending. This didn’t seem suspicious to me, so I sent the money order. After patiently waiting several weeks, I checked it again in early June and the Tracking Number showed on Royal Mail as delivered and signed for by an unknown name back in April, a month before our deal was even made (no other details give about delivery address). For some reason though the page said “Updated on June 4th,” which adds to the mystery of the situation.

I have all related E-mails, and the money order receipt, made out to her as sent to a London address she supplied via E-mail.

I realize now it was probably unwise to do business with an unknown person who has only been on the board several months. But her posts and E-mail’s seemed genuine and I felt comfortable moving forward in good faith. I was eager to find a a decent deal for a supposed mint used copy. (Though not “too good to be true,” mind you, still approaching $300 including shipping.)

Perhaps there is some sort of tradition for board community members applying peer pressure if possible, or otherwise helping encourage a seller to be in contact and resolve such an issue - especially if said person is buying and selling?

One thing I’m sure of is that the vast majority here deal with other collectors in total honesty, and would like everyone else here to be held to that standard in any way possible.

Any assistance and suggestions are most appreciated. To paraphrase her E-mail, it certainly would be nice if Elvis fans could always trust each other. Maybe that's not realistic, but once again, I reserve judgement for now and hope this can be cleared up fairly.

Best,
Brian

Help dealing with Tracey-Jayne over purchase gone awry

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:00 pm

(posted also in All Elvis)

To (username) Tracey-Jayne, I am posting here seeking contact over non-delivery for the high-ticket item A Boy From Tupelo FTD, for which payment was made. You have not returned contact since late May -when you supplied a Tracking Number that is invalid - despite your continuing presense on this forum. Please contact me immediately and hopefully we can work this out.

To everyone else: I am seeking help by way of information or suggestions regarding contact over said deal with (real name, presumably) Tracey Rhodes regarding above mentioned transaction (for the A Boy From Tupelo box set.) I am getting no responses from her after over three weeks of E-mailing directly, and then messaging through this site. (In the time since sending sending her both last week, she has posted here, on Sunday, and visited just today.) Her original post: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=82746

I do not want to be hasty in casting aspersions on her integrity, and I’m hoping this is just a series of mishaps that can be resolved.

The deal was made in late May, and unfortunately I paid her with a money order which as far as I know leaves no systemic recourse (it can only be redeemed if never cashed, for which an inquiry takes 30 days - despite a $6 charge.) I was convinced to go this route after she said in an E-mail she trusted me and believedthat “Elvis fans should trust each other.” She said she did not have a PayPal account, although I’m now wondering about that, since I later found a post from her promoting a bunch of items she was selling on Ebay. It was my belief you could no longer use Ebay without a PayPal or vendor credit card option. Could she have posted it on Ebay, gotten a better deal, but decided to keep the money? (FYI, I do not have confirmation the money order has been cashed - again, this takes 30 days from inquiry.)

The deal made, she sent me a Royal Mail tracking number supposedly from her shipment out of London to me in the U.S. I believe I tried the Tracking Number right away and it said something about order pending. This didn’t seem suspicious to me, so I sent the money order. After patiently waiting several weeks, I checked it again in early June and the Tracking Number showed on Royal Mail as delivered and signed for by an unknown name back in April, a month before our deal was even made (no other details give about delivery address). For some reason though the page said “Updated on June 4th,” which adds to the mystery of the situation.

I have all related E-mails, and the money order receipt, made out to her as sent to a London address she supplied via E-mail.

I realize now it was probably unwise to do business with an unknown person who has only been on the board several months. But her posts and E-mail’s seemed genuine and I felt comfortable moving forward in good faith. I was eager to find a a decent deal for a supposed mint used copy. (Though not “too good to be true,” mind you, still approaching $300 including shipping.)

Perhaps there is some sort of tradition for board community members applying peer pressure if possible, or otherwise helping encourage a seller to be in contact and resolve such an issue - especially if said person is buying and selling?

One thing I’m sure of is that the vast majority here deal with other collectors in total honesty, and would like everyone else here to be held to that standard in any way possible.

Any assistance and suggestions are most appreciated. To paraphrase her E-mail, it certainly would be nice if Elvis fans could always trust each other. Maybe that's not realistic, but once again, I reserve judgement for now and hope this can be cleared up fairly.

Best,
Brian

Re: Help dealing with Tracey-Jayne over purchase gone awry

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:02 am

I hope that you get this sorted.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 am

Is this individual still a member?
Because this is extremely serious. I believe this should have been a private message to the Mods. (You can still do that. And erase everything you can here. I will erase this as per your request.)

The Mods know a lot, but not always everything. I wish you good luck. But it doesn't look promising unless you can find the identity of the individual.

PM THE MODS IMMEDIATELY!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 am

Thanks for your response RJM. At your suggestion I have written the mods and authorized them to delete my post threads if they feel it is best handled discreetly or as discreetly as possible, as long as the posts are potentially deleted before she sees them.

She is an active member, as mentioned she posted as late as last Sunday, and is shown to have last visited today! All of which disturbingly increase the chances she has seen my quieries and is ignoring them. So I do have her identity, as an active member here, but more substantially, her full name (assuming it is her real name,) private E-mail, and London address, where I sent the money order.

Certainly I don't wish to air dirty laundry in public unnecessarily, or embarrass anyone for what could conceivably be a series of mishaps with no dishonesty intended; my hope in posting publicly is that it may be seen by someone with experience and advice on possible recourse in this kind of situation, or my someone who has a relationship with her online, or perhaps even in person for London board members - maybe they know her at The Elvis Shop, where I am a customer, and might help persuade her to contact me and do the right thing.

Just fishing really. In the end there may be nothing I can do, but that is a bitter pill to swallow. Hopefully she'll come forward and explain herself.
Last edited by Brian In Atlanta on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 am

Linked below is her post in For Sale & Trade that lead to my first contacting her, where you can click on her profile. As of this writing she is still a member and as mentioned shows as having visited earlier today. Again if anyone knows anything that might help, please private message me.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=82746

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:23 am

I see no reason why the Mods should be involved. It's one person's word over another, sadly.

All I will say is that the paragraph about tracking makes no sense at all. When items are taken to a post office and sent by royal mail, the tracking number enters the system right away. It never says "order pending" - especially if it had been delivered the month before! And why would this woman give an old tracking number? She would have know that Brian would check it straight away - I know I always do. So, was the tracking number simply typed incorrectly by either party?

Meanwhile, international money orders are (or at least were when I was last asked to accept one) a nightmare to cash in the UK, and rather costly to do so. And yes, paypal is essential with an ebay account. That said, only one copy of Tupelo was sold in the UK on ebay in the last six weeks, and that was on 8th June to someone living in Hemel Hempstead.

Perhaps most worth bearing in mind here is the timescale. A month is not an excessive amount of time for something to be in the international postal system - especially if it gets held up with customs. However, my understanding is that the book weighs in excess of 5kg, which means it could not have been sent by royal mail - it would have to go Parcelforce or some other way.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:39 am

Okay. It's fine to be fair and give the benefit of the doubt, and I think he's done that. I mean, this is a VERY expensive item. And yet, he was cautious in saying perhaps there were mistakes.

The problem is that I replied, pmp replied, but Tracey-Jayne did not reply in her defense. That is peculiar. If I had been the subject of this matter, and the buyer seemed distraught, I think it would catch my attention immediately.

This could have happened to any one of us who wasn't fortunate enough to have an in-print copy. (Happily, I do, and it's not for sale. Heck, if I go homeless, The Boy goes in the shopping cart! You think I'm kidding? Nope.)

But really, since any one of us could have been in this position, I do think at least he can ask for assistance or advice in the matter. The member of whom he speaks has only been here briefly. (So, if she spoke of "trust," that's silly.)

I agree that perhaps it wasn't maybe the best choice to send a money order, but apparently the deed is done. If this was not on the level, he needs information to pursue it.

I think we'd all want to help each other in such a situation regardless of anything else.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:45 am

rjm wrote:Okay. It's fine to be fair and give the benefit of the doubt, and I think he's done that. I mean, this is a VERY expensive item. And yet, he was cautious in saying perhaps there were mistakes.

The problem is that I replied, pmp replied, but Tracey-Jayne did not reply in her defense. That is peculiar. If I had been the subject of this matter, and the buyer seemed distraught, I think it would catch my attention immediately.

This could have happened to any one of us who wasn't fortunate enough to have an in-print copy. (Happily, I do, and it's not for sale. Heck, if I go homeless, The Boy goes in the shopping cart! You think I'm kidding? Nope.)

But really, since any one of us could have been in this position, I do think at least he can ask for assistance or advice in the matter. The member of whom he speaks has only been here briefly. (So, if she spoke of "trust," that's silly.)

I agree that perhaps it wasn't maybe the best choice to send a money order, but apparently the deed is done. If this was not on the level, he needs information to pursue it.

I think we'd all want to help each other in such a situation regardless of anything else.

rjm

Sent via mobile

She hasn't replied YET - not everyone spends every waking hour on here. She may well have not even seen the post yet! Just because she is shown to have visited the site today doesn't mean she even went into the message boards at all - and I believe the accuracy of "last visited" has been shown to be unreliable in the past anyway.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 am

I appreciate the input from you both. As i mentioned before, she seemed very sincere to me, including in some pleasant E-mail chat about our collecting habits, so I am hopeful it will be sorted out. But the barebones transaction details are cause for serious concern. To confirm btw, she definitely said in E-mail she had no checking account or paypal, so if she indeed is selling items on Ebay as she later aluded to here, this does not look good. She asked for cash at first, and also mentioned a cashier's check. Regarding her sale of multiple items, she said a fan in dire straights recently sold her their entire collection, including duplicate items such A Boy from Tupelo.

Yes poormadpeter, a month is not a long time to wait. The main concern starts with the bad tracking number matching a different item, and that she has not responded to my direct Emails I've been sending since last week about this. I mention her logging in here in the meantime not because it would be so likely for someone to miss a message here, but it confirms that she has been online where she would presumably have checked her personal E-mails since last week -- as opposed to, for example, off on a trip to the country away from internet service. BTW since I last posted, her last visited time has been updated from around 11am today to 8pm today. (I asume these adjust to your given time zone?) I can only hope these are not acurate or that it's another in a string of mishaps, because it seems unlikely she would miss a first page thread with her name in it, both here and in Trade & Sale.

Regarding the Tracking Number, I'm afraid I was too careless about that point. My memory of a search result saysing "something like order pending" is probably not reliable, it perhaps said "information not available," something vague that doesn't confirm a package is in the system, but doesn't dis-confirm it either. Also it's possible I tried tracing it with USPS without thinking it through. But I agree with your assumption that she would only assume I would check the number, which is why I wasn't a stickler once I had *a number* I figured it was solid and the info would show up soon enough. BTW I tried tracking through Parcelforce, which produced the exact same delivery results as Royal Mail, apparently they share the same 13 character tracking system. She made reference to sending from the "post office" and since she specified no special carrier service, I would assume she means the mainstream system that at least recognizes it as a tracking number. Certainly, it could be a typo. That's my hope.

I don't think of it as "my word against hers," since she hasn't responded in any way. I've got plenty E-mail and transaction data to convince anyone in doubt, but without an intermediary that would likely make no difference legally speaking anyway. My main fear is that I nor anyone else will ever hear from her again. I hope not, but like rjm says, this is a high ticket item, I balked on it earlier because of the price when it was 30-some percent of the price I just paid. And unlike before when I was working steadily, I'm freelance now and income is quite thin, so this is a very big deal for me right now. Greater caution in the future, but here and now, I'm asking for support and constructive input.

I"m not rushing to judgement, right now I'm just hoping for possible clues or leads on alternate ways to get a message through to her that is confirmed as being received, or some advice on other things to try to get some answers. The fact that she is not answering direct E-mail's though is, I think, legitimate cause for concern and why I'm scrambling for possible help or support.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 am

Try a tag. That will alert a user on Tapatalk on their phone. @Tracey-Jayne

That will alert a user. If that doesn't work, and emails don't and any other means of communication do not work, you have a problem in terms of retrieving your money.

rjm

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:18 am

Sounds like an idea, how do I use one? Did your writing the name just then place a tag already?
Thx

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:Sounds like an idea, how do I use one? Did your writing the name just then place a tag already?
Thx

Yup. She's been tagged. I didn't just write her name; I selected it, and hit the "tag" tag in the BBcode buttons up top.

rjm

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:05 am

FECC Team Note: Identical thread from All Elvis section merged to this one.

We understand your need to get this seen by as many people as possible in an attempt to resolve this issue. But, cross-posting in multi-sections is generally frowned upon.

Depending on all the other Moderator's input, this thread may or may not remain.

We also understand that sometimes deals in the Elvis World can go wrong, but at this point - not enough information is known on either side.

Historically, threads such as this one have been binned in the past, as we prefer to keep conflict to a minimum.

Don't misunderstand this point - it certainly isn't done to cover anything up! But rather, if the thread does get binned, it was done to protect both the buyer and seller (legally). In addition to protecting FECC so as to not give the appearance of favoritism for either side.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:53 pm

I see the thread has been eliminated in the All Elvis category but not here. If possible I would like it to remain there where more people will see it, rather than this forum. Somehow the comments that are retained here were actually made in All Elvis. Also I hope my first post now being doubled doesn't make folks thing I might be a nutter. :^)

I appreciate your response. I am not asking you to take sides - i am not even accusing anyone of anything other than not being in touch over a serious matter that arose from this forum. That said I know fecco is in no way responsible for any aspect of this. I'm just hoping to find some support from anyone who might offer civil suggestions. And they are certainly invited to message or Email me privately.

I am also interested, along the way, in sharing my advice of caution in general when trading. I would think heeding such is the best way to protect ALL parties ever involved now and in the future.

People often post, debate, and stir up controversy over a lot of frivolous subject matter here, IMO. Conflict is best kept to a minimum, but I would hope special consideration would be given to matters of some gravity, especially if those concerned are being respectful and diplomatic, and double especially if something positive can potentially be acheived, unlike cases of shouting matches over Elvis trivia. This is a very serious plea for community support over a serious matter to help BOTH parties take care to resolve it fully and fairly. If you are looking for a truly constructive function of any community, there you are.

To reiterate, I appreciate that one of my threads has been kept, but I would ask you to move it to (thus returning the responses *back*) to All Elvis where more will see it.
Last edited by Brian In Atlanta on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:58 pm

I have also learned the hardway, being ripped-off by members on this site years ago. These are the lowest of scumbags and I for one would slander their name on facebook, twitter and other medias. If our words are not heard they will go on forever treating people like pigs. These people have serious mental problems but I know that life in general will take care of them in its own special way, Karma. On a more positive note, 99,9 % of the members and Elvis fans in general are great people.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:59 pm

I don't know if this is of any use to you or not but you can go into a post office and pick up a special delivery bag complete with a tracking number to use at home then take back later and post your item, The prefix for those is SF and if you put the number into the tracking system you get the following message "Status: Please come back later

The system is currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference SF*********GB. Please try again later.

Special Delivery Guaranteed™ items are first tracked when they have reached our mail centre. This may be late in the evening on the day the item was sent.

Information on your Special Delivery Guaranteed™ item is not yet available."

I starred out the number because it is a real one that I intend to use myself, I don't think you can do this with registered mail as they affix the sticker when you purchase delivery from them.

If your tracking number started with SF then it`s possible that you have been given a legitimate but unused tracking number, I really hope this isn`t the case and I`m not accusing anyone of any wrong doing but just trying to help you with possible scenarios for your problem, I hope this can be resolved amicably between the two of you and you either get your money back or get the book.

Alan.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 pm

drghanem wrote:I have also learned the hardway, being ripped-off by members on this site years ago. These are the lowest of scumbags and I for one would slander their name on facebook, twitter and other medias. If our words are not heard they will go on forever treating people like pigs. These people have serious mental problems but I know that life in general will take care of them in its own special way, Karma. On a more positive note, 99,9 % of the members and Elvis fans in general are great people.

I appreciate the sympathy inherent in your comment, but I want to make it clear that I have not assumed guilt on anyone's part on anything except keeping appropriate contact about the situation. She *seemed* like a nice, geniune person when she was communicating at least. My hope is that this can still be worked out.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Chad Gates wrote:I don't know if this is of any use to you or not but you can go into a post office and pick up a special delivery bag complete with a tracking number to use at home then take back later and post your item, The prefix for those is SF and if you put the number into the tracking system you get the following message "Status: Please come back later

The system is currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference SF*********GB. Please try again later.

Special Delivery Guaranteed™ items are first tracked when they have reached our mail centre. This may be late in the evening on the day the item was sent.

Information on your Special Delivery Guaranteed™ item is not yet available."

I starred out the number because it is a real one that I intend to use myself, I don't think you can do this with registered mail as they affix the sticker when you purchase delivery from them.

If your tracking number started with SF then it`s possible that you have been given a legitimate but unused tracking number, I really hope this isn`t the case and I`m not accusing anyone of any wrong doing but just trying to help you with possible scenarios for your problem, I hope this can be resolved amicably between the two of you and you either get your money back or get the book.

Alan.

Thanks Alan. Responses of this nature are among the kind of thing I'm really looking for, although I'm not sure I understand - possibly owing to being in the US where terminology may differ. Is this a procedure for checking on a lost shipment, or a precaution for future shipments? If you think it might help and could find a link that explains in detail that might be very useful.

I don't suppose it would do any harm to give the Tracking Number she sent, which may help you determine if this is of potential help. Feel free to try it if you are interested/curious to see the data produced on a supposed April delivery. Despite the limited information shown, unfortunately it does not offer an inquiry from anyone but the person who did the shipping - which seems, foolishly perhaps - to discount the scenario of any theoretical recipient checking, in cases of the sender is being uncooperative. It would be interesting for instance to see if the shipment was in fact made by Tracey-Jayne or not. It wouldn't prove anything, but my hope has always been that she accidentally gave me the wrong tracking number from a previous shipment, and has been unresponsive for innocent, unrelated reasons.

Here is that tracking number. Using Royal Mail and Parcelforce produced the same information:
KF145307920GB

I am however starting to wonder if some sort of inquiry could be placed to investigate a possible case for mail fraud.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I would like to make an important correction to something previously stated and responded to. I have gone back through Tracey-Jayne's posts to find her reference to items for sale on Ebay. I thought it had said she was selling them - which would indicate her statement that she had no PayPal account was false. But in going back through her post history, I now see she was responding to a post farther up the thread, with a quote that included his full list.

My hasty assumption at the time, or perhaps mis-recollection, was based on her having told me she had recently acquired a fan's entire collection which included may duplicates of items she already owned - which included the Boy From Tupelo Set in question. Also, the results of searching her posts displays this thread in a way that very much looks like she started the thread and is stating the items are hers, by positioning the original thread copy next to her name without the appearance of a highlighted quote. You can see what I mean by clicking here, and searching the page for "ebay" to quickly find the thread in question.
search.php?author_id=12172&sr=posts

Nonetheless, I apologize for this mistake. Believe me when I say I am making great effort to describe the situation with total accuracy, and to withhold any premature conclusions or judgment. I'm not here to complain or discredit anyone - I am seeking resolution.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:19 pm

GREAT NEWS, for me at least! I have heard from Tracey-Jayne via personal E-mail, and she had given a full apology and completely convincing account about exactly what I had hoped was the situation: a series of mishaps, involving a hospital stay limited on internet access, and a third party's help with the shipment resulting in the accidental supplying of the wrong Tracking Number from a past shipment. She assures me she will work with me to account for everything and make sure all is worked out fully.

I believe she is in complete earnest, as is in keeping with my impression of her from all of my communication with her from the start.

I appreciate everyone's input and help and want to make it clear that she has my fullest confindence as of this time as an honest and considerate seller!

I am PM'ing the Moderators requesting to remove this thread and any mention of it remaining in the All Elvis section, so as to prevent any misunderstanding on anyones part that there is any ongoing problem.

Best to all including to Tracey-Jayne with whom I am now in contact and wish a full and speedy recovery from her hospital stay!

Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Glad it all worked out for you both :)

Alan.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Would anyone here have any dealings with boardmember Alan Lackey of The UK? If so, hopefully you were treated more honestly than me myself. I never received the dvd's I had paid for, £ 150 is sour money to lose. Live and learn. I'm stronger than ever, both mentally and physically. In conclusion I sincerely hope you'll eventually get your items.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 am

Glad to hear! I certainly hope everything goes smoothly and you get your Big Boy! It's worth it!

All the best,
rjm

Sent via mobile

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Just to confirm complete resolution, I did receive the package last week from Tracey, and what a beauty it is. And a hefty one at that! She was also kind enough to make a *very* generous gesture to express her good will and regret over complications. This was in no way necessary and a wonderful surprise. I am beyond happy with our transaction.