Note: Before any posting relating to Elvis Trading or selling is done in this Forum & FECC as whole, make sure that ALL ELVIS product must be Legal merchandise. In the case that we become aware that the material you are selling or trading is Illegal for all to see - Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Forum rules

Note: Before any posting relating to Elvis Trading or selling is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL ELVIS product must be Legal merchandise. If we become aware, the material you are selling or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Elvis' Golden Records on Ebay - Blue title, label variation

Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello there!

I currently have an Elvis record up on E-Bay for auction that I hope some of you can assist me with.

Before we proceed though, this is NOT a spam message nor an attempt to get anyone here to buy my record.

What I'd like to do is to get more information about this particular release and what I may or may not have here.

First, here's a link to my listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Golden-Records-LPM1707RE-Rare-LP-Blue-Title-Label-Variation-EX-/160810532576

From what I've gathered the cover is a first edition issue (has the blue lettering) BUT it's stamped RE on the back (though I've been told that there was no blue letter releases with the RE on it???). But the blue title is there and the RE IS on the back (see photos on my listing). Weird.

The record itself is in amazing condition with a rare RCA label (according to internet sites) BUT none of the stamped inner groove numbers correspond with listings I've seen for this label, so again,... a mystery.

The inner sleeve is from the era but the numbers are slightly higher than what I've seen listed elsewhere...

Is it possible I have three different components here? Rare, not rare?

I'd really like to know more about this from the experts... so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Greg

Re: Elvis' Golden Records on Ebay - Blue title, label variat

Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 am

That is the second release 1959 only. A variation with the white border on the cover 'RE" on the back, and blue letters front.

Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 am

Thank you for that info - did the second printings have the blue letters too?

Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 am

RevGreg wrote:Thank you for that info - did the second printings have the blue letters too?

Just for a short run in '59. IIRC something was changed in the wording to the story on the back , which why these were rerun in 59 before the white lettered third pressing were released.

Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 pm

You can read about this release here:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1707-elv ... n-records/

The blue letter, RE back is relatively common as is this label. I have had many more of this label than any other.

Other than the addition of the "RE" to the back, there is a significant and distinctive difference between the LPM-1707 and LPM-1707 RE.

From the LPM-1707 back, the beginning of the last sentence of the first (left) column begins "After thirty-one grueling "takes" a satisfactory master was finally made, and at this point the boys took a coffee break."

On the back of the LPM-1707 RE, the same sentence reads, "After several rehearsal "takes", a satisfactory master was finally made, and at this point the boys took a coffee break." The difference is "thirty-one grueling" was replaced with "several rehearsal".

Good luck with your auction, looks like you already got a bid.

Wed May 30, 2012 2:27 pm

You can read about this release here:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1707-elv ... n-records/

The blue letter, RE back is not as difficult to obtain than on one without the RE. This label, I have found to be one of the easier ones to obtain as I have had many more of this label than any other.

Other than the addition of the "RE" to the back, there is a significant and distinctive difference between the LPM-1707 and LPM-1707 RE.

From the LPM-1707 back, the beginning of the last sentence of the first (left) column begins "After thirty-one grueling "takes" a satisfactory master was finally made, and at this point the boys took a coffee break."

On the back of the LPM-1707 RE, the same sentence reads, "After several rehearsal "takes", a satisfactory master was finally made, and at this point the boys took a coffee break." The difference is "thirty-one grueling" was replaced with "several rehearsal".

Good luck with your auction, looks like you already got a bid.

Wed May 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you for your help (and the link).

While I love Elvis and have collected albums over the years, I have always been a more 1960's/1970's guy so I know those albums MUCH better (along with most of their variations, etc).

A friend pointed out the label variation to me when I was getting ready to put this up for auction.

That's when I began reading more about it and decided to ask the Elvis collectors on this forum. (Who have been great by the way)!

I have another edition of this album but in no where the condition this one is in. I have yet to pull it out to check for the RE, label, etc.

Thanks again - G