His latest Flame.Attempted in 71?

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

His latest Flame.Attempted in 71?

Post by shiatsujake »

According to Lee Cottons book,the September 3rd 1971 midnight show,was quiet eventful.For people who do not have this book,this is what was said.
During the midnight show,Elvis surprised the audience,as well as the orchestra,by attempting to sing,Maries The Name of His Latest Flame.After four lines,with only Glenn Hardin attempting to keep up with Elvis,the song collapsed.Then Elvis started Treat Me Nice,but switched to Wooden Heart,in which he sang the German verse.
Cisco,do we have audio evidence of this,if not,do you think this account is correct.Thanks in advance,and keep up the good work.PS .Hope this is of interest .Jake :)

Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Re: His latest Flame.Attempted in 71?

Post by Ciscoking »

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

shiatsujake wrote:According to Lee Cottons book,the September 3rd 1971 midnight show,was quiet eventful.For people who do not have this book,this is what was said.
During the midnight show,Elvis surprised the audience,as well as the orchestra,by attempting to sing,Maries The Name of His Latest Flame.After four lines,with only Glenn Hardin attempting to keep up with Elvis,the song collapsed.Then Elvis started Treat Me Nice,but switched to Wooden Heart,in which he sang the German verse.
Oh, if only he'd done a full version of "Wooden Heart," with Glen Hardin rockin' an accordion.

As for the 9-03-1971 MS you can find more information about the show and its one-liners here:
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/1971summerfestival.htm
http://bootleggingelvis.blogspot.com/2015/08/1971-summer-festival.html
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53592

Here's the snippet of "(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame" so you can judge for yourself if what Lee Cotten writes is correct:

It's not much. Why he never gave this a true outing is another mystery.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
shiatsujake
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by shiatsujake »

Thanks Doc.Many of these would have fitted so well into his stage show.oh well!Jake

drjohncarpenter

shiatsujake wrote:Thanks Doc.Many of these would have fitted so well into his stage show.oh well!Jake
You're welcome. I like helping the good members of this forum.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

There are so many songs from Elvis' vast catalogue of music which would have been great concert songs. His Latest Flame is one such song. I would have loved to hear the TCB band ripping on that one live. Gosh, like many of you I suspect, I could put together a long list of songs which I would have loved to have heard Elvis perform in concert. His Latest Flame would be near the top of that list.

rlj

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

I know it's pointless now, but why "If I Can Dream" never made the official setlist in 69 or after is the real mystery.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by vinelvis »

promiseland wrote:I know it's pointless now, but why "If I Can Dream" never made the official setlist in 69 or after is the real mystery.
I always wondered why it didn't made the the setlist.

promiseland
Registered for: 13 years

Post by promiseland »

vinelvis wrote:
promiseland wrote:I know it's pointless now, but why "If I Can Dream" never made the official setlist in 69 or after is the real mystery.
Yes especially with a JD dive bomb finale at the end.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I join you with that mystery. It would have been a real showstopper, especially in 69-70. Very possibly could have made a great closer at any point during the so-called concert years. The song would have spoken to the climate of the country at that time as well as the world in general. It's a song which has such an amazing message in it which can speak to people regardless of their setting.
Beyond this, it is a song of hope and possibility on a personal level given Elvis' humble beginnings. For myself, as a poor kid growing up the song spoke to me on many levels. I can only imagine the positive impact it could have had upon people sitting in a concert hall hearing him perform this.

rlj

drjohncarpenter

Not really. Elvis recognized doing that deeply emotional song twice a night, for four straight weeks, would be impossible. However, had he been booked on a 40-city, two-month tour across America, instead of the month-long residency totaling 57 shows, "If I Can Dream" might well have been included. But management thought Vegas was a better path. We all know how that worked out.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

promiseland wrote:
vinelvis wrote:
Yes especially with a JD dive bomb finale at the end.
A double dive bomb would be even better! :wink:

Just kidding. But it's a pity Elvis didn't sang it live in 1969 and 1970.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by brian »

Perhaps because Elvis wasn't really the type of artist to sing peace anthems or protest songs.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

brian wrote:
Perhaps because Elvis wasn't really the type of artist to sing peace anthems or protest songs.
He did sing In the ghetto.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by brian »

vinelvis wrote:
brian wrote:
He didn't do it very much and it was a bigger hit.

vinelvis

Post by vinelvis »

brian wrote:
vinelvis wrote:
brian wrote:
He sang it regulary in August 1969 and January/Februari 1970. And one time in August 1970. So he sang it more than a few times.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

In those concerts of 1961 Elvis did justice to some of his recent studio work.

I believe that if Elvis was doing a concert in say 1962 he may have sung it. But his voice had changed beyond recognition to recreate it later.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

vinelvis wrote:
brian wrote:
vinelvis wrote:
brian wrote:
He sang it regulary in August 1969 and January/Februari 1970. And one time in August 1970. So he sang it more than a few times.
He also performed it a few times during his september 1970 tour and ofcourse atleast once on february 19 1971

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets