"The Hillbilly Cat Live" LP - a closer look

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

"The Hillbilly Cat Live" LP - a closer look

Post by Ciscoking »

This legendary bootleg 2 LP set was released back in 1970 by the Spring Fever Record Club label / Canada (SFLP301). I always had a great faible for it. The shows are powerhouse performances throughout with Elvis and band being sheer dynamite. Another reason for my fascination might be that there was always a mistery about the correct dates. It was sure that the recordings originated from August 1970 and that the main part on sides 1-3 was a show from August 24. Either the DS or the MS. Some experts even stated it was August 23. The bonus tracks on side 4 remained a mistery. For ages I was wondering about the date of that hilarious version of Hound Dog on side 4 which is really unique, especially the “Mexican intro”. Also When The Snow Is On The Roses caught my interest, of course. I guess it debuted there. The first pressings were reportedly limited to 200 copies which makes this item still a collectors treasure. The only minus is the muffled sound.
A few months ago I had the honour to meet that guy who recorded the shows back then – Claude from Canada. Unfortunately not personally but at least via e-mails. He is one of the friendliest persons I have ever met in the Elvis scene and he provided me with many precious informations about the recordings. So here you have the definite key for them.

Recorded on MC tape in chronological order,

Tape 1, August 23, 1970 DS:
That`s All Right (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I Got A Woman (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
Tiger Man (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
Love Me Tender (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I`ve Lost You (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I Just Can`t Help Believing (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
You`ve Lost That Lovin`Feeling (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Polk Salad Annie (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Band Intros (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Johnny B.Goode (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
The Wonder Of You (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Heartbreak Hotel (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
One Night (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
All Shook Up
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin`Going On
Hound Dog (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Suspicious Minds (incomplete)
Can’t Help Falling In Love (not recorded)

Tape2, August 24, 1970 MS:
That`s All Right
I Got A Woman / Ave Maria (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Tiger Man
I Just Can`t Help Believing (incomplete)
You`ve Lost That Lovin`Feeling
Polk Salad Annie (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Band Intros 1
Johnny B. Goode
Band Intros 2
When The Snow Is On The Roses (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
The Wonder Of
Heartbreak Hotel (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
One Night (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
All Shook Up (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin`Going On (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Hound Dog (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Suspicious Minds (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Release Me (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Can’t Help Falling In Love (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)

The August 23, 1970 DS has been released on “The Hillbilly Live” CD (Graceland Records, 2012).
.Note: Suspicious Minds was spliced with Aug 24, MS (wrongly dated with DS on the cover). Can’t Help Falling In Love was also taken from this show to make the concert complete.

The August 24, 1970 MS has been released on “The Hillbilly Cat Returns” (Graceland Records, 2012).
Note: I Just Can’t Help believing was spliced with Aug 23, 1970 DS to make it complete and I got A Woman is incomplete at the beginning. Please also note that neither Love Me Tender nor I’ve Lost You were performed during this show as Claude confirmed.

It was also released on a disc called “The Night Elvis Sang When The Snow Is On The Roses” (Dr. Pepper, 2004) which was lifted from a cd-r floating around in collectors circles.

Graceland Records purchased the original tapes from Canada. Therefore their releases are the ultimate versions of these shows with the best sound.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Re: "The Hillbilly Cat Live" LP - a closer look

Post by goldbelt »

When you mentioned the Mexico intro to Hound Dog I rushed to check it out hoping to find something from the Fun In Acapulco soundtrack, rather than buttering bread :lol:

Surprised he didn't do a line of 'Butterlajara'.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I amended it a bit..to cause no confusion..:lol:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Although we've had the breakdowns before, and the original LP is dissected in the essential Bootleg Elvis published a few years ago, it's fun to revisit. The bottom line is this is Elvis on stage performing at a very high level, and looking as handsome as can be.

120401_Graceland Records GR 7004.JPG
The Hillbilly Cat Live (Graceland Records CD GR 7004, April 1, 2012)
International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV - 8-23-1970 DS

120108_Graceland Records GR 7003.JPG
The Hillbilly Cat Returns (Graceland Records CD GR 7003, January 8, 2012)
International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV - 8-24-1970 MS

The sound on these 2012 discs is quite good. And each gives us yet more standalone versions of "Tiger Man," along with those mysterious, pointed comments about the song.

Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:This legendary bootleg 2 LP set was released back in 1970 by the Spring Fever Record Club label / Canada (SFLP301). I always had a great faible for it. The shows are powerhouse performances throughout with Elvis and band being sheer dynamite. Another reason for my fascination might be that there was always a mistery about the correct dates. It was sure that the recordings originated from August 1970 and that the main part on sides 1-3 was a show from August 24. Either the DS or the MS. Some experts even stated it was August 23. The bonus tracks on side 4 remained a mistery. For ages I was wondering about the date of that hilarious version of Hound Dog on side 4 which is really unique, especially the “Mexican intro”. Also When The Snow Is On The Roses caught my interest, of course. I guess it debuted there. The first pressings were reportedly limited to 200 copies which makes this item still a collectors treasure. The only minus is the muffled sound.
A few months ago I had the honour to meet that guy who recorded the shows back then – Claude from Canada. Unfortunately not personally but at least via e-mails. He is one of the friendliest persons I have ever met in the Elvis scene and he provided me with many precious informations about the recordings. So here you have the definite key for them.

Recorded on MC tape in chronological order,

Tape 1, August 23, 1970 DS:
That`s All Right (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I Got A Woman (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
Tiger Man (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
Love Me Tender (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I`ve Lost You (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
I Just Can`t Help Believing (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 1)
You`ve Lost That Lovin`Feeling (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Polk Salad Annie (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Band Intros (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Johnny B.Goode (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
The Wonder Of You (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
Heartbreak Hotel (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
One Night (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 2)
All Shook Up
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin`Going On
Hound Dog (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Suspicious Minds (incomplete)
Can’t Help Falling In Love (not recorded)

Tape2, August 24, 1970 MS:
That`s All Right
I Got A Woman / Ave Maria (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Tiger Man
I Just Can`t Help Believing (incomplete)
You`ve Lost That Lovin`Feeling
Polk Salad Annie (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
Band Intros 1
Johnny B. Goode
Band Intros 2
When The Snow Is On The Roses (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
The Wonder Of
Heartbreak Hotel (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
One Night (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 4)
All Shook Up (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Blue Suede Shoes / Whole Lotta Shakin`Going On (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Hound Dog (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Suspicious Minds (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Release Me (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)
Can’t Help Falling In Love (The Hillbilly Cat Live Side 3)

The August 23, 1970 DS has been released on “The Hillbilly Live” CD (Graceland Records, 2012).
.Note: Suspicious Minds was spliced with Aug 24, MS (wrongly dated with DS on the cover). Can’t Help Falling In Love was also taken from this show to make the concert complete.

The August 24, 1970 MS has been released on “The Hillbilly Cat Returns” (Graceland Records, 2012).
Note: I Just Can’t Help believing was spliced with Aug 23, 1970 DS to make it complete and I got A Woman is incomplete at the beginning. Please also note that neither Love Me Tender nor I’ve Lost You were performed during this show as Claude confirmed.

It was also released on a disc called “The Night Elvis Sang When The Snow Is On The Roses” (Dr. Pepper, 2004) which was lifted from a cd-r floating around in collectors circles.

Graceland Records purchased the original tapes from Canada. Therefore their releases are the ultimate versions of these shows with the best sound.
How's the sound of "Snow Is On The Roses"? Compared to Live In Las Vegas Sony? Thanks!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Although we've had the breakdowns before, and the original LP is dissected in the essential Bootleg Elvis published a few years ago, it's fun to revisit.
Can you direct me to the link where the original MCs are mentioned ? Also the cuts and edits I have spotted..? I am not goot at googeling as you know. Thanks, John.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Tony.. »

No doubt Straight Arrow will be re-releasing these again at some point, claiming better quality, an extra 6 seconds etc....

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Tony.. wrote:No doubt Straight Arrow will be re-releasing these again at some point, claiming better quality, an extra 6 seconds etc....
I would buy it just for the 6 seconds more.

drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Although we've had the breakdowns before, and the original LP is dissected in the essential Bootleg Elvis published a few years ago, it's fun to revisit.
Can you direct me to the link where the original MCs are mentioned ? Also the cuts and edits I have spotted..? I am not goot at googeling as you know. Thanks, John.
It's not about Google. As I clearly note, one needs to own a copy of the book, as I do. This might help:
http://www.bootleg-elvis.com/order.html

Also, there's an extensive interview there with the guy who made this bootleg, Claude La Liberté. He tells all about it in Bootleg Elvis.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
It's not about Google. As I clearly note, one needs to own a copy of the book, as I do.
John....this means no more postings in this forum when you can read it some books..? And you guess anybody here has it..? I made this posting for those who dont own the book, too.

And please tell me where in the book I can read the rundown of the MCs and the cuts and edits I have mentioned. Thank you.

drjohncarpenter

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not about Google. As I clearly note, one needs to own a copy of the book, as I do. This might help:
http://www.bootleg-elvis.com/order.html

Also, there's an extensive interview there with the guy who made this bootleg, Claude La Liberté. He tells all about it in Bootleg Elvis.
John....this means no more postings in this forum when you can read it some books..? And you guess anybody here has it..? I made this posting for those who dont own the book, too.

And please tell me where in the book I can read the rundown of the MCs and the cuts and edits I have mentioned. Thank you.
Joachim....no it doesn't mean that at all.

You asked a question, and I gave you the answer, it's as simple as that. Of course you do own Bootleg Elvis, a must for any serious fan, yeah? Sadly, Joachim....you did not state this topic was meant for those who do not have it, and no one here is a mind-reader,

Oh, since you asked, Joachim....the guy who created the 1970 bootleg, Claude La Liberté, had a friend post an email he wrote about his track listing. Read it here:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53641&p=851542#p851542

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by matilda »

this john, joachim in fat words.... :roll:

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Of course you do own Bootleg Elvis, a must for any serious fan, yeah?Sadly, Joachim...you did not state this topic was meant for those who do not have it, and no one here is a mind-reader,
I forgot... my posting was for all who have the book. Who else, John ?

steve rogers
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by steve rogers »

I have the original blue label pfirst pressing of this records, pay 18$ in 1971! Claude is a gfood friend of mine, and I saw him in Montreal last year at the elvis convention. I just put my LP on the for sale section.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

steve rogers on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:37 am wrote:I have the original blue label pfirst pressing of this records, pay 18$ in 1971! Claude is a gfood friend of mine, and I saw him in Montreal last year at the elvis convention. I just put my LP on the for sale section.
Tell him greetz from Ciscoking....we talked so much about the history of this stunning 2 LP set..aaah..those days..