Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

1970.02.17 Dinner Show - wrongly dated

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:54 am

Hello everyone,

so we have that poor audience recording dated February 17, 1970 Dinner Show, where Elvis introduces Steve Allen after band intros.

On Keith Flynn site he says that Polk Salad Annie from this show was released on "Good Times Never Seemed So Good" (track 16) and on Behind Closed Doors 4LP.

The problem is, Polk Salad on audience recording is completely different. It is also different from all other multitrack recordings that we have.
So my guess is - it probably not February 17 Dinner Show.

Do we have any more information about when Steve Allen could attend Elvis show, or any other idea what could be the right date for that show (I assume that Keith is right on Polk Salad Annie track).

Cheers

Tomek

Re: 1970.02.17 Dinner Show - wrongly dated

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Did you also compare Kentucky Rain..?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:12 pm

This one is from Midnight Show on Good Times...

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:14 pm

I meant the AR version of K. Rain with Writing For The King. They are from the same show.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Oh wait it's on Ftd. Ok let me check but Polk Salad is realoy different.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:38 am

Tomek wrote:Hello everyone,

so we have that poor audience recording dated February 17, 1970 Dinner Show, where Elvis introduces Steve Allen after band intros.

On Keith Flynn site he says that Polk Salad Annie from this show was released on "Good Times Never Seemed So Good" (track 16) and on Behind Closed Doors 4LP.

The problem is, Polk Salad on audience recording is completely different. It is also different from all other multitrack recordings that we have.

Do we have any more information about when Steve Allen could attend Elvis show, or any other idea what could be the right date for that show (I assume that Keith is right on Polk Salad Annie track).

Cheers

Tomek

Steve Allen? I gotta get this one!!

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tomek wrote:Hello everyone,

Cheers

Tomek

Steve Allen? I gotta get this one!!

I heard/read about him doing that, a long time ago. Can't recall the circumstances. Maybe here. Anyway, uh, he supposedly said "I love him, but I'll never forgive him."

If anyone has heard it, can you confirm or deny that he said that? (It was in a George Smith topic: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60384#p896864

I hope he didn't find it on the web, where I quoted it, and now can't remember where I found it! (But he has the date nailed perfectly, so I don't think it was a "going in circles" kinda thing.) Just hit search in your browser.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:05 am

Kentucky Rain is identical on the AR and on Writing For The King FTD. There it is dated as 17,2,1970 DS.
This means Polk Salad Annie - which is not identical - is most likely wrongly dated on Keiths site and stems from another show on Good Times Never Seems So Good CD. It hasn't been released officially,..btw.....................thanks to Patrik..

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 am

Great.

Maybe that Polk Slad on Good Times is 16.02 Midnight Show then. It's the only one also taped.

As for Steve Allen introduction (he introduces Peter Falk before that) he says that he appeard in hes show whe he was starting out and thet he is "one of the finest man in the business". Then I think he also introduces his wife (lot's of noice from teh audience so I'm not 100% sure).

Anyway that's everyone for your help.

Cheers

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

No problem.. :smt006

A sidenote..Elvis sings Hound Dod with "high class verse"..this show in good sound would be a killer..

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Yea, actally he did that verse lots of time this season.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:41 am

Tomek wrote:Yea, actally he did that verse lots of time this season.

In which other shows did he sing that verse, other than this one and the February 15 MS?

I wish we knew more about this season. There are very large gaps between shows in which a lot could have happened.

There is a gap between January 26 and February 3. That's 14 shows; and Elvis is known to have sang songs early in many Vegas seasons that were fresh from the recent rehearsals. Who knows? There may be a live version of Any Day Now, Trouble, And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind, Memphis, Tennessee, or I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago in the can that we don't even know about.

There's also an even larger gap between February 5 and 15. That's a 19 show gap. During that time, Proud Mary and Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel was dropped (not likely at the same time), and Hound Dog and Love Me Tender were added permanently (also not likely at the same time), and Kentucky Rain was moved up earlier in the list. I wonder what those transitions looked like.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:07 am

Absolutely...anything was possible in these days...

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:51 pm

In the past an audience recording with this show was circulating made from several shows from feb. 1970 and with insert RCA multitracks. Poor home made work.
Is this PA show the real concert?

colonel snow

Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:54 pm

That was my other thought about that tape. Cause there are few obvious cuts, so who knows.
At least we know that Kentucky Rain is from that show so probablu some part of the tape is dated right.

There's cut after Sweet Caroline before Polk Salad Annie, so this could be the place where other concert tape could start.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:41 pm

colonel snow wrote:In the past an audience recording with this show was circulating made from several shows from feb. 1970 and with insert RCA multitracks. Poor home made work.
Is this PA show the real concert?

colonel snow

It stems from an old cassette tape labelled 2/17/70 DS. Either you trust or not. But this counts
for all of them.

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:36 am

Elvis also introduces Steve Allan on Sep 2, 1974 DS..as "a good friend of mine"..also Charles Heston whom he met dressed as Moses while having lunch in the Paramount studios.. :lol: ...

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:02 pm

It's not the first time that PA CDR/tapes were cut and pasted from several sources to create a complete concert.

colonel snow

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:07 am

If there are other rare performances its from those early in the engagement shows. Hopefully more shows surface.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:15 am

DEH wrote:If there are other rare performances its from those early in the engagement shows. Hopefully more shows surface.

That would be a collectors dream come true.