Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/69 DS

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/6

Post by rjm »

stayawayjoe001 wrote: Here is a youtube clip about collenel Parkers Office in Madison tennessee

BOXCAR_HAVING_FUN_FRONT.JPG
Forgive the intrusion on this significant discussion, but does someone know when and under what circumstances that phone call was made?

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

stayawayjoe001
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

Ciscoking wrote:The Baxter people only had a DAT copy..what about the original..? Is there a date on it..
Yes exactly what the paperwork says, july 31

YDKM
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by YDKM »

:D Gee keep this discussion going guys its tremendously interesting..... :wink:
also Cisco....... what about an 'expanded FTD ' of Elvis having fun on stage BUT with the actual REAL dates on the tracks! :D :wink:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

Comparing dialogue is not the way to check concerts. An example for 25-08-69 midnight (Elvis in Person):

I can't stop loving you - dialogue edited;

My babe - dialogue added from prior I got a woman;

Mystery train/Tiger man - dialogue added;

Hound dog - dialogue edited.

Copying and paste parts of concerts is the way RCA/BMG works.

colonel snow

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

a VERY valid point Colonel and happens in FTD too :?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Hans
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Hans »

YDKM wrote::D Gee keep this discussion going guys its tremendously interesting..... :wink:
also Cisco....... what about an 'expanded FTD ' of Elvis having fun on stage BUT with the actual REAL dates on the tracks! :D :wink:
You must be kidding wanting a only talking album .... I like some Elvis-dialogue but pls in the right context, with the rest of the concert.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

colonel snow wrote:Comparing dialogue is not the way to check concerts. An example for 25-08-69 midnight (Elvis in Person):

I can't stop loving you - dialogue edited;

My babe - dialogue added from prior I got a woman;

Mystery train/Tiger man - dialogue added;

Hound dog - dialogue edited.

Copying and paste parts of concerts is the way RCA/BMG works.

colonel snow
Comparing dialogue makes sense when you have the respective audience recordings..
they reveal what has been edited on the SB`s..I assume you know the edits on this MT
cause you have checked the audience recording as released recently on Midnight Resurrection
At The Hilton. So it does make sense when you do it this way and not the other way round..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:The Baxter people only had a DAT copy..what about the original..? Is there a date on it..
I don`t understand..first..which format was the original tape..?

Was is a cassette tape with which they recorded the show..then we`d had a mono soundboard recording
(which is unlikey cause we have at least stereo on Having Fun With Elvis on Stage LP).
Was is a reel to reel tape ...?. Or a multi track tape...?

Then you wrote....
stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Ger Rijff make a comments on this a few years ago
... Okay, ladies... Opening night 69, as it appears on boot is the original
mixed, processed, compressed, bad edited, fokked version Joan intended
for release. And it could well be the only copy in existence...?
This was told to me, by somebody who know

The producers of Fort Baxter did not changed the recordings, so the sound on the Opening Night cd is exactly as the tape
This means to me..the Baxters only had a copy..you said a DAT copy..of the original tape..so where do you know from what has been written on the original tape..? i Guess you saw the Baxter copy...but NOT the original tape and the original paperwork..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

Ciscoking wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:
I don`t understand..first..which format was the original tape..?

Reel to reel

Was is a cassette tape with which they recorded the show..then we`d had a mono soundboard recording
(which is unlikey cause we have at least stereo on Having Fun With Elvis on Stage LP).
Was is a reel to reel tape ...?. Or a multi track tape...?

I dont Know . But i think its a 2 track recording ( also reel to reel)

Then you wrote....
stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Ger Rijff make a comments on this a few years ago
... Okay, ladies... Opening night 69, as it appears on boot is the original
mixed, processed, compressed, bad edited, fokked version Joan intended
for release. And it could well be the only copy in existence...?
This was told to me, by somebody who know

The producers of Fort Baxter did not changed the recordings, so the sound on the Opening Night cd is exactly as the tape
This means to me..the Baxters only had a copy..you said a DAT copy..of the original tape..so where do you know from what has been written on the original tape..? i Guess you saw the Baxter copy...but NOT the original tape and the original paperwork..
The Baxter people had a copy of the DAT tape that was made from the reel

dougkapp
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dougkapp »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:Joan Deary dropped the idea, Instead then, "Our memories Of Elvis released.
All concert tapes from the collection of Joan Deary had Misc numbers
She has all concert tapes marked as misc 0001, 0002 etc.
Interesting.... Is there any information about those tapes/number ? what is the number 001 or 002 ? Is there any information about unreleased concerts which she was working on ? Except the famous "Opening Night". Maybe soundboards....

If Fort Baxter had a DAT Copy from reel to reel, I belive that the original tape is on Sony vaults/archives... so maybe the sound be better than the The Return of a Prodigy ? Who knows ?

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

dougkapp wrote:
If Fort Baxter had a DAT Copy from reel to reel, I belive that the original tape is on Sony vaults/archives... so maybe the sound be better than the The Return of a Prodigy ? Who knows ?
That is possible, of course..but I am somehow afraid the original tape got lost..

voldto

Post by voldto »

im sure i have heard the "its hard to get started in these dinner shows" on some audience tapes, i just cant find them atm
also the one liner of polk salad annie appears before all shook up, on the 5th it appears before love me tender, on the 24th after johnny b goode and on the 25th and 26th its before cant help falling in love

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

voldto wrote:im sure i have heard the "its hard to get started in these dinner shows" on some audience tapes, i just cant find them atm
also the one liner of polk salad annie appears before all shook up, on the 5th it appears before love me tender, on the 24th after johnny b goode and on the 25th and 26th its before cant help falling in love
Is there a good list of what there is is on audience recording?

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

dougkapp wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:Joan Deary dropped the idea, Instead then, "Our memories Of Elvis released.
Interesting.... Is there any information about those tapes/number ? what is the number 001 or 002 ? Is there any information about unreleased concerts which she was working on ? Except the famous "Opening Night". Maybe soundboards....[/quote]

When you have a look at the tape legends and reels, you'll see there where 2 different sources. The first source: their own tapes. The other source : the tapes that came from Col. Parker.

Some tapeboxes (like the reel from the january 27th midnight show) are stamped:
All Star Shows, Box 220, Madison Tennessee 37115. These tapes clearly come from Col. Parkers office.
On the otherhand there are tapes (from the same show) that don't have these stamp, these were recorded by RCA themselves (or they were copied from tapes from Col. Parkers office).

In 1974 Col. Parker made copies from almost all the tapes that RCA posessed. This was done for the "Having With With Elvis On Stage" Album.
When you listen to that lp, most of the recordings come from 1974 and 1973 ( Tours, Las Vegas
and Lake Tahoe).
Infact, we got 21 clips from 1974, 6 clips from 1973, 1 clip from 1970 and 7 clips from 1969.

In the later years more soundboards were made, some of them and came in other hands.
Thats why we now have more sources from soundboard.
The tapes that Sony has, are numbered as misc 0001, misc 0002 etc.

In 1978 when joan Deary made an inventory of what Sony had in there vaults, she re-numbered
the reels ( you can see her handwritting on both sides of the reels).

misc T0001 - is the opening night 1969 (which in fact is the show as discuss here in this topic)
misc T0002 - is the first part of the opening show of january 26 1970
misc T0003 - is the second part of the opening show januay 26 1970
misc T0004 - is the first part of the closing show from february 23 1970
misc T0005 - is the second part of the closing show from february 23 1970
misc T0006 - is the opening show of january 26 1971(this tape was probably damaged and the
rest of the show was recorded on a another tape)
misc T0007 - is the midnight show of january 27 1971 (was recorded on the other side of the tape
from the 26th probably because the tape was damaged and cut. The show was only
recorded until Hound Dog, the rest of that show is not recorded)
misc T0008 - is probably the dinner show of january 28th 1971 ( The Impossible Dream FTD)
misc T0009 - is The midnight show from january 28th (released on Lean Mean and Kicking But)
misc T0010 - is the dinner show of january 29 1971 (released on Snowbird)
misc T0011 - opening show from january 26 1972 (released on Opening Night 1972)
misc T0012- dinner show august 11 released on Summer Festival
misc T0013 - midnight show august 11 1972 (released on At Full Blast)
misc T0014- Dinner Show august 12 (released on 3000 South Paradise Road)
misc T0015 - Midnight Show august 12 ( released on Hot august Night)

As you can see, there is not much in the vaults from the early years at sony.
There are however some more shows recorded in the early days.
We know that the following show were recorded:
Houston Astrodome Show of february 27 1970
Tampa september 13 1970 Lake Tahoe july 24 1971
Boston november 10 1971

These shows all came from the Col. Parker collection and where not found in the RCA vaults

dougkapp

Post by dougkapp »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
dougkapp wrote:
Interesting.... Is there any information about those tapes/number ? what is the number 001 or 002 ? Is there any information about unreleased concerts which she was working on ? Except the famous "Opening Night". Maybe soundboards....

When you have a look at the tape legends and reels, you'll see there where 2 different sources. The first source: their own tapes. The other source : the tapes that came from Col. Parker.

Some tapeboxes (like the reel from the january 27th midnight show) are stamped:
All Star Shows, Box 220, Madison Tennessee 37115. These tapes clearly come from Col. Parkers office.
On the otherhand there are tapes (from the same show) that don't have these stamp, these were recorded by RCA themselves (or they were copied from tapes from Col. Parkers office).

In 1974 Col. Parker made copies from almost all the tapes that RCA posessed. This was done for the "Having With With Elvis On Stage" Album.
When you listen to that lp, most of the recordings come from 1974 and 1973 ( Tours, Las Vegas
and Lake Tahoe).
Infact, we got 21 clips from 1974, 6 clips from 1973, 1 clip from 1970 and 7 clips from 1969.

In the later years more soundboards were made, some of them and came in other hands.
Thats why we now have more sources from soundboard.
The tapes that Sony has, are numbered as misc 0001, misc 0002 etc.

In 1978 when joan Deary made an inventory of what Sony had in there vaults, she re-numbered

misc T0001 - is the opening night 1969 (which in fact is the show as discuss here in this topic)
misc T0002 - is the first part of the opening show of january 26 1970
misc T0003 - is the second part of the opening show januay 26 1970
misc T0004 - is the first part of the closing show from february 23 1970
misc T0005 - is the second part of the closing show from february 23 1970
misc T0006 - is the opening show of january 26 1971(this tape was probably damaged and the
rest of the show was recorded on a another tape)
misc T0007 - is the midnight show of january 27 1971 (was recorded on the other side of the tape
from the 26th probably because the tape was damaged and cut. The show was only
recorded until Hound Dog, the rest of that show is not recorded)
misc T0008 - is probably the dinner show of january 28th 1971 ( The Impossible Dream FTD)
misc T0009 - is The midnight show from january 28th (released on Lean Mean and Kicking But)
misc T0010 - is the dinner show of january 29 1971 (released on Snowbird)
misc T0011 - opening show from january 26 1972 (released on Opening Night 1972)
misc T0012- dinner show august 11 released on Summer Festival
misc T0013 - midnight show august 11 1972 (released on At Full Blast)
misc T0014- Dinner Show august 12 (released on 3000 South Paradise Road)
misc T0015 - Midnight Show august 12 ( released on Hot august Night)

As you can see, there is not much in the vaults from the early years at sony.
There are however some more shows recorded in the early days.
We know that the following show were recorded:
Houston Astrodome Show of february 27 1970
Tampa september 13 1970 Lake Tahoe july 24 1971
Boston november 10 1971

These shows all came from the Col. Parker collection and where not found in the RCA vaults[/quote]

Wow !!!!! or Uau in Brazilian Portuguese !!! Thank you very much for your post !!!! ::rocks

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Okay,..here is what I have concluded after this flood of infos..

Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and Dick Bogard made a new reel to reel tape prepared for an album. Ernst found the new Bogard Reel in the vaults and put it on DAT tape. The people of Baxter made a copy of the DAT tape. Before, this reel to reel tape had already been used by Parker for parts of the Having Fun With Elvis On Stage project. Obviously Deary`s first thoughts were that 8/3/69 DS was in fact Elvis' Opening Night 1969 and therefore she chose the working title "Las vegas Hilton 7/31/69 Opening Show" for her tape while she was preparing it for a possible release in March 1979. Or she even did it on purpose by thinking no one would detect it after being released. In any case, being a bit nearer with the stuff, she realised that the show had nothing to do with the Opening Night and dropped the idea in favour of Our Memories Of Elvis. The Deary tape is a patchwork of at least 2 shows (Reportedly the August 3rd DS and 5th DS). Ft. Baxter bootlegged that Deary tape in the 90`s and Opening Night was a perfect title for them. They had no motivation to search for the right date. Would perhaps only have caused unnecessary troubles back then.. :wink:

It would be interesting to know where this original reel to reel tape is at the moment,..though.

What do you think ?
Last edited by Ciscoking on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
and Lake Tahoe).
You have the dates..?

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

Ciscoking wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and made a DAT copy of it. Before , this reel to reel tape had already been used by Parker for parts of the Having Fun With Elvis On Stage project. Obviously Deary`s first thoughts were that 8/3/69 DS was in fact Elvis' Opening Night 1969 and therefore she chose the working title "Las vegas Hilton 7/31/69 Opening Show" for her tape while she was preparing it for a possible release in March 1979. Or she even did it on purpose by thinking no one would detect it after being released. In any case, being a bit nearer with the stuff, she realised that the show had nothing to do with the Opening Night and dropped the idea in favour of Our Memories Of Elvis. The Deary tape is a patchwork of at least 2 shows (Reportedly the August 3rd DS and 5th DS). Ft. Baxter bootlegged that Deary tape in the 90`s and Opening Night was a perfect title for them. They had no motivation to search for the right date. Would perhaps only have caused unnecessary troubles back then.. :wink:

It would be interesting to know where this original reel to reel tape is at the moment,..though.

What do you think ?
You said : Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and made a DAT copy of it.

But it is: Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and Dick Bogard made a new reel to reel tape prepared for an album, Ernst found the new Bogard Reel in the vaulths and put him on DAT tape, The people of Baxter made a copy of the DAT tape
On other tapes you find that Joan deary has written on the orginal tape Transferd to reel or cassette
19710129_tape.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

Ciscoking wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:
and Lake Tahoe).
You have the dates..?
No but it would be intresting to look into that
now we have so many soundboards and audience recordings

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

When did Joan Deary stop working on Elvis? I don't recall DAT tapes coming into wide use until the late 80s.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
stayawayjoe001 wrote:

Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and made a DAT copy of it. Before , this reel to reel tape had already been used by Parker for parts of the Having Fun With Elvis On Stage project. Obviously Deary`s first thoughts were that 8/3/69 DS was in fact Elvis' Opening Night 1969 and therefore she chose the working title "Las vegas Hilton 7/31/69 Opening Show" for her tape while she was preparing it for a possible release in March 1979. Or she even did it on purpose by thinking no one would detect it after being released. In any case, being a bit nearer with the stuff, she realised that the show had nothing to do with the Opening Night and dropped the idea in favour of Our Memories Of Elvis. The Deary tape is a patchwork of at least 2 shows (Reportedly the August 3rd DS and 5th DS). Ft. Baxter bootlegged that Deary tape in the 90`s and Opening Night was a perfect title for them. They had no motivation to search for the right date. Would perhaps only have caused unnecessary troubles back then.. :wink:

What do you think ?
You said : Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and made a DAT copy of it.

But it is: Joan Deary took the original reel to reel tape (which I think was correcty dated with 8/3/69 DS) and Dick Bogard made a new reel to reel tape prepared for an album, Ernst found the new Bogard Reel in the vaulths and put him on DAT tape, The people of Baxter made a copy of the DAT tape
On other tapes you find that Joan deary has written on the orginal tape Transferd to reel or cassette
19710129_tape.jpg
I amended my conclusion..any comment is greatly appreciated..I want this conclusion being as perfect as possible..

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

elvisjock wrote:When did Joan Deary stop working on Elvis? I don't recall DAT tapes coming into wide use until the late 80s.

It was not Joan Deary who worked with DAT tapes but Ernst and Roger digging in the RCA Vaults
On this site you find the story about the search in New York and Indianapolis

dougkapp

Post by dougkapp »

Where can I find the story about the search in New York and Indianapolis? this website or this forum ?
Thank you in advance !

Man or men ... you need to write a book about all this things, including tape legends, the story of Fort Baxter, Madison, Diamond, and others, of course, no mention names... but will be very interesting know something and facts about the concerts / tapes that we all love !!

stayawayjoe001

Post by stayawayjoe001 »

dougkapp wrote:Where can I find the story about the search in New York and Indianapolis? this website or this forum ?
Thank you in advance !

Man or men ... you need to write a book about all this things, including tape legends, the story of Fort Baxter, Madison, Diamond, and others, of course, no mention names... but will be very interesting know something and facts about the concerts / tapes that we all love !!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/rijff_indianavaults.html

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The more and more SB or parts of them get released on FTD the more you find that bootleggers back then gave wrong dates on purpose. Example..And The King For Dessert..(we have Now Or Never on High Sierra FTD dated May 23, 1974 DS)..Don`t Think Twice (we have Sweet Caroline dated Febr, 2, 1973 MS on I`ll Remember You FTD) and one more It`s A Matter Of Time (we have I`ll Remember You dated Febr.3, 1973 DS on I`ll Remember You FTD)..there are more..the same counted for our Opening Night..for sure.. :wink: