Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Who changed the date of the box from 7/31/69 OS to 8/3/6

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:09 pm

I don`t think so..it`s archived.. 68/8/?...

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I don`t think so..it`s archived.. 68/8/?...

The tape you see is not the orginal concert tape , but a preparation for an album.
Joan deary just assumed it was the opening show. Maybe thats why she dropped the idea
And Joan Deary was never accurate with dates

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:47 pm

if someone could identify specific things that hints to this show being from early in the seson, and also identify specific things that indicates some of the shows from later in the season is from late in the season,
people could compare with audience recordings they have.
i have a handful of undated 1969 shows which i never thought of trying to date based on what/how elvis is saying something

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Matthew wrote:Isn't it something to do with the "it's hard to get going these dinner shows" line? He would have had to have done at least a couple of dinner shows to form that opinion, right?

I don't think this date has ever been locked in but Cisco, if this query is indicative of FTD putting the show out (please!) then good luck with your query!

would he say that after doing only 2 dinner shows in over 10 years? sounds more like a comment made when one has done at least a handful of dinner shows already

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:17 pm

voldto wrote:if someone could identify specific things that hints to this show being from early in the seson, and also identify specific things that indicates some of the shows from later in the season is from late in the season,

It`s definitely from early this season..the arrangement of Are You Lonesome Tonight is different from later shows..(from memory)..

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Does the original tape box exist (not the 1979 Dreary tape transfer box)? If so, what does the writing on the original tape box indicate?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:19 am

Can it be that Deary already worked on the tape as she did with Dallas 75 and it is a patchwork of shows or is it the original tape we have..?

Elvisjock wrote about an AR he has..

The August 3 cassette, in certain spots, sounds IDENTICAL to Return of a Prodigy, including on CHFIL. I compared several songs, and some sound alike, to my ears. The surrounding dialogue, however, is different. Some of the performances are clearly different, and the show lineup varies a bit. As you noted, Cisco, it seems to be a patchwork of different shows. Could it be, though, that the soundboard tape is actually a composite?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:32 am

Could be but... why the sound is so "even"?
I think we should be told!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:26 pm

001 tape legen -69a RF.jpg
01- tapelegend RF 69 b.jpg

when you read the tape you see that the tape is remasted/prepared on march 13 1979 by Dick Bogart it is the second mix
The tape is Binaural and was in dolby recorded you see also that it was prepared for album release

side 1: 16,32, side 2 : 16,31 side 3: 15,40 side 4 : 18,23
My idea is that the recordings of august 3 and 5
I have heard a other unreleased 69 soundboard.
When you listen to the lp Having fun with Elvis on stage there you can find some other unreleased dialouqe of august 1969

Ger Rijff make a comments on this a few years ago
... Okay, ladies... Opening night 69, as it appears on boot is the original
mixed, processed, compressed, bad edited, fokked version Joan intended
for release. And it could well be the only copy in existence...?
This was told to me, by somebody who know

The producers of Fort Baxter did not changed the recordings, so the sound on the Opening Night cd is exactly as the tape
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stayawayjoe001 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

One of the 2 tapeboxen in Indianapolis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

A first summary...

It is definitely NOT the Opening Night 69...I think we all agree here..
Also his comment "it's hard to get going these dinner shows" indicates
that he had already done a few concerts. But it also indicates that we have indeed
a dinner show.
Looking at the arrangement of Are You Lonesome Tonight we can can
say that it was an early show of this Vegas season. The arrangement
with the female singers changed in progress of that gig.
Then we have an audience recording dated 8/3/69 DS which contains a few
songs from the show in question. Songs from other shows were added to make
the concert appear complete. I assume that this guy only recorded parts of the show for
what reason ever and added the songs to have a complete concert. This happens quite often
with such tapes. However, the recording date seems correct and was once compared with
songs from the Opening Night tape. Therefore the date we have now.
Any more assumptions..?

Elvisjock ..could you send me the tape you have..?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:41 pm

I believe joan deary not changed the date, but gave the date of 31.july.69 (maybe she believed so...) in an attempt to convince RCA to release this show, perhaps as part of the EAP box. Probably, as there was insufficient evidence that the show would have been recorded in 31.7, the idea was abandoned. Maybe RCA executives were afraid of being accused of selling an item that did not correspond to reality - (opening show) or thought on Elvis In Person 69 was a good album a it's allready available.

Does anyone know the history of this tape? I wonder it never was officialy realeased... and I believe it never will happens...

This is one of the best threads ever !! Good discussion !!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Another consideration regarding this recording is that it may not be a soundboard source at all.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Hopefully there is anybody out there...who can send me a cdr of the so called 8/3/69 DS..so that I can draw conclusions..

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Another consideration regarding this recording is that it may not be a soundboard source at all.

Maybe ... because it has very good sound quality - for a soundboard - and voice of Elvis is very clear.
Could it be that the tape would have received some overdubbs?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 pm

I know a guy who has a reel to reel tape of it..no date..but it`s the show in question..

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 pm

dougkapp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Another consideration regarding this recording is that it may not be a soundboard source at all.

Maybe ... because it has very good sound quality - for a soundboard - and voice of Elvis is very clear.
Could it be that the tape would have received some overdubbs?

No, my point is that this early 1969 live recording that Joan Deary fiddled with in 1979 may have not come from the mixing desk.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 pm

The sound quality is the same, Cisco?
Maybe a copy ?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Yes..it must be a copy...

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 pm

Joan Deary dropped the idea, Instead then, "Our memories Of Elvis released.
All concert tapes from the collection of Joan Deary had Misc numbers
She has all concert tapes marked as misc 0001, 0002 etc.
Last edited by stayawayjoe001 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 pm

I think some of you guys are looking too deep into this.
The date of August 3, 1969 (DS) would not have just been plucked out of thin air; so I would hazard a guess that additional information has since come to light to identify the correct show date.
Perhaps the original unadorned tape from which the Deary/Baxter reel is a derivative of has been located - one that may well have been utilized as far back as the 1974 Having Fun With Elvis On Stage LP [see below].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z3haAGoan5Q#t=477s
(Edited and virtually dry, "Opening Night"/"Prodigy" Life Story monologue from 7:57)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I think some of you guys are looking too deep into this.
The date of August 3, 1969 (DS) would not have just been plucked out of thin air;

I just found out by accident a few months ago that most of the Dallas 75 show is in fact from Dallas..for ages we had
the last four songs being from Shreveport...so sometimes..wrong infos indeed come out of thin air..
In the Dallas case..the 4 songs were dated "shreveport" cause of an AR circulating..while doing research for the FTD I found that they were tagged onto the end of the cdr to make it appear complete....in fact they sprang from Dallas..sb comparisons
told the truth..
I think this audience recording floating around in collcetors circles could be a key in our case..

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 am

Ciscoking wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I think some of you guys are looking too deep into this.
The date of August 3, 1969 (DS) would not have just been plucked out of thin air;

I just found out by accident a few months ago that most of the Dallas 75 show is in fact from Dallas..for ages we had
the last four songs being from Shreveport...so sometimes..wrong infos indeed come out of thin air..
In the Dallas case..the 4 songs were dated "shreveport" cause of an AR circulating..while doing research for the FTD I found that they were tagged onto the end of the cdr to make it appear complete....in fact they sprang from Dallas..sb comparisons
told the truth..
I think this audience recording floating around in collcetors circles could be a key in our case..

ELVIS DALLAS SEVENTYFIVE came from the orginal tape

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:40 pm

I have now the patchwork AR show dated 8/3/69 DS..I have to check when time allows..

I heard there is paperwork about the show in question with notes to each song..from the records Deary made when she planned to release the show..anybody can help there..?

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:Joan Deary changed the date

Where did she know from it was 8/3/69 DS..?