Various versions of the New Years Eve Show 1976

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ciscoking
Registered for: 21 years

Various versions of the New Years Eve Show 1976

Post by Ciscoking »

I don`t want this topic be drowned in All Elvis so I post what I have gathered so far here
from another thread.
I am most interested whether the FTD release is complete or not and
what has probably been edited. I have a note "dialogues shortened". Which source is used there ?
Auld Lang Syne has Can`t Help Falling In Love incomplete in the middle. The rest is complete ?

Any help is most welcome.
HAWAII wrote:Strange you mention an alternate audience recording of Pitts '76,
just this week i received a tape (audio) of an excellent version of the show
in superb sound! recorded quite close to the guy who recorded the LP
version (Hermon), you can hear the guy and several other people shouting
out requests etc... with Elvis responding to them very clearly (that isn't picked
up on any other version), he sings 'Reconsider Baby' & 'Little Sister' by requests
of these fans & after 'Hound Dog' a small section of the audience sing 'Happy
Birthday to Elvis' (again not picked up on other recordings), there are quite a few
bits you hear on this recording that isn't on any other copy i've heard and i must
admit it's a VERY refreshing version of a well heard show, all in a sound that's also
VERY clear (better than LP? - maybe yes!).
It would be interesting to find out who recorded this show as it is quite close to the
familiar version - anyone have any ideas?
HAWAII wrote:How do i post sample?
There are 4 recordings i know of - The 2 that are released a 3rd
that was only available in parts (not too great sound) that came out
on audio-tape in the early 80's and now the 4th version which i have
that to my ears could be as good if not better than the released 2.
I'll post a sample if someone tells me how, or i'll mail it to someone who
can do it for me? (i can send as an MP3 file).
HAWAII wrote:version 1 LP version
version 2 Rags to Riches CD
version 3 Audio part only (Fever to end fair quality)
version 4 Audio (recorded close to fan recording LP version)
FTD released LP version from tape.
Version 4 has complete CAN'T HELP FALLING etc... But has clipped
Trying to get to you / polk salad & first part intros (clipped) but rest of
show complete.
Hope that helps Cisco.
HAWAII wrote:Hi Cisco,
The COMPLETE show would run approx 95mins.
there are differences in all versions, what i remember is that
Early Morning Rain was also cut on the LP - But complete on FTD
as was Can't Help Falling. As for dialogue this is a simple case of
playing each side by side - The new version seems to have a little
more dialogue & at one point the Orchestra almost start the New
Year theme (which i don't recall before) Elvis then goes on to say
'we still have 10mins to New Year' or something along those lines.
This kind of question needs quite a lot of work - but approx 95mins
would give the COMPLETE performance.
The most interesting stuff on the new version is you can actually hear
Elvis' responses to the audience shouts (close to the recorder) and
an almost intimate feeling to the concert when the comments we know
so well now have a reason behind them.
YDKM wrote:just from memory C.H.F.I.L. is more complete on FTD and also their is an 'edit' b4 'are you lonesome tonight' om FTD when a guy says 'Elvis -your the best in the world.'.....

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Re: Various versions of the New Years Eve Show 1976

Post by elvisjock »

The guy that we hear on Version 4 recorded other shows. I may be wrong, but I think he is the guy that (successfully) requests Moody Blue, in Charlotte.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

YDKM wrote:just from memory C.H.F.I.L. is more complete on FTD and also their is an 'edit' b4 'are you lonesome tonight' om FTD when a guy says 'Elvis -your the best in the world.'.....
Yep,..the dialogue before AYLT is shortened on the FTD.
On Auld Lang Syne it is complete.
Thanks

::rocks

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Lisa Rose
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by Lisa Rose »

Will we ever get a complete, unedited version of this show in the best possible sound quality? :shock: I would buy that. So far i only have the FTD version.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

The LP version and the FTD is what I have and they are both good plays.

Mike Eder

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by karlos »

Id love to hear a new version of this show too - Ciscoking -
happy new year Cisco King My Buddy - Lov the concert -
I too have the ftd and various cds of this show
on Dec - 31st 76 - At Pittsburgh -
Love to hear a new variation of this show too - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vince
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Vince »

Hi,

Cisco, i made an extensive review of the two major releases ("Auld Lang Syne", "Elvis New Year's Eve") on this website
:wink:

See You

Vince

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: New Pittsburgh Recording???
by Vince » Thu May 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, i was on holidays during the last two weeks, and i was unable to work on that project.

Here is the comparison between the two known Pittsburg tapes that were released on three known 2CD pressings. Please note that I’m comparing ONLY the releases, not the raw master tapes. Please also note that I used the original pressings, not downloaded datas or CDRs.
Sorry for my average English…

About the pitch/speed of each release : to me the John Herman tape seemed a bit too fast, despite both pressings (official and unofficial) have the same speed. Cjevlis confirmed that the John Herman tape has the right speed.
The « unknown taper » tape seemed to be slower, but I may be wrong. If you have any idea about that don’t hesitate to give your opinion ^_^.
A lot of fan reactions are captured on the two tapes, some are more obstructive than others, but most are not done on the played songs.

THE RELEASES

Tape A
Taper : John Herman
Unofficial release : « Auld Lang Syne » 2CD long box digipak (1997, Live Archives)
Length : around 87 minutes 35 seconds, originally taped on two T-120 compact cassettes using two decks (the result was a complete master without any cut or tape flip). Speed may be incorrect.
CD1/CD2 : cut before « Polk Salad Annie », almost no missing music but the fade out / fade in must be reversed (no identical music on the fade out / fade in parts).
Technical infos : lossless, mono.
Notas, flaws and edits : that release is taken from the « Rockin' With Elvis New Year's Eve » 2LP set. The mono version is "better" with more headroom than on the other releases. That release is a bit shorter at the end than « Elvis New Year’s Eve », editing the whole Al Dvorin, despite it is partly available on the FTD release (the whole speech was probably taped by John ?). Some vinyl noises can be heard on "Fairytale", at the end of "You Gave Me A Mountain", and on "Reconsider Baby". You can notice a small drop at the end of "Are You Lonesome Tonight ?" and one in "What'D I Say". 5 seconds are edited from "Can't Help Falling In Love". The sound transfer from the 2LP is amazing.

Tape A
Taper : John Herman
Official release : « Elvis New Year’s Eve » 2CD digipak (2003, Follow That Dream)
Length : around 86 minutes 25 seconds, originally taped on two T-120 compact cassettes using two decks (the result was a complete master without any cut or tape flip). Speed may be incorrect.
CD1/CD2 : cut after « Polk Salad Annie », no missing music (identical music on the fade out / fade in parts).
Technical infos : lossless, mono (!).
Notas, flaws and edits : the whole recording is ruined by digital errors, due to the remastering process. The original tape was edited to a "dry" mono, probably copying each channel to the other one. Then some frequencies were reduced to avoid the audience reaction and the small « hallow sound » of the venue, resulting in audible pops and crackles. That release is a bit longer at the end than « Auld Lang Syne » as the Al Dvorin speech is included (faded out) at the very end of the closing vamp. A lot of fan reactions are edited through the show (around 90 seconds) with a few Elvis words too (before « Are You Lonesome Tonight ? ». The small problems on « Auld Lang Syne » are not present on that tape (drops, edit, vinyl noises).

Tape B
Taper : name not known
Unofficial release : « Rags To Riches » 2CD digipak (2002, Crown)
Length : around 88 minutes, 05 seconds, originally taped on a 90 minutes compact cassette tape (not confirmed, tape flip at 44 minutes).
Technical infos : lossy, mono (it seemed that the original master is mono)
Notas, flaws and edits : the release is mp3 sourced (!), with mini-gaps between all the songs, but this is not due to the writing error of the two discs, as the mini-gaps are not tracked in the same place as the tracks of the Crown set. The speed is different from the Tape A. The whole recording is mastered too loud, resulting in a few digital errors. A lot of CD-R/compression errors are present during the whole concert.
More than 30 seconds are missing at the start of « Polk Salad Annie » due to a tape flip, the missing portion (with a different speed !) is taken from « Auld Lang Syne ». A few seconds of dead airs before « Polk Salad Annie » are missing, as a few seconds at the start of the concert.
This release is the only one to include the complete Al Dvorin speech at the end.

THE GIG

The running time is taken mainly from « Auld Lang Syne » (« Rags To Riches » for the complete closing vamp).

00.00 > 01.09 : (1.09) Also Sprach… [« Rags To Riches » is missing around 5 seconds at the start]
01.09 > 06.03 : (4.54) C.C. Rider [« Elvis New Year's Eve » edited 7, 3 and 5 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
06.03 > 13.53 : (7.49) I Got A Woman / Amen
13.53 > 16.47 : (2.54) Big Boss Man
16.47 > 19.20 : (2.32) Love Me
19.20 > 21.57 : (2.37) Fairytale [vinyl noises can be heard on « ALD »]
21.57 > 25.20 : (3.22) You Gave Me A Mountain [vinyl noises can be heard on « ALD »]
25.20 > 26.55 : (1.35) Jailhouse Rock
26.55 > 28.05 : (1.09) Presentation Of Liberty Bell [« ENYE » edited 6, 4 and 5 seconds – fan reactions – in the middle]
28.05 > 31.49 : (3.44) O Sole Mio / It’s Now Or Never [« ENYE » edited 4 and 3 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
31.49 > 36.31 : (4.42) My Way
36.31 > 38.19 : (1.47) Funny How Time Slips Away
38.19 > 39.33 : (1.13) Auld Lang Syne
39.33 > 40.30 : (0.56) Introductions [« ENYE » edited 3 and 7 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
40.30 > 42.08 : (1.37) Blue Suede Shoes [« ENYE » edited 3 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
42.08 > 44.13 : (2.05) Trying To Get To You
44.13 > 48.15 : (4.02) Polk Salad Annie [« ALD » is faded out / faded in before the song, almost missing nothing, « RTR » is missing 5 seconds of dead airs before the song and 33 seconds of Polk Salad Annie – due to a tape flip. The missing portion of the song is taken from « ALD »]
48.15 > 49.53 : (1.38 ) Band Introductions
49.53 > 52.16 : (2.22) Early Mornin’ Rain
52.16 > 53.03 : (0.47) What’D I Say [small drop on « ALD »]
53.03 > 53.57 : (0.53) Johnny B. Goode
53.57 > 55.26 : (1.28) Drum Solo
55.26 > 56.56 : (1.30) Bass Solo
56.56 > 58.03 : (1.07 ) Piano Solo
58.03 > 60.36 : (2.32) Love Letters
60.36 > 62.09 : (1.32) School Days [« ENYE » edited 6 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
62.09 > 65.16 : (3.07) Fever [« ENYE » edited 3 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
65.16 > 68.02 : (2.46) Hurt [« ENYE » edited 10 seconds – fan reactions – at the end]
68.02 > 70.13 : (2.10 ) Hound Dog [« ENYE » edited 5 and 25 seconds – Elvis words & fan reactions – at the end]
70.13 > 73.11 : (2.57) Are You Lonesome Tonight ? [small drop on « ALD »]
73.11 > 76.08 : (2.58) Reconsider Baby [vinyl noises can be heard on « ALD »]
76.08 > 78.37 : (2.29) Little Sister
78.37 > 82.09 : (3.31) Unchained Melody
82.09 > 84.17 : (2.07) Rags To Riches
84.17 > 85.52 : (1.34) Can’t Help Falling In Love [« ALD » has 5 seconds edited in the middle of the song]
85.52 > 88.04 : (2.12) Closing Vamp [« ALD » cuts after 1.40, « ENYE » cuts after 1.51, « RTR » is complete]

TO CONCLUDE

Best sounding tape : « Auld Lang Syne ».
It is a great mono recording, and it has no digital errors. « Elvis New Year’s Eve » would have been a great release is the mono mastering was better (I made some samples with Soundforge and the result was really nice) and if the gig was not edited.
Most complete tape : « Auld Lang Syne ».
Only a few seconds between the two CDs, during "Can't Help Falling In Love" and during the closing vamp are missing.
Best looking release : « Auld Lang Syne ».
Beautiful longbox digipak.

THE COMPLETE GIG

If you want to have the more complete version of the Pittsburg gig, you must have… the three pressings. « Auld Lang Syne » will be completed with :
- a few seconds between the two discs taken from « Elvis New Year’s Eve » (this is easier than to rework the fade out / fade in on « Auld Lang Syne »)
- 1 second taken from « Elvis New Year’s Eve » to patch the small drop on "What'D I Say"
- 1 second taken from « Elvis New Year’s Eve » to patch the small drop on "Are You Lonesome Tonight ?"
- 5 seconds taken from « Elvis New Year’s Eve » to patch "Can't Help Falling In Love"
- a few seconds at the end of the closing vamp taken from « Elvis New Year’s Eve »
- around 20 seconds at the end of the closing vamp taken from « Rags To Riches »

See You

Vince

PS : "Auld Lang Syne" IS LP sourced. Amazing transfer for sure ! Courtesy of Doc.
PS2 : more infos on the flaws of "Auld Lang Syne".
PS3 : more infos about the original Herman recordings ! Courtesy of Greybeard.
PS4 : more infos about the speed of the tapes. Courtesy of Cjelvis.

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

i may add that some fans have dubs of the complete Herman tapes.

See You

Vince

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

There's also a Tape C - the one with the guy shouting song titles (successfully) at Elvis.

Maybe I need to upload...

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Vince..this is amazing....really..!!.. ::rocks

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

yes you are right, at the time i didn't focussed on that one...
But maybe i should review it too ?

See You

Vince

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Vince, have you heard the tape of which I am speaking?

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Vince wrote:Hi,

yes you are right, at the time i didn't focussed on that one...
But maybe i should review it too ?

See You

Vince
Yes,..please..!!!!!.... :smt007

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

unfortunately no.
You can contact me by PM, if you can upload the source somewhere (for example wetransfer.com), i will go to my archives to find the 3 other sources i kept as one continious files...

Do we know who was the taper ? Same question for tape B ?

See You

Vince

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rock Legend »

I understand that a new source of that NYE show will be released soon. According to the makers, better audio than the classic bootleg... We'll see.
Last edited by Rock Legend on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Rock Legend..that is great news..you got the info from a reliable source..?

Rock Legend
Suspended for one week
Suspended for one week
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rock Legend »

Yes, this is a credible source. And I know they have contacted various collectors for interesting material for the package. Should be something to look forward to.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

TOP !!!.... ::rocks

Vince

Post by Vince »

Hi,

great news, so it seemed that someone may have had the raw source taped by John, and carefully remastered it for a 2CDs release.
It may be interesting to know if the complete John source is having the additional 20 seconds available on the "Rags To Riches" source...

See You

Vince

Sodman
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by Sodman »

Is this 4th source available anywhere?

No matter how far down the wrong road you've gone, TURN BACK!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Sodman on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm wrote:Is this 4th source available anywhere?
Maybe this release?

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/pittsburgh76.htm

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Sodman
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by Sodman »

drjohncarpenter on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 pm wrote:
Sodman on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm wrote:Is this 4th source available anywhere?
Maybe this release?

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/pittsburgh76.htm

No that is not the one! On that release you cannot hear the guy that shout out song requests to Elvis, of which Elvis then sings several (Reconsider baby is one of them).

"HAWAII wrote:
version 1 LP version
version 2 Rags to Riches CD
version 3 Audio part only (Fever to end fair quality)
version 4 Audio (recorded close to fan recording LP version)
FTD released LP version from tape.
Version 4 has complete CAN'T HELP FALLING etc... But has clipped
Trying to get to you / polk salad & first part intros (clipped) but rest of
show complete."

No matter how far down the wrong road you've gone, TURN BACK!