Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:44 am

After the two tremendous tours of April and June, Elvis was back in Las Vegas for his Summer Festival of 1972. We got many recordings from this engagement (recordings from 37 shows) , and we also got a whole bunch of 8mm footage from this season.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:45 am

August 4th 1972 - Opening Show - Audience Recording with very good sound
A very good sounded audience recording of the Opening Show. Elvis seems to be in great entertainer mood and does a strong presentation.He starts out with the usual See See Rider followed by a great version of A Big Hunk Of Love. Elvis welcomes the audience by introducing himself as "my name is up front.....". During the start of Hound Dog, Elvis makes a comment to one female in the audience, "Hang on, baby, I'll be with you later, you know that, I'm free you know...."
Elvis introduces Sammy Davis Jr. and Paul Anka during the show. Some parts of the show is missing on this recording, The Wonder Of You after Blue Suede Shoes and An American Trilogy after My Babe. The intros are missing after My Way, however they excists on a cdr called "New Directions" which I don't have. During this Las Vegas season, Elvis received the Gold Records for his Madison Square Garden album and his The Wonder Of You single (added as track 24 below).

01 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 1:10
02 OPENING RIFF 0:35
03 SEE SEE RIDER 2:21
04 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:06
05 NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN 3:34
06 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:10
07 ELVIS WELCOMES THE AUDIENCE 0:25
08 LOVE ME TENDER 2:34
09 ELVIS TALKS 0:09
10 MYSTERY TRAIN/TIGER MAN 2:20
11 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:13
12 LOVE ME 1:47
13 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:32
14 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:06
15 ONE NIGHT 1:29
16 YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME 2:09
17 HOUND DOG 2:03
18 MY WAY 3:53
19 MY BABE 2:23
20 ELVIS TALKS 0:28
21 INTRO OF SAMMY DAVIS JR. & PAUL ANKA 0:37
22 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:38
23 CLOSING RIFF 0:35
24 RIAA GOLD RECORDS PRESENTATION (AUG '72) 0:35

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 44:07

Links for Sammy Davis Jr. and Paul Anka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Davis,_Jr.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Anka
Last edited by AHM1977 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:30 pm

In fact 2 songs are missing: The Wonder Of You after Bue Suede Shoes and
American Trilogy after My Babe. The intros are missing after My Way.

Please add New Directions to your want list, my friend.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:15 pm

It's Added!! :D

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:16 pm

August 5th 1972 - Dinner Show - Audience Recording with very good sound
The day after the Opening Show, Elvis is back with a more familiar setlist with Proud Mary after See See Rider. The Wonder Of You is cut down to a very short version by Elvis and his band. He introduces Dick "Big Bell" Shawn during the show.

01 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 0:51
02 OPENING RIFF 0:29
03 SEE SEE RIDER 2:27
04 PROUD MARY 2:45
05 NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN 3:47
06 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:25
07 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:15
08 ELVIS TALKS 0:05
09 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:26
10 ELVIS TALKS 0:10
11 FEVER 3:47
12 LOVE ME 1:35
13 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:35
14 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:07
15 THE WONDER OF YOU 1:33
16 HOUND DOG 1:23
17 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:10
18 MY WAY 3:43
19 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 5:17
20 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:09
21 INTRODUCTION OF DICK "BIG BELL" SHAWN 0:36
22 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:27
23 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:46
24 CLOSING RIFF 0:26

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 53:29

Link for Dick Shawn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Shawn

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:18 pm

August 5th 1972 - Midnight Show - Audience Recording with fair sound
The recording of the Midnight show is dull and somtimes out of speed. There's also some incomplete tracks here. Before singing Love Me, Elvis does a one liner of Carry Me Back To Old Virginia. A Big Hunk Of Love gets a false start before it hits off.
The incomplete tracks is Little Sister (last part of it incl. Get Back), first part of Hound Dog. The first seconds of Introduction Of The Band is also missing.

01 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 0:51
02 OPENING RIFF 0:29
03 SEE SEE RIDER 2:27
04 PROUD MARY 2:45
05 NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN 3:47
06 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:25
07 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:15
08 ELVIS TALKS 0:05
09 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:26
10 FEVER 3:01
11 ELVIS TALKS/CARRY ME BACK TO OLD VIRGINIA (ONE LINE) 0:13
12 LOVE ME 1:34
13 LITTLE SISTER (INCOMPLETE) 1:06
14 HOUND DOG (INCOMPLETE) 0:42
15 JAILHOUSE ROCK 1:25
16 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 1:43
17 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE (FALSE START) 0:13
18 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:13
19 FOR THE GOOD TIMES 3:22
20 MY WAY 3:41
21 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 4:53
22 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND (INCOMPLETE) 0:34
23 JOHNNY B. GOODE 1:39
24 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 0:33
25 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:27
26 ELVIS TALKS 0:26
27 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:47
28 CLOSING RIFF 0:31

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 55:42

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:50 pm

There are two sources..the first one is the one you mentioned..RT is 55:27..perhpas we should add that the 2001 Theme and the Closing Vamp are not complete.

The second source runs 44:34 and it includes Little Sister/Get Back, Blue Suede Shoes and The Wonder Of You before Hound Dog. H.Dog remains incomplete...Suspicious Minds is missing.,,the intros are incomplete
and the tape ends after the intros.

Both sources combined makes the show almost complete..just 2001 Theme,Hound Dog and Closing Vamp remain incomplete.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 am

That's good news, I didn't know that there was two sources. It will be added. Coming up with two more shows later today. ::rocks

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 am

August 6th 1972 - Dinner Show - Audience Recording with good sound
In this dinner show, Elvis is in a little more funny mood than the day before. He talks more during the intro of Hound Dog (about Ed Sullivan etc.) On the recording of this show we also got a part of the warm-up act with The Sweet Inspirations.

01 MOVE ON/A GIFT OF LOVE (THE SWEET INSPIRATIONS) 4:48
02 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 1:13
03 OPENING RIFF 0:32
04 SEE SEE RIDER 2:17
05 PROUD MARY 2:41
06 NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN 3:42
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:10
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:06
09 ELVIS WELCOMES THE AUDIENCE 0:14
10 LOVE ME 1:43
11 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:03
12 TEDDY BEAR/DON'T BE CRUEL 1:54
13 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:00
14 HOUND DOG 2:24
15 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:06
16 MY WAY 3:51
17 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 5:07
18 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:10
19 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:18
20 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:34
21 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:48
22 CLOSING RIFF 0:20

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 54:12
Last edited by AHM1977 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 am

August 6th 1972 - Midnight Show - Audience Recording with good- sound
Elvis gives us a little short but straight Midnight show this night. There's no surprises in the setlist. What Now My Love gets the piano intro repeated, and Fever gets a false start. Little Sister/Get Back and Suspicious Minds is incomplete due to tape switch, Get Back is completely gone. It's clear that a C60 tape was used. The sound of this recording is a little distant, but good. On the silver disc release "Vegas Variety vol. 8" the sound is much sharper, but I still think the Cdr sound is better.

01 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 0:57
02 OPENING RIFF 0:29
03 SEE SEE RIDER 2:15
04 PROUD MARY 2:33
05 UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO 2:29
06 YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME 2:02
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:18
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:00
09 ELVIS TALKS 0:39
10 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:12
11 FEVER (incl. 1 False Start) 3:19
12 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:04
13 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 1:27
14 LITTLE SISTER (INCOMPLETE) 1:09
15 SUSPICIOUS MINDS (INCOMPLETE) 2:36
16 MY WAY 3:44
17 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:00
18 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:15
19 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:44
20 CLOSING RIFF 0:28

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 42:52
Last edited by AHM1977 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm

AHM1977 wrote:August 6th 1972 - Dinner Show - Audience Recording with good sound
In this dinner show, Elvis is in a little more funny mood than the day before. He talks more during the intro of Hound Dog (about Ed Sullivan etc.) On the recording of this show we also got a part of the warm-up act with The Sweet Inspirations.

01 MOVE ON/A GIFT OF LOVE (THE SWEET INSPIRATIONS) 4:48
02 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 1:13
03 OPENING RIFF 0:32
04 SEE SEE RIDER 2:17
05 PROUD MARY 2:41
06 NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN 3:42
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:10
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:06
09 ELVIS WELCOMES THE AUDIENCE 0:14
10 LOVE ME 1:43
11 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:03
12 TEDDY BEAR/DON'T BE CRUEL 1:54
13 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:00
14 HOUND DOG 2:24
15 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:06
16 MY WAY 3:51
17 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 5:07
18 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:10
19 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:18
20 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:34
21 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:48
22 CLOSING RIFF 0:20

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 54:12


The introductions are incomplete at the end..some dialogue is missing. The Closing Vamp is not complete either.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:40 pm

AHM1977 wrote:August 6th 1972 - Midnight Show - Audience Recording with good- sound
Elvis gives us a little short but straight Midnight show this night. There's no surprises in the setlist. What Now My Love gets the piano intro repeated, and Fever gets a false start. Little Sister and Suspicious Minds is incomplete due to tape switch. It's clear that a C60 tape was used. The sound of this recording is a little distant, but good. On the silver disc release "Vegas Variety vol. 8" the sound is much sharper, but I still think the Cdr sound is better.

01 ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA 0:57
02 OPENING RIFF 0:29
03 SEE SEE RIDER 2:15
04 PROUD MARY 2:33
05 UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO 2:29
06 YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME 2:02
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:18
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:00
09 ELVIS TALKS 0:39
10 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:12
11 FEVER (incl. 1 False Start) 3:19
12 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:04
13 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 1:27
14 LITTLE SISTER (INCOMPLETE) 1:09
15 SUSPICIOUS MINDS (INCOMPLETE) 2:36
16 MY WAY 3:44
17 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:00
18 AN AMERICAN TRILOGY 4:15
19 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:44
20 CLOSING RIFF 0:28

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 42:52


We should mention that Get Back is completely missing.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 am

August 7th 1972 - Midnight Show - Audience Recording with good- sound
For this Midnight Show, the setlist has more songs and gets a little more interesting than the Midnight Show the day before. Elvis has some fun with the audience and the start of What Now My Love before he does an excellent version of What Now My Love. Elvis does a very good show here, and it's enjoyable to listen to this show. The recording of this show has the announcement at the end of the show, but the 2001 Theme is missing.

01 OPENING RIFF 0:22
02 SEE SEE RIDER 2:21
03 PROUD MARY 2:37
04 ELVIS WELCOMES THE AUDIENCE 0:09
05 UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO 2:31
06 YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME 1:58
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:38
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:09
09 ELVIS TALKS 0:39
10 WHAT NOW MY LOVE (FS) 0:10
11 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:35
12 FEVER 2:56
13 LOVE ME 1:29
14 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:04
15 ONE NIGHT 1:31
16 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:16
17 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 1:36
18 HOUND DOG 1:18
19 STEAMROLLER BLUES 2:40
20 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 5:01
21 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:12
22 MY WAY 3:46
23 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:07
24 I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU 2:28
25 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:44
26 CLOSING RIFF 0:29
27 ANNOUNCEMENT 0:19
BONUS TRACK :
28 STEAMROLLER BLUES (ALT. MIX) 2:45

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 57:07

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm

AHM1977 wrote:August 7th 1972 - Midnight Show - Audience Recording with good- sound
For this Midnight Show, the setlist has more songs and gets a little more interesting than the Midnight Show the day before. Elvis has some fun with the audience and the start of What Now My Love before he does an excellent version of What Now My Love. Elvis does a very good show here, and it's enjoyable to listen to this show. The recording of this show has the announcement at the end of the show, but the 2001 Theme is missing.

01 OPENING RIFF 0:22
02 SEE SEE RIDER 2:21
03 PROUD MARY 2:37
04 ELVIS WELCOMES THE AUDIENCE 0:09
05 UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO 2:31
06 YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME 1:58
07 YOU'VE LOST THAT LOVIN' FEELIN' 4:38
08 POLK SALAD ANNIE 3:09
09 ELVIS TALKS 0:39
10 WHAT NOW MY LOVE (FS) 0:10
11 WHAT NOW MY LOVE 3:35
12 FEVER 2:56
13 LOVE ME 1:29
14 BLUE SUEDE SHOES 1:04
15 ONE NIGHT 1:31
16 LITTLE SISTER/GET BACK 2:16
17 HEARTBREAK HOTEL 1:36
18 HOUND DOG 1:18
19 STEAMROLLER BLUES 2:40
20 SUSPICIOUS MINDS 5:01
21 INTRODUCTION OF THE BAND 1:12
22 MY WAY 3:46
23 A BIG HUNK OF LOVE 2:07
24 I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU 2:28
25 CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE 1:44
26 CLOSING RIFF 0:29
27 ANNOUNCEMENT 0:19
BONUS TRACK :
28 STEAMROLLER BLUES (ALT. MIX) 2:45

TOTAL RUNNING TIME 57:07


Little Sister / Get Back is incomplete in the middle.

Re: ELVIS IN VEGAS 1972 (AUGUST 4TH - SEPTEMBER 4TH)

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:43 pm

AHM,..shall we continue..?