Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Why do 1970s soundboard mixes vary so much?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 am

Hi, I've listened to a few soundboard recordings over the past couple of years and only recently joined the forum. Could someone help explain why the mixes of soundboards vary so much? For example the Feb 1970 Closing Show is really clear and you hear pretty much everything but then you listen to another show and the recording is quite muddy, with maybe the drums inaudible or vice versa. What was the sound engineer doing and did the sound engineer change each night?

Many thanks

Re: Why do 1970s soundboard mixes vary so much?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 am

Sound technicians adjust for the sound in the concert hall. Unfortunately, it is not always pleasing to hear on a cassette tape. Room size, acoustics, etc. have a lot to do with the way each tape sounds. Sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not. However, the sound in the concert hall for the two shows I saw was top-notch.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:06 am

I'm no expert, but I think some of the better recordings were sourced from the board that ran the arena sound. The board that fed the stage monitors would tend to be more unbalanced.

Some of the tapes also seem to have been recorded as reference material for current and prospective musicians. That would explain why some are so piano and guitar heavy.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks for the information, guys. It's much appreciated :D