Reconsidering the extra show on Tue, September 8, 1970 3 am

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Ciscoking
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Reconsidering the extra show on Tue, September 8, 1970 3 am

Post by Ciscoking »

In many books (The Concerts Years, Day By Day, Did Elvis Sing In Your Hometown, Too, All shook Up etc)
we learn that our man gave an extra show cause of great demand in the morning time (3 am) on September 8 (Tue), just after his actual closing show on Mon, September 7. The evidence has always been that Shirley Bassey attended this extra show.
Indeed, she attended this show that we have on tape for ages now. It has always been dated September 7, CS and was considered to be wrongly dated right because of her visit.
It is a fact that Elvis gave an extra show and all was clear until recently another "extra show" surfaced.
This gave me to think. Was it THIS show everybody talked about as being held extra..? It is dated september 6, 1970 3am and has been released on Vegas Variety Vol. 5 recently.
Listening to this show all evidence of the daytime is given. Elvis mentions several times that it is "morning time" and even makes jokes about it...he also seems very active etc..well it was HIS time..
Listening to the so called 8.9.1970 3 am show there is not one single word from Elvis about this unique daytime...I mean it was a complete new experience for him to perform at such a time. And I am more then sure he would have mentioned the daytime..no..nothing. He even greets the audience with "good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen"..very strange..then he continues the show as usual..
And looking at the date..wouldn`t it not have made more sense to add such an extra show bewteen Sat (the 5th) and Sun (the 6th),...as they did it in 1972 and 1973...when everybody had weekend.. and not in between the 7th (Mon) and the 8th (Tue) when a lot of people have to work ..?
The 3 am show in the morning time of September 6th is verified by Barb D. who taped the show.
I also have an old concert listing (it is ages old and close to the time all happened) which also lists this 3 am show on Sept. 6th but NO extra show on Sept. 8th.
I know for sure that authors copy infos from others..(another thing is Mary in The Morning sung live in 1970..just a fairytale...no evidence...but at least 2 books have these infos..lol....2 shows on June 5, 1976 etc..etc..i can mention more...2 cancelled shows in Tahoe 1974 and, and,..). so don`t believe everything that is written..no matter WHO wrote it..lol..
My guess is that the show in question was held on Sun morning, September 6th, 1970 at 3 am. and there was NO extra show after the closing night on Mon, September 7th. This means S.Bassey visited this closing night along with Parker, Priscilla and Vernon..and not the fairytale show on Septe. 8th, 3 am..what do you think..?

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Billy Budd
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Reconsidering the extra show on Tue, September 8, 1970 3

Post by Billy Budd »

Cisco. Good spot. Agter.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

My feeling on the dating of shows is that any show after midnight be dated as the day before so that shows are grouped to gether and not seperated.

So for example if Elvis did 3 shows in one night.

10 pm sep. 7th

12:01 am sep. 8th

3am sep. 8th.

All should be dated as sept. 7th, because then the 8th shows willl NOT go along side a 10 pm sept 8th show if there is one.

In other words if Elvis did 3 shows all in one night, then that one night should be dated as one date, so they are grouped

as one work night for Elvis.

I think that helps make it easier.

Or as RCA did sometimes.

They numbered the shows as show-1 show-2 or show-3 and listed the date whatever the first show was.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

My target is to make out if the extra show took place earlier than September 8, 3 am or in other words BEFORE the actual CS and not AFTER it as suggested in all books.....I think the date 8.9. 3am is fiction..or just a result from taking wrong infos from others..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

noone
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by noone »

Ciscoking wrote:My target is to make out if the extra show took place earlier than September 8, 3 am or in other words BEFORE the actual CS and not AFTER it as suggested in all books.....I think the date 8.9. 3am is fiction..or just a result from taking wrong infos from others..
That was my target also that`s why I asked you on the other tread: Total number of Concerts , but I felt that I asked too much. I`m glad you thinking about that it might be right after all :)

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

noone wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:My target is to make out if the extra show took place earlier than September 8, 3 am or in other words BEFORE the actual CS and not AFTER it as suggested in all books.....I think the date 8.9. 3am is fiction..or just a result from taking wrong infos from others..
That was my target also that`s why I asked you on the other tread: Total number of Concerts , but I felt that I asked too much. I`m glad you thinking about that it might be right after all :)
You are absolutely..right. .and I am saying SORRY.....I do hope you accept it..,, :wink:
and yess..I have reconsidered the whole thing..and I came to the conlusion which I wrote above..
Interesting topic and I hope for more input from experts here..

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ciscoking wrote:My guess is that the show in question was held on Sun morning, September 6th, 1970 at 3 am. and there was NO extra show after the closing night on Mon, September 7th. This means S.Bassey visited this closing night along with Parker, Priscilla and Vernon..and not the fairytale show on Septe. 8th, 3 am..what do you think..?
Are you saying there was just 1 "extra" show?

And the shows at the end of Presley's "Summer Festival 1970" run like this?

Saturday
September 5, 1970 DS
September 5, 1970 MS
September 5, 1970 3AM (Extra show)

Sunday
September 6, 1970 DS
September 6, 1970 MS

Monday
September 7, 1970 DS
September 7, 1970 CS (Shirley Bassey attends)

This does seem to make the most sense.

Also note that Elvis had a live concert in Phoenix on Wednesday, September 9. Even Parker wouldn't think of making Elvis give 3 gigs less than 2 days before his tour opener. One hopes.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

I agree this latest theory seems to make complete sense and so the 'extra' show time of 3am on morning of 6th September also makes sense!~ :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:My guess is that the show in question was held on Sun morning, September 6th, 1970 at 3 am. and there was NO extra show after the closing night on Mon, September 7th. This means S.Bassey visited this closing night along with Parker, Priscilla and Vernon..and not the fairytale show on Septe. 8th, 3 am..what do you think..?
Are you saying there was just 1 "extra" show?

And the shows at the end of Presley's "Summer Festival 1970" run like this?

Saturday
September 5, 1970 DS
September 5, 1970 MS
September 5, 1970 3AM (Extra show)

Sunday
September 6, 1970 DS
September 6, 1970 MS

Monday
September 7, 1970 DS
September 7, 1970 MS (Shirley Bassey attends)

This does seem to make the most sense.

Also note that Elvis had a live concert in Phoenix on Wednesday, September 9. Even Parker wouldn't think of making Elvis give 3 gigs less than 2 days before his tour opener. One hopes.
That`s how I think it happened....yes. All makes sense.

September 7, 1970 MS is the closing show, of course.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Yes, and it makes sense like you said to put the extra show on a weekend and not a weekday.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Has anybody here any more useful evidence..at least we are saying that all books are wrong..lol..

I will change my records anyway.. :wink:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ciscoking wrote:That`s how I think it happened....yes. All makes sense.

September 7, 1970 MS is the closing show, of course.
Updated my post.
Ciscoking wrote:Has anybody here any more useful evidence..at least we are saying that all books are wrong..lol..

Do it.

"All the books" said the second edition of Elvis' Christmas Album came out in November 1958, and I proved 'em all wrong. It came out a year later:

Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51588

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

noone
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by noone »

Ciscoking wrote:
noone wrote:
You are absolutely..right. .and I am saying SORRY.....I do hope you accept it..,, :wink:
and yess..I have reconsidered the whole thing..and I came to the conlusion which I wrote above..
Interesting topic and I hope for more input from experts here..
Thank you Ciscokid, no problem all good :lol: ::rocks

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

ee
Last edited by Francesc on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Don`t get me wrong..I don`t laugh at the authors..I do know about the hard work behind the scene.
You are right..we can easily ammend our pages..a printed book can`t..

The "lols" just should express some humour..not taking the bugs too serious...no offensive meaning... :smt006

Vince
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Vince »

Hi,

yes Cisco, the fact that the King is making references during the show about the "morning time" situation is a very good proof.
::rocks
I can remember for example the first three japanese gigs of Depeche Mode in 1983, the only surfaced tape was for years listed as the first night. But it was very doubtful as Dave Gahan was introducing the gig by "Good evening... or good afternoon". It was just an indication that it may be the afternoon show of the second day. Finally we found the original taper this year, who confirmed that it was really the afternoon show...

Do we know if the tape available ("Vegas Variety Vol 5") is complete ?

See You

Vince

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Vince wrote:Hi,

Do we know if the tape available ("Vegas Variety Vol 5") is complete ?
I think it isn`t..if you listen closely..especially at the beginnning...around I`ve Lost You..you can make out slight cuts..I also think that I Just Can`t Help Believing is missing..IIRC..you can hear somewhere where it ought to be sung..the first note..then a cut..

Don`t give too much on Elvis saying something about the daytime..Good evening can also be a 2.30 PM show..... :lol:

But around this time in 1970 I am sure he would have said anything that proved the 3am show on September 8.....

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Has anybody here any more useful evidence..at least we are saying that all books are wrong..lol..

Do it.
Done..!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

We have this topic moved from the All Elvis section to here...
...it`s too precious to get drowned to page 5546...if you have more
input ..don`t hesitate..

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Ciscoking wrote:We have this topic moved from the All Elvis section to here...
input ..don`t hesitate..

Well done, that's the reason you opened there first because you knew that nobody would post here.

:smt005

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Francesc wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:We have this topic moved from the All Elvis section to here...
input ..don`t hesitate..

Well done, that's the reason you opened there first because you knew that nobody would post here.

:smt005
You are right,..this section is overlooked some times.. not all fans are just interested in concerts..
No problem with that on my side.. :smt006 .