Do you listen to AR`s which only exist as cdr ?

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

django5722
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Do you listen to AR`s which only exist as cdr ?

Post by django5722 »

Thanks, Cisco.
I think the most confusing period (at least in the old days of collecting) for audience CDR's is the 1969 Vegas shows. That's mostly straightened out NOW, but 10-15 years ago there were a number of mis-labelled or deceptively-labelled 1969 shows in circulation. I'd get so excited about having a new '69 show, turn the volume
up loud, get into the show, and notice Elvis' comments were similar.....then 2/3 of the way I'd hear the celebrity introductions and discover
IT WAS THE SAME SHOW I ALREADY HAD 4 TIMES, BUT WITH THE WRONG DATE ON IT.
Elvis was ON FIRE in 1969, so we were all anxious to hear new shows. There are still shows not in circulation from '69....we can dream that they'll someday turn up.

I also appreciate the work you've put into identifying the shows in circulation with wrong dates.

I should say that unlike some, I do enjoy listening to the 76-77 shows. Although things were not going well in Elvis' life, it seems as though he is enjoying himself in a lot of the shows and enjoying the love of the crowd--I would guess that that love brought him a lot of happiness when he needed it. When he belts out HURT (and my family members can attest that I often sing along with Elvis on that one) and then does an encore of it, I can FEEL the joy in the auditorium, especially in an audience recording.
I'm SO glad that people somehow got tape recorders into those shows.

::rocks

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The 1969 shows were indeed one bunch of mess. Many were wrongly or double dated and some were even created by inserting parts of different shows from this time. Many good and kowledgable people were involved to solve many of those mysteries. It took years. Now we have at least 90 percent straight. It were very exciting days with a lot of detectives being involved. To be honest..I am missin those days a bit. You meet a lot of people who know so much about this tuff...heaven thanks I am still in contact with a few of them.
About those shows from 1976 and 1977. I have heard all of them in circulation, I have heard all of my babies... and you are right, although Elvis was very sick...and he knew he was sick...he sang his heart out for his fans...there were times with sad shows where he just couldn`t do it better..but he always tried hard to give the best ..his fans adored him..and so did he.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

wecanmakethemorning
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by wecanmakethemorning »

I don't own any CD-R's but have 98% of the available concerts on audio cassette... back from the late '80s / early '90s when collecting them from a supplier on Conway, Arkansas...

Does anyone remember these tapes with the dodgy cover design and the generic white cassette?

Ahhh, the memories. And yes, for cataloguing purposes (pre-internet), I painfully listened to every recording!

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

wecanmakethemorning wrote:I don't own any CD-R's but have 98% of the available concerts on audio cassette... back from the late '80s / early '90s when collecting them from a supplier on Conway, Arkansas...

Does anyone remember these tapes with the dodgy cover design and the generic white cassette?

Ahhh, the memories. And yes, for cataloguing purposes (pre-internet), I painfully listened to every recording!

Sure..I had some of these tapes, too....man those days..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !