Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

New label BSM announces Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Wonderful news....one of the best shows I know with very appealing setlist..keep it coming..hopefully the sound is fine..

Re: New label BSM announces Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

To be released March 11, 2011: The brandnew BSM Label brings you an audience recording of Elvis Presley´s show in Norfolk, Virginia of July 20, 1975 - 2:30PM (Matinee Performance). The cd has a running time of 79:50 min! The summer tour of 1975, with the exception of the final five city tour of 1976, can easily be considered the last great stand Elvis made. He was healthier, happier, and less distracted by his personal life on stage than he had been in 1973 and 1974. Back was an Elvis filled with happiness to be touring. He was having a very good time with slightly different setlists, his good ole´ TCB band, and the audience. He also pulled out many rare songs, even songs he had never performed live before, and mixed up his set list quite a bit on this summer tour. He was singing with power and inspiration.

Especially in this Norfolk matinee performance he did an extremely powerful version of 'How Great Thou Art' and a rare "Promised Land". So have fun and enjoy the first release by BSM! Every copy of this cd comes with an 20 page booklet full of information regarding the show PLUS an extra poster containing the photo from the front cover of the cd booklet!

Tracklisting:
01. Also Sprach Zarathustra 02. See See Rider 03. I Got A Woman / Amen 04. Big Boss Man 05. Love Me (with false start) 06. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 07. Love Me Tender 08. All Shook Up 09. Teddy Bear / Dont Be Cruel / 10. Hound Dog 11. The Wonder Of You 12. Polk Salad Annie 13. Band Introductions 14. Johnny B Goode (James Burton) 15. Suzie Q (James Burton) 16. Drum Solo (Ronnie Tutt) 17. Bass Solo (Jerry Scheff ) 18. Piano Solo (Glen D. Hardin) 19. School Day 20. T-R-O-U-B-L-E 21. Why Me Lord ? 22. How Great Thou Art (with reprise) 23. Let Me Be There 24. Funny How Time Slips Away 25. Little Darlin' 26. Mystery Train / Tiger Man 27. Promised Land 28. Can't Help Falling In Love 29. Closing Vamp

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:14 pm

Thank you, Rob.. :oops:

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:16 pm

My pleasure.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Rob..you are an expert..I think the show is outstanding..what do you think..?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I had the show 30 years ago on a cassette tape. The sound was not good. The July 1975 shows were among the best of the year with the exception of the disparaging remarks about Kathy.

I very much look forward to this release.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Yep..you`ve nailed it.... :smt006

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't get the meaning of the title. What does it mean?
Could someone be so kind to explain it to me?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Here you go, my man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Scope

Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Thank you, pal. It seems as they've liked the idea of the next upcoming release of the Touchdown label called "At Cazzie's House". The title seems to be a reference to the legendary player Cazzie Russell which caused the people to call the Crisler Arena "the house that Cazzie built".

Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 am

Cool another Concert gonna be released im getting behind here alittle as i still haven't picked up the last SA release of Providence 77 and TOUCHDOWN the twelth of but ive listen to them and i know i will get around to getting them. The norfolk Concerts which i have aren't the best sound so lets hope this release has a better sound, but agree with u Cisco any July 75 Concert is welcome in my collection anytime.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Rob wrote:The summer tour of 1975, with the exception of the final five city tour of 1976, can easily be considered the last great stand Elvis made. He was healthier, happier, and less distracted by his personal life on stage than he had been in 1973 and 1974. Back was an Elvis filled with happiness to be touring. He was having a very good time with slightly different setlists, his good ole´ TCB band, and the audience. He also pulled out many rare songs, even songs he had never performed live before, and mixed up his set list quite a bit on this summer tour. He was singing with power and inspiration.

That looks like something my friend Rick wrote for another board and Francesc's site.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/reviews/rev750719.htm

Bootleggers, please send him a free copy!

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Rob don`t you dare..... :smt018

:wink:

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Joern wrote:I don't get the meaning of the title. What does it mean?
Could someone be so kind to explain it to me?

Rob wrote:Here you go, my man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Scope

And the subtitle? I don't really get that one. "Elvis Sells Out"? I guess it's supposed to mean that Elvis had sold out the Scope, but when I saw it, I immediately thought of the other meaning:

"Selling out" refers to the perception that someone is compromising their integrity, morality, or principles in exchange for money or "success" (however defined).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sell_out

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:35 am

Ciscoking wrote:Wonderful news....one of the best shows I know with very appealing setlist ...

Hearing "Susie-Q" in context will be a treat.

The rendition was apparently a one-off reference to rocker Suzie Quatro, who was at the performance, and a person of interest for Elvis at the time.

Stories abound that James was always trying to get Elvis to sing "Susie-Q," laying into it whenever an opportunity arose during band rehearsals. The lead guitarist was just 17, and you know what I mean, when he taped that seminal, swampy lead guitar lick onto the original recording.

Dale Hawkins, "Susie-Q" (Checker 863, May 1957)

Billboard - May 6, 1957
Note: The single was reviewed as a "New R&B Record"!

phpBB [video]

Dale Hawkins, "Susie-Q" (Checker 863, May 1957)
Recorded: KWKH Radio, Shreveport, Louisiana
Lead guitar: James Burton

What a splendid rock 'n' roll track. Even though Creedence Clearwater Revival released a dynamite single of "Susie-Q" in 1968, it would have made for a nice Elvis cover.

Sadly, Dale Hawkins passed away about a year ago, at the age of 73.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks, John...is the correct spelling Susie or Suzie..?

Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 am

Ciscoking wrote:Thanks, John...is the correct spelling Susie or Suzie..?

"Susie-Q" appears on the original label and review, that's enough for me.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

New label BSM announces Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 am

Did not know John Fogerty didn't write "Suzie Q." I thought it was one of his songs. Learn something new everyday.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:54 am

I haven't listened to it yet, as I'm far behind on all these bootlegs that keep coming in these last couple of days and weeks, but the cd has a VERY nice full color live concert poster with it that is GREAT (good enough to frame actually if Elvis '75 with chest-hear doesn't give you a heart attack :lol: ) and the booklet is actually very nice as well, 20 pages, nice pics and newspaper reviews/anouncements, advertisements, candid shots, extra articles, sold-out banners and original ticket stub.. I'm reading from the booklet now...

I can't imagine anyone being critical about the packaging, certainly when one doesn't even have this release in their possession. Even if the sound turns out to be shite, it's all there is AR-wise and I'll welcome every July '75 tour show. And I like the cover design as well (same front cover picture as poster but cropped).

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 am

fg76 wrote:Did not know John Fogerty didn't write "Suzie Q." I thought it was one of his songs. Learn something new everyday.

Happy to help!

Rob wrote:I had the show 30 years ago on a cassette tape. The sound was not good. The July 1975 shows were among the best of the year with the exception of the disparaging remarks about Kathy.

And those made to the Sweet Inspirations, and what happened after that...

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 am

Ciscoking, I mis-answered your original query.

Dale Hawkins released the song as "Susie-Q" -- exactly as in the original label and review I posted.

Sorry for the screw-up!

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 am

No problem, John..this is what I meant....thanks for the info..

I just listenend to the show thoroughly again...btw..great show..if only the sound was better....

Wed May 04, 2011 9:32 am

Just received this cd, and the sound is slightly improved, but still is not a "Wow". Not impressed by the cover either. :(

Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 pm

You are right sbout the sound..but I`d say ..better than nothing at all...remember...there are no SB`s in the hands of FTD..

Wed May 04, 2011 6:14 pm

It's a great tour musically. It's kind of like the Vegas 1974 summer shows there is great stuff being done if one can look past the talking.