Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

The Kings of audience recordings strike again

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Straight Arrow is back..this time we get December 8, 1976 9 PM show.
We had it ages back on Tornado From Vegas. With the modern SA treatment surely another great release....."A Private Audience With The King"...16-page booklet included....on the old release the intros were incomplete....this time complete from start to finish..

Disc 1:
01. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - 02. C. C. Rider - 03. I Got A Woman / Amen - 04. Monologue - 05. Love Me - 06. If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (with false start) - 07. You Gave Me A Mountain - 08. Jailhouse Rock - 09. O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen) / It's Now Or Never
10. Blue Christmas - 11. That's All Right, Mama - 12. Are You Lonesome Tonight - 13. Softly As I Leave You (with Sherrill Nielsen) - 14. Blue Suede Shoes - 15. Heartbreak Hotel - 16. Bridge Over Troubled Water (with 2 false starts).

Disc 2:
01. Introductions by Elvis of Singers, Musicians - 02. Early Mornin' Rain (John Wilkinson) - 03. What'd I Say (James Burton) - 04. Drum Solo (Ronnie Tutt) - 05. Bass Solo (Jerry Scheff) - 06. Piano Solo (Tony Brown) - 07. Electric Piano & Clavinet Solo (David Briggs) - 08. Love Letters
09. School Day - 10. School Day (reprise) - 11. Introductions by Elvis of Celebrities - 12. Hurt (with reprise) - 13. Mystery Train / Tiger Man - 14. How Great Thou Art - 15. Can't Help Falling In Love - 16. Closing Vamp.

Approximate running time: 84 minutes.

Source: e-mail.

Re: The Kings of audience recordings strike again

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Yay.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 am

Beautiful artwork, it seems!

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:39 am

I want this one and i want the next one lol. Straight arrow becoming a fav label of mine, yes even thou have this concert already its just nice to replace old cdrs for a new release.

Keep up the great work SA

Xmas

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 am

I'm surprised that S.A. chose this show... Though the show is O.K.,the sound is far from good and there aren't any rarely performed songs on it. It's just one of those pleasant but flat and muffled sounding 1976 Vegas shows (recorded by the same woman). And it's a slight let-down to pay 50% more for that extra 4 minutes. At least some bonus material would have been welcome.
However,given that i only have this show in mp3 form,i will buy this release anyway,just to have it on CD. The cover looks nice (retro style from the 90's?),the booklet will be great as always but overall i'm not too impressed with the fact they chose this show.
What happened to the booth-series?

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 am

Gabriel wrote:I'm surprised that S.A. chose this show... Though the show is O.K.,the sound is far from good and there aren't any rarely performed songs on it. It's just one of those pleasant but flat and muffled sounding 1976 Vegas shows (recorded by the same woman). And it's a slight let-down to pay 50% more for that extra 4 minutes. At least some bonus material would have been welcome.

Complaining?

How unusual.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:13 pm

Rob wrote:Complaining?
How unusual.

Well,as i said,i will buy it anyway.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:11 pm

It is definitely a good show with an appealing setlist..one can argue that he has the original and that he is pleased with it although most parts of the intros are missing and the sound is inferior...that is o,.k....but all others should look out for it ..it`s worthwhile ... :smt006

::rocks

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

They managed to de-hiss the sound, but somehow it sounds more or less a little flat and lifeless. The sound is okay, but not very impressive.

Also the design looks stylish I'm a little disappointed. For my taste most of the pictures are to small. A few of the bigger ones suffer from low resolution.
Other than SA stated are not all pictures from December 8. At least the pictures on page 7 and the picture for the alternate cover are from October 25, 1976 in Fort Wayne. Also I'm pretty sure that the last picture in the booklet is from the October tour and not from Vegas. All in all that's a little surprising as there are lots of pictures in very good quality from Elvis last Vegas engagement.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Rob wrote:Yay.

Im with Rob on this one Yay recorded on my 12th birthday ,so its amust have for Ken

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:31 am

Ive got this and All in a blaze and Heart of Georgia in the last couple of weeks and as i wasnt able to get orignal bootlegs im well happy with these. I have to admit im not a big fan of the Vegas years even when Elvis just came back from the movie contracts, But i won't stop picking up these great releases, but hoping This labels start bringing out on the road concerts. The sound to me is fine compare to some of these vegas concerts i have. Roll on next release from Vegas ie Dec 13th Midnight show.

Regards

Chris

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:39 am

Joern wrote:The sound is okay, but not very impressive.

It made the list.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:47 am

A famous list and a good one,..compiled by someone "who knows".. :smt006

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:12 am

You're too kind.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Rob wrote:It made the list.

Well that's fair enough. How could I argue with the "Obi Wan" of audience recordings? :D