Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

The concert years - still any mysteries ?

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:51 pm

I was just wondering with all the shows and tapes that surfaced the past years..are there
any mysteries left..?

We now have both infamous "over-medicated" College Park shows from September 1974 ..we have gotten the infamous Detroit 1974 show which reportedly only lasted for 20 minutes...in fact it was a complete show as usual and Elvis not so medicated as reported..we finally got Houston 1976...reportedly the worse show ever..we have shows with rarities like Tuscon 76 where he did Danny Boy..in fact many shows with rarities we nowadays have ..many in good sound..many wrongly dated shows could be amended over the years...many gaps have been filled...what is left..? Three mysteries come to my mind..first is the real date of the so-called "opening night 1969" tape and the Norfolk July 20, 1975 ES with the incident with the Sweets being insulted by Elvis..no audio has surfaced until yet..or we cannot hear anything cause it happened off-mike..there are rumours about Elvis singing I Really Don`t Want To Know on June 20, 1972 in Tulsa....other rumours are that audiences were paid for cheering in the show..that Elvis threw juwelry in the audience etc..what do you think..?

Re: The concert years - still any mysteries ?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 am

There are plenty of dates without tracklisting (specially in Vegas / Tahoe) so I bet there are a lot of surprises in the concert years. The question is if we will ever hear it. Some we will, some may be lost forever.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:18 am

TBH Cisco im not sure anymore. i want the springfield and sioux falls 77 so we have a complete year. Ok probably not on the top of anybody but 2 ppls list but that's me , Opening show 69 i think it's the date 3rd if it was the 31st i think we would of known by now. the hardest part of Elvis concerts years is losing Bruce Jackson last year really has'nt helped us finding anymore gems. im not sure wat FTD have left in concerts other than SB that we already have. Tulsa and Cleveland Sold Out were awesome and maybe they do have some more. Backdraft are gonna release a SB from 70 vegas that we haven't got and what have SA or Tounchdown got left. maybe their is loads more. I do hope so cause i enjoy getting concerts. yea i know its same songs, true but Elvis isn't the same everyday. What have backdraft got left cause Pittsburgh was awesome, shame Birmingham and Atlanta can't be cleaned up. Also who has got Wichita Falls and Atlanta recording love to have those 2 gems to hear Unchained Melody for the first time, and Such a night properly.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 am

xmascarrol wrote:TBH Cisco im not sure anymore. i want the springfield and sioux falls 77 so we have a complete year. Ok probably not on the top of anybody but 2 ppls list but that's me , Opening show 69 i think it's the date 3rd if it was the 31st i think we would of known by now. the hardest part of Elvis concerts years is losing Bruce Jackson last year really has'nt helped us finding anymore gems. im not sure wat FTD have left in concerts other than SB that we already have. Tulsa and Cleveland Sold Out were awesome and maybe they do have some more. Backdraft are gonna release a SB from 70 vegas that we haven't got and what have SA or Tounchdown got left. maybe their is loads more. I do hope so cause i enjoy getting concerts. yea i know its same songs, true but Elvis isn't the same everyday. What have backdraft got left cause Pittsburgh was awesome, shame Birmingham and Atlanta can't be cleaned up. Also who has got Wichita Falls and Atlanta recording love to have those 2 gems to hear Unchained Melody for the first time, and Such a night properly.

Venus? I think you mean backdraft

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:29 am

Speaking of the late Bruce Jackson does anyone know if anybody from RCA approached his estate for any tapes that he had in his possession?

Burning Love

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 am

I bet the January/February 1971 Vegas season and July/August 1971 Lake Tahoe season have lots of surprises that we know nothing about.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:47 am

Personally I would say that any concert we still have nothing from is a mystery and holds promise for something out of the ordinary. How many shows do we have tapes for on either audience recording or sb...rather, how many do we not have on either? Last I heard we have on tape about 600-700 concerts. That would leave several hundred more we have no audio source for. I know this statement is kinda broad in scope...but true.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:52 am

Ciscoking wrote:I was just wondering with all the shows and tapes that surfaced the past years..are there
any mysteries left..?

We now have both infamous "over-medicated" College Park shows from September 1974 ..we have gotten the infamous Detroit 1974 show which reportedly only lasted for 20 minutes...in fact it was a complete show as usual and Elvis not so medicated as reported..we finally got Houston 1976...reportedly the worse show ever..we have shows with rarities like Tuscon 76 where he did Danny Boy..in fact many shows with rarities we nowadays have ..many in good sound..many wrongly dated shows could be amended over the years...many gaps have been filled...what is left..? Three mysteries come to my mind..first is the real date of the so-called "opening night 1969" tape and the Norfolk July 20, 1975 ES with the incident with the Sweets being insulted by Elvis..no audio has surfaced until yet..or we cannot hear anything cause it happened off-mike..there are rumours about Elvis singing I Really Don`t Want To Know on June 20, 1972 in Tulsa....other rumours are that audiences were paid for cheering in the show..that Elvis threw juwelry in the audience etc..what do you think..?

I agree with this statement.
now apart from wanting to hear missing dates such as Springfield and Sioux Falls, June 77' i cannot think of anything else.... :lol:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:43 am

xmascarrol wrote:TBH Cisco im not sure anymore. i want the springfield and sioux falls 77 so we have a complete year. Ok probably not on the top of anybody but 2 ppls list but that's me , Opening show 69 i think it's the date 3rd if it was the 31st i think we would of known by now. the hardest part of Elvis concerts years is losing Bruce Jackson last year really has'nt helped us finding anymore gems. im not sure wat FTD have left in concerts other than SB that we already have. Tulsa and Cleveland Sold Out were awesome and maybe they do have some more. Backdraft are gonna release a SB from 70 vegas that we haven't got and what have SA or Tounchdown got left. maybe their is loads more. I do hope so cause i enjoy getting concerts. yea i know its same songs, true but Elvis isn't the same everyday. What have backdraft got left cause Pittsburgh was awesome, shame Birmingham and Atlanta can't be cleaned up. Also who has got Wichita Falls and Atlanta recording love to have those 2 gems to hear Unchained Melody for the first time, and Such a night properly.

This would be a dream come true.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 am

it seems that 1971 is a mysterious year, in general. not a lot of footage only a handful of recordings and Elvis' personality changed big time by the time he got to The wonderful world of Christmas..

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 am

Tim C wrote:Personally I would say that any concert we still have nothing from is a mystery and holds promise for something out of the ordinary. How many shows do we have tapes for on either audience recording or sb...rather, how many do we not have on either? Last I heard we have on tape about 600-700 concerts. That would leave several hundred more we have no audio source for. I know this statement is kinda broad in scope...but true.

Yep,..we have about 50 %..saying my collection includes all what is available now and floating around..
Elvis gave 1126 concerts and I have 681.

But I was also talking about incidents and rumours you have heard from which you would like to have the audio proof.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This would be a dream come true.

Doc glad to see we are on the same page lol.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Ciscoking wrote:there are rumours about Elvis singing I Really Don`t Want To Know on June 20, 1972 in Tulsa....

There is a guy here in this forum, who claims to have an audience recording with this song in the Tulsa 1972 concert. Since Elvis is known to have rehearsed the song in June '72 it is quite possible.

But he never made it public because some doubted him and he didn't want to share anymore. :facep:

I think that's what happened at the time. Anyone recall this?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Renan wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:there are rumours about Elvis singing I Really Don`t Want To Know on June 20, 1972 in Tulsa....

There is a guy here in this forum, who claims to have an audience recording with this song in the Tulsa 1972 concert.

Oh..and I have the real opening night from 1969..when we are at..."claiming"....but of course I don`t share it.. :wink:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Renan wrote:

There is a guy here in this forum, who claims to have an audience recording with this song in the Tulsa 1972 concert.

Oh..and I have the real opening night from 1969..when we are at..."claiming"....but of course I don`t share it.. :wink:

Is "That's All Right" a real good version?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Renan wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Renan wrote:

I will post a sample when I get one from Tulsa.. :wink:

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Renan wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
Renan wrote:

I will post a sample when I get one from Tulsa.. :wink:

:smt003

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:35 pm

1970 Houston Astrodome, Miami ?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:28 pm

I recal a conversation on this forum ideed, a few years back. There was a guy who said he had a recording from this show.but when people want proof and asked for a sample he kept quiet. As I remember, that was also the last time he ever posted on this forum.
when you say a, you must say b. That's what we say here in holland.
unless we have proof of this recording, it remains only speculation.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:36 pm

I think its entirely possible Elvis sang "I Really Don't Want To Know" in Tulsa because he rehearsed it for the June 1972 tour. If he did i wonder if it was the complete version or the shortened version he did in 1977.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm

jekhb76 wrote:I recal a conversation on this forum ideed, a few years back. There was a guy who said he had a recording from this show.but when people want proof and asked for a sample he kept quiet. As I remember, that was also the last time he ever posted on this forum.
when you say a, you must say b. That's what we say here in holland.
unless we have proof of this recording, it remains only speculation.

I am now collecting concerts over 10 years now and believe me..I have learnt a lot ..also I have drawn my lessons..there were guys promising you heaven on earth..you know what they had..?..nothing...
when it comes to a showdown..there is silence..nowadays I only trust reliable sources..e.g.I got word that the 1970 SBs do exits..I haven`t heard them yet..but they will come..I don`t give a sh..t on what someone claims to have... unless I get the audio proof within a week..

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

DEH wrote:I think its entirely possible Elvis sang "I Really Don't Want To Know" in Tulsa because he rehearsed it for the June 1972 tour. If he did i wonder if it was the complete version or the shortened version he did in 1977.

for all we know it could have been just an excerpt

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 pm

DEH wrote:I think its entirely possible Elvis sang "I Really Don't Want To Know" in Tulsa because he rehearsed it for the June 1972 tour. If he did i wonder if it was the complete version or the shortened version he did in 1977.

He also rehearsed Fool and It' s A MatterOf Time..perhaps he did it in Tulsa, too..it`s all speculation.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:43 pm

This is supposedly the setlist for the Tulsa Show....

That's All Right
I Got A Woman/Amen
Love Me Tender
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie
Love Me
All Shook Up
Heartbreak Hotel
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
One Night
Blue Suede Shoes
How Great Thou Art
Little Sister/Get Back
I Really Don't Want To Know
Hound Dog
Suspicious Minds
-Intros -
For The Good Times
American Trilogy
A Big Hunk O'Love
Funny How Times Slip Away
Can't Help Falling In Love

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Even the rehearsal is nothing more than speculation. There's no audio proof from that rehearsal as well, only a list.
Just like cisco said,unless we got audio proof, there is nothing.