Live Song Rarities

(Closed, Archive only)Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes. (Closed, Archive only)

Moderators: Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: Live Song Rarities

Post by billyblues »

Ciscoking wrote:The next one is I, John..from Lake Tahoe..he also sang it the day before our version here.. a few times as a one liner and during the shooting of Elvis On Tour.

I, John (Lake Tahoe, August 1, 1971 MS)
For some reason I always loved when he did it in a medley with Polk Salad Annie! :mrgreen:

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

James27
Registered for: 21 years

Post by James27 »

Ciscoking wrote:Agreed,.. soundboard from Uniondale, Norfolk or Asheville 75 would be something for me.. :wink:
Indeed!

Any idea as to why no soundboards are in circulation from this superb '75 tour, while the previous one in May/June has been covered to death ?
I find this very strange and sad in a way.

"I, John" rocks ! I never heard that live version before. :smt007

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

billyblues wrote: For some reason I always loved when he did it in a medley with Polk Salad Annie! :mrgreen:
Good one..you mean the medley with the one liner of PSA and the 4 minutes I, John..right..?.. :lol:

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Next..is another famous one..Oh, Happy Day..he must have it in mind from the TTWII rearsals..

Oh, Happy Day (Las Vegas, August 14, 1970 MS)

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Next is Suzie Q as being sung in Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS.

I`d rather hear the ES in good sound anyway.... :lol:

Suzie Q (Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS)

xmascarrol
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by xmascarrol »

Cisco

Great live song You'll never walk alone , right up there with Where no-one stands alone. Why didnt Elvis realise those rare songs are gold to us fans. Shame we can't hear Elvis sing Leave my woman alone or something like that from San Diego 76 even if its only a few lines its different.

regards

xmas

he maybe gone but never forgotten.

James27

Post by James27 »

I think You'll Never Walk Alone live in '75 is one of the most amazing performances by Elvis EVER. Period. 8)

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

fg76

Post by fg76 »

I remember Jordan having a live rehearsal of "Any Day Now" from Feb 1970. A shame he never actually did it on an actual show.

I liked the April 30, 1977 version of "Rip It Up" where the band actually plays the rift of "Rip It Up" before Elvis laughs about how cute it was.

Not actually rare rare, but I always liked "I Just Can't Help Believin" from December 2, 1976.

Or his one-line of "Detriot City" from September/November 1970.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

fg76 wrote:
Not actually rare rare, but I always liked "I Just Can't Help Believin" from December 2, 1976.

Or his one-line of "Detriot City" from September/November 1970.
I can bring these two, too..we have them now here ..so I won`t forget.. :smt006

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Pieces Of My Life...again we are in Asheville....fantastic..the only known live version..

Pieces Of My Life (Asheville, July 24, 1975 ES)

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Back in Vegas we are....It`s A Matter Of Time..one live version..

It`s A Matter Of Time (Las Vegas, August 25, 1973 DS)

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Renan »

fg76 wrote:I remember Jordan having a live rehearsal of "Any Day Now" from Feb 1970. A shame he never actually did it on an actual show.
I remember this one too. But I would not be surprised if an audience recording in the future with a live version of Any Day Now surface.

That's just a guess. Many January and February concerts in Vegas still remains a mystery for what was the tracklisting.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Vegas again..August 14, 1970 MS..Hello... I`m Johnny Cash

Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (Las Vegas, August 14, 1970 MS)

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Again Vegas...Trouble/Raised On Rock

Trouble / Raised On Rock (Las Vegas, August 6, 1973 OS)

James27

Post by James27 »

Too bad he didn't do that medley for a much longer time, I know I'm probably in the minority here but I actually quite like the song "Raised On Rock". It's not brilliant or a classic but it is unpretentious and fun, and at least something different for a change.
Ciscoking wrote:Again Vegas...Trouble/Raised On Rock

Trouble / Raised On Rock (Las Vegas, August 6, 1973 OS)

moffringa
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by moffringa »

Ciscoking wrote:Next is Suzie Q as being sung in Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS.

I`d rather hear the ES in good sound anyway.... :lol:

Suzie Q (Norfolk, July 20, 1975 AS)

Thank you so much for your generousity! :D

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

You`re welcome, buddy..

Again we are in Asheville...man it must have been fantastic to be part of the crowd..at any time there..

Shake A Hand (Asheville, July 22, 1975 ES)

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

James27

Post by James27 »

Cool...

"The normal tempo of this song is like this.." Elvis says before this considerably slowed down version. Could he possibly be referring to his mysterious Sun recording ?
Or to his '68 sit-down version ? What is he referring to ? It must be either one of those or a rehearsal version between '69-'73 that nobody has ever heard ?
Ciscoking wrote:And back in Vegas we are..

Tiger Man (slow) (Las Vegas, August 11, 1973 MS)
edit: I have been informed that Elvis could have been talking about the original '50s Thomas or Louis version(s) as well..

Still, the mystery remains..
Last edited by James27 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Ciscoking wrote:You`re welcome, buddy..

Again we are in Asheville...man it must have been fantastic to be part of the crowd..at any time there..

Shake A Hand (Asheville, July 22, 1975 ES)
We share our love for the July 1975 tour...Fantastic tour indeed ! Where are those soundboards ??

James27

Post by James27 »

Suppose one would own one or some of these, what would the best way to value some of them? Certainly not here, it would be to much of a hassle, people bothering them, and he/she then would have to contact a mega collector/expert I reckon. A contact address would be needed, letters and e-mails exchanged, phone calls made, trips undertaken.. Sony/FTD won't honestly tell a potential seller what the tapes are worth, they're not going to pay one frickin' penny more for them than they have to. They will not let anybody see the cards they're holding, to know the true market value of something.

Approaching a specialized laywer also wouldn't make any sense, it would be not only a very costly affair, but I doubt any laywer has ANY idea as to the worth of Elvis' July soundboards. Well, perhaps some in the USA do, but not in every country.

Facing all these obstacles, I wouldn't be surprised if many collectors who own valuable treasures just don't want to bother with all that jazz and just sit on whatever the hell they got. Certainly those who already are well-off. So they remain there, gathering dust, to eventually deteriorate. Perhaps if someone ever gets in a desperate situation financially, they would try to sell some of their stuff, but that could be in 2019 or in 2049. :cry:

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Good Time Charlie

Post by Good Time Charlie »

Renan wrote:
fg76 wrote:I remember Jordan having a live rehearsal of "Any Day Now" from Feb 1970. A shame he never actually did it on an actual show.
I remember this one too. But I would not be surprised if an audience recording in the future with a live version of Any Day Now surface.

That's just a guess. Many January and February concerts in Vegas still remains a mystery for what was the tracklisting.
Well in 1969 it's said he performed "You'll Think of Me" at least once. Others that are pretty certain are "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" with Elvis on Piano aswell. Would be ultra-cool to hear those! I just wished RCA has carried on recording until the Closing Show because I'm certain the Final Show would have brought up more surprises.

"You go to school, I'm going out to make a buck"

James27

Post by James27 »

A great deal of opening and closing shows were recorded of Elvis during '69-'77, as I have pointed out with both of my topics/polls about them:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56688&hilit=opening

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56691&hilit=closing+show

It would be fantastic if a soundboard of Elvis' closing show from '69 would one day come to the surface, I bet it would have been a great night and setlist.
Good Time Charlie wrote:
Renan wrote:

Well in 1969 it's said he performed "You'll Think of Me" at least once. Others that are pretty certain are "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" with Elvis on Piano aswell. Would be ultra-cool to hear those! I just wished RCA has carried on recording until the Closing Show because I'm certain the Final Show would have brought up more surprises.

Topic author
Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »