Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Which audience recording would you like to hear next ?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 am

.. either released for the first time on a silver disc or re-released on a silver disc with superior sound/packaging, by the likes of Straight Arrow, Rainbow Records...

Currently my vote goes to the show on "A New Live Experience" containing the Long Beach Arena 15-11-72 show. It's not that long before Aloha and I think this important "preparation period" deserves documenting in a quality way. Splendid sound and great show and setlist! If they could improve this, I'd be all over it.

This original cd release is already 20+ years old (blue/black/white covers), can you believe it ? It says producers: DB, TJ, JAK. (?), made in Italy. Time for a revamp for the fans, old and new.

It was apparently re-released in '93, once again as "A New Live Experience" but with a different (better) cover this time, and again in the same year by the Tiger label as "Return to Long Beach" (thx to Ciscoking's Corner). I only have the original one, though. It does have that annoying sound before and during "Love Me" though, what is it, sounds like a camera or tape noise or something.. Was that fixed in '93 ? A lot of improvement has been made in the audio field, and 17-20 years ago is a long time indeed... so I'm hoping for the definitive release in the coming decade..

Tracklisting

Announcer - Introductions
2001 Theme
See See Rider
I Got A Woman
Until It's Time For You To Go
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
Polk Salad Annie
Love Me
All Shook Up
Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
The Wonder Of You
Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Little Sister - Get Back
Hound Dog
I'll Remember You
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
Burning Love
Fever
You Gave Me A Mountain
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing riff
Announcer - Fans Comments

They could also release it as part of a double digipack (with richly illustrated booklet!) with the added Long Beach 14-11-72 show, previously released in 1991 by -again- the Tiger labe as "Long Beach, California 1972", although the sound quality is surely not as good as the next day's show and I think they would need to correct the speed also:

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
I Got A Woman - Amen - I Got A Woman
Until It's Time For You To Go
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
Polk Salad Annie
Love Me
All Shook Up
Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
One Night
Teddy Bear - Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
Little Sister - Get Back
How Great Thou Art
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
Burning Love
Funny How Time Slips Away
You Gave Me A Mountain
Fever
A Big Hunk O' Love
Can't Help Falling In Love
- segued with -
Closing Vamp

Perhaps using a superior tape source for one or both shows ?

What's your favorite? Remember: your wish might just come true !!!

Re: Which audience recording would you like to hear next ?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 am

Wichita -- December 27, 1976.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:42 am

HIs first appearance at the Overton Park shell in the Summer of 1954.
I would prefer a soundboard, but an audience recording will suffice.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 am

Of tapes we know exist, I'd love a high quality recording from:

Tour: Mar-Apr 57
Tour: Aug-Sep 57
Tour: Oct-Nov 57
Memphis: Feb 61
Astrodome: Feb-Mar 70
Tour: Sep 70
Tour: Nov 70
Tahoe: Jul 71
Vegas: Aug 71
Tour: Nov 71
Tour: Jun 72
Tour: Nov 72

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:16 am

Good list Doc. I think I would add St. Louis 73 and the first 1969 show.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 am

I would like to see, released by Straight Arrow, Rainbow Records or Graceland Records (if this last one is still in business), 2 excellent Rick Rennie's audience recordings, both in the great sound:

1. Las Vegas, August 21 1970 (M.S) released in 2001. on Audionics as " You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' "

I got 2 original copies and on one the bonus songs are skipping heavily (manufactures mistake) and the other copy is not readable by any cd player (manufactures fault too!)
It is pretty hard to find these days.

2. Las Vegas, August 21 1970 (D.S) released in 1998. by Rock Legends as cd 1 on "From Macon To Vegas"

I missed this cd when it was originally released (I have it on cd-r), but now this double cd is really hard to find and expensive. Also, I don't really like the second cd with the incomplete and uninspired show from Macon, April 24 1975 in the not so good soundboard quality.

Since the both concerts are from August 21 1970, maybe it's possible to release them as a double cd in a nice digipack with booklet.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 am

Uniondale, NY. July 19th, 1975 ..sonically upgraded to FTD standards.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:18 am

There were two shows that day.

Which one -- or both?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

KB wrote:I would like to see, released by Straight Arrow, Rainbow Records or Graceland Records (if this last one is still in business), 2 excellent Rick Rennie's audience recordings, both in the great sound:

1. Las Vegas, August 21 1970 (M.S) released in 2001. on Audionics as " You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' "

I got 2 original copies and on one the bonus songs are skipping heavily (manufactures mistake) and the other copy is not readable by any cd player (manufactures fault too!)
It is pretty hard to find these days.

2. Las Vegas, August 21 1970 (D.S) released in 1998. by Rock Legends as cd 1 on "From Macon To Vegas"

I missed this cd when it was originally released (I have it on cd-r), but now this double cd is really hard to find and expensive. Also, I don't really like the second cd with the incomplete and uninspired show from Macon, April 24 1975 in the not so good soundboard quality.

Since the both concerts are from August 21 1970, maybe it's possible to release them as a double cd in a nice digipack with booklet.

I agree, the first disc from the old Rock Legends release deserves a silver release on its own, and the second disc on that is a bummer, though the soundboard mix doesn't help either. The same partly recorded '75 show can be found on the bootleg We'll Make You Happy (2cd).

Glen Page has already showed how the original 21/8/70 ds can be improved, he pitch/speed adjusted the show and improved the sound, together with the first show on Double Dynamite (19/8/70 ds).

Glen Page <gp4216@gmail.com>

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Rob wrote:There were two shows that day.

Which one -- or both?

Both, of course. (Both Matinee & Evening Shows) Make it a 2 CD FTD digipack...re-mastered by Vic Anesini from original master reels, not Lene, please Ernst.