Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Just listened to College Park, September 27, 1974 ES

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 pm

I agree that he was certainly in strife during this time, probably more noticably than even 76-77.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm

In the summer of 1976 he was more or less just slurring..in the questioned time in 1974 he still made good concerts..if College Park wasn`t good and Detroit was a disaster..just one day later in Southbend..he was back on track with an excellent show.,..also the October shows became better and better..I think he had only one bad week in 1974 while in 1976 the whole summer and half of the fall was just sad..

Just listened to College Park, September 27, 1974 ES

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Speaking of a decent moment listening to the September 27 tape, reviewer Forest George writes "It was like finding a diamond ring at the bottom of a septic tank." .

That's what the last two songs from College Park felt like. I had forgotten I'd said that. But How Great Thou Art really was a great performance. And Can't Help Falling In Love was impressive, but still sounding like it was being sung by a madman trying to redeem himself for a crappy opening concert.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 am

fg76 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Speaking of a decent moment listening to the September 27 tape, reviewer Forest George writes "It was like finding a diamond ring at the bottom of a septic tank." .

That's what the last two songs from College Park felt like. I had forgotten I'd said that. But How Great Thou Art really was a great performance. And Can't Help Falling In Love was impressive, but still sounding like it was being sung by a madman trying to redeem himself for a crappy opening concert.

Forest, you have hit the nail on the head.