Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Just listened to College Park, September 27, 1974 ES

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm

I got to say there are worse shows like many of the dreadful summer 1976 tours, many 1977 concerts or a bunch of Vegas shows...our man sounds a bit hoarse and he is very talkative....slurring..?..Not more as usual..these later days...lol..he is joking around with the audience and he don`t take Fever very serious....while the band is playing the background music he talks about Vegas incidents..the audience is very amused..seems like they enjoyed the show..the cheers proove it..he delivers good renditions of It`s Midnight or Big Boss Man..the oldies are rushed as always .Bridge Over Troubled Water is o.k..as is Polk Salad Annie....Why Me Lord is sung with great passion ..there are better versions of How Great Thou Art..he doesn`t hit the notes quite..Can`t Help Falling In Love is a great version with Elvis putting all he has into his voice..like it....the sound is decent..considering the source.. all in all I enjoyed the show..
He was really off the role the next day..the rumours of this shows being totally out of control are not true..so..NO Chaos At College Park..this was one of the first releases by the kings of audience recordings..Straight Arrow.

Chaos In College Park

Re: Just listened to College Park, September 27, 1974 ES

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:02 am

I've heard this show once since it came out. It's not a great show by any means, but it certainly is better than the embarrassing show that followed the next day.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 am

Ciscoking wrote:I got to say there are worse shows like many of the dreadful summer 1976 tours, many 1977 concerts or a bunch of Vegas shows...our man sounds a bit hoarse and he is very talkative....slurring..?..Not more as usual..these later days...lol..he is joking around with the audience and he don`t take Fever very serious....while the band is playing the background music he talks about Vegas incidents..the audience is very amused..seems like they enjoyed the show..the cheers proove it..he delivers good renditions of It`s Midnight or Big Boss Man..the oldies are rushed as always .Bridge Over Troubled Water is o.k..as is Polk Salad Annie....Why Me Lord is sung with great passion ..there are better versions of How Great Thou Art..he doesn`t hit the notes quite..Can`t Help Falling In Love is a great version with Elvis putting all he has into his voice..like it....the sound is decent..considering the source.. all in all I enjoyed the show..
He was really off the role the next day..the rumours of this shows being totally out of control are not true..so..NO Chaos At College Park..this was one of the first releases by the kings of audience recordings..Straight Arrow.

Chaos In College Park

Hey, Cisco, no need to call this an 'ES' when there was only one show this day.

I'm not quite sure why you wish to redeem this performance with a positive review. It's not a rumour that Elvis fell out of the car entering the building, or that the show only went downhill from there. In the main, he is distracted all night, and his singing is just awful. By all accounts the only thing worse than this gig was the one the next evening in the same building.

Speaking of a decent moment listening to the September 27 tape, reviewer Forest George writes "It was like finding a diamond ring at the bottom of a septic tank."

Elvis was messed up in unreal fashion at this time. This is what these recordings reveal.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:55 am

Im confused here cause i thought the concerts in collage park were very interesting and even though Elvis wasnt at his best on the 27th i thought the 28th Elvis was on top form if wired. Cisco ty for bringin these concerts to our attention again. I havent heard these for a couple of years and 1 thing to remember Elvis was at the end of his last tour for that year. How many stars these days do as many concerts in the same year as Elvis did especially in 1974 .

Im just glad i have these in my collection but hey i want every concert i can have so maybe my opinion doesnt count for nothing. ok just read wat i wrote and just remembered Elvis still had his little stint in Lake Tahoe in October so thats even more concerts .

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:17 am

xmascarrol wrote:... i thought the 28th Elvis was on top form if wired.

Yes, you are correct. Elvis never gave a better show while wasted.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 am

College Park is horrible. Both shows. In my opinion.

These are two shows that I just can't listen to. There's absolutely nothing good in them worth a listen, IMO.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 am

billyblues wrote:College Park is horrible. Both shows. In my opinion.

These are two shows that I just can't listen to. There's absolutely nothing good in them worth a listen, IMO.

It is still the same guy from the Sullivan Show in '56, the '68 Comeback Special, and Aloha. It is all part of the story. Fans should rejoice that the College Park shows were captured by amateur tape. Elvis still could entertain regardless of the condition he was in.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:29 am

Are you feeling ok this evening?

Do you need to go back to the dressing room and play with your foot?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:49 am

Rob wrote:Are you feeling ok this evening?

Do you need to go back to the dressing room and play with your foot?

I thought I would try out the rhetoric showcased on other threads. Did you buy it?

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:49 am

Saw right through it.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:50 am

[quot//Damn! [qyote//}

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:52 am

Who the hell are you quoting?

Now THAT was funny, right there.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:42 am

midnightx wrote:

It is still the same guy from the Sullivan Show in '56, the '68 Comeback Special, and Aloha. It is all part of the story. Fans should rejoice that the College Park shows were captured by amateur tape. Elvis still could entertain regardless of the condition he was in.

You're finally catching on.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 am

midnightx wrote:

And I never said the opposite, did I? I actually don't mind the concerts' existence and I won't make jokes about those who enjoy them... Or even pretend that we should erase it from history and those who can listen to it are, I don't know, stupid or something? That's the difference. I'm happy it is avaible.

I *personally* don't enjoy the concerts, that's what I said. And I don't think there's anything good in them... But if people want to "rejoice" them, hell, feel free to do so! :D I'm all for it, it's all Elvis as you said it.
PS.: Notice that this is my second post in this topic and I actually believe I'm being more positive even if I don't enjoy the concert than some people are in a hella lot of posts in topics about things they also don't enjoy... Hell, I'm probably able to try and find positive things in both concerts if that's what people want, instead of joking about them and pretending we should all remember only the guy from '56 and '68...

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 am

billyblues wrote:
PS.: Notice that this is my second post in this topic and I actually believe I'm being more positive even if I don't enjoy the concert than some people are in a hella lot of posts in topics about things they also don't enjoy...

Yes,..you are a good guy billy. Rock on..!. :wink:

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 am

Ciscoking wrote:Yes,..you are a good guy billy. Rock on..!. :wink:

Thank you, sir. :lol: :lol:
But seriously, it wasn't my intention to derail this topic, offend anyone or something. Everyone's free to enjoy what they want and that's fine by me.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not a rumour that Elvis fell out of the car entering the building, or that the show only went downhill from there. In the main, he is distracted all night, and his singing is just awful. By all accounts the only thing worse than this gig was the one the next evening in the same building.
Speaking of a decent moment listening to the September 27 tape, reviewer Forest George writes "It was like finding a diamond ring at the bottom of a septic tank."
Elvis was messed up in unreal fashion at this time. This is what these recordings reveal.

Just out of curiosity, isn't the Jerry Hopkins book the only source for what happened behind the scenes at College Park on Sept 27? The comments by Tony Brown and John Wilkinson printed there originally have since then been reprinted numerous times by Guralnick and many others.

I just wonder what you mean by "by all accounts" in this context? Are there more eyewitness accounts as to what happened backstage?

There were several claims in the Hopkins book which I really have not seen corroborated by any other source.
Such as:
He fell out of the limousine to his knees.........and he held onto the microphone for the first thirty minutes like it was a post.

College Park let it be known they wouldn't have him back.

Then there are the claims which are not really borne out by the recording we have:
It was so bad the words to the songs were barely intelligible. You couldn't hear him hardly.

He could barely get through the introductions on the stage. He cut the show very short.

I'm not saying that Elvis was not in serious trouble at this stage, and the recording from Sept 28 makes me cringe at several points. But were these shows the unmitigated disasters a lot people want them to be? Whenever any positive comments for these shows are presented, they are quickly dismissed as fan based drivel...

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm

He didn`t cut the show short ..and he could sing.

Perhaps they mix it up with 29.9.74 AS in Detroit..which reportedly run only shortly over 25 minutes..this must have been the show with Elvis being totally off the role.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:I'm not saying that Elvis was not in serious trouble at this stage, and the recording from Sept 28 makes me cringe at several points. But were these shows the unmitigated disasters a lot people want them to be? Whenever any positive comments for these shows are presented, they are quickly dismissed as fan based drivel...

Which is usually the case.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm

midnightx wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:Whenever any positive comments for these shows are presented, they are quickly dismissed as fan based drivel...

Which is usually the case.

See what I mean...even before any positive comments were aired... :)

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Think about it.

How many good things are there about the September 28, 1974 College Park show? Right off the bat I can think of one.

Elvis did not fall off of the stage during the show.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 am

Ciscoking wrote:He didn`t cut the show short ..and he could sing.

Perhaps they mix it up with 29.9.74 AS in Detroit..which reportedly run only shortly over 25 minutes..this must have been the show with Elvis being totally off the role.

Oddly, the review of this show indicates nothing at all amiss:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/newspapers/press102.htm

Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:19 am

John,..sorry ..the show described in the review never took place..so I can`t take it serious..have a look at the date.
Skar confirms in his book that the show lasted only for 30 minutes ..other sources say ..".he sped through 14 songs in 30 minutes..in the middle part even brought Voice to sing 3 songs while he leanded back"....oh and he gave away 37 scarves.. there.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 pm

It's not a great show but not as bad as I thought it would be. The one the next night was far worse. One thing I can defend is that Elvis did do a good set on that tour. A little more blues and rock. He started this a month before in Vegas and his 1975 shows also usually have a good set. I can understand why people would think it wasn't up to previous standards but maybe it's been overblown because it's an easy way to mark the decline. I have heard worse shows from 1973-77 though I wouldn't call it a great moment.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 am

Mike, the set looks okay on paper. The execution during that period is an entirely different matter.