Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

research question for vegas december 1975

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Everyone,
Not much of a talker here, but I hope you can help me. I am glad to have found this section, because if any of you are bootleg concert experts, maybe you can answer my question.

I saw Elvis at the Hilton 15 times (1970-1976). Because Life Happens :roll: my records to remember the dates are gone. I have a few dates I have never forgotten, some I have been able to discover and many I just can't even recall one tiny tidbit to help me research it.

But hopefully, this could help you help me find an exact date from this memory of mine.

I saw Elvis in Dec 75. I was able to sit reasonably close. I had purchased a boating cap, the largest size I could find (7 3/4) and attached a note. I remember agonizing where to attach and pin the note so that Elvis would notice it and read it.

What happened to my best planning was this: Elvis was talking a little bit between songs. I threw the hat (like a frisbee) and it nearly landed at his feet (behind him). He fortunately turned and noticed it. He picked it up, looked at it, put it on , and said "Hot Damn, what do ya know, it fits?!" Being shy , I did not stand up, I did not say anything, but fervently hoped that he would see my note. My heart was racing. He wore it only a moment. In spite of his handling to put it on and take it off, Elvis didn't see the note. He handed it to Charlie, and Elvis turned away. Charlie saw the white paper flip & silently read the note, but heartbreakingly to me, Charlie did not show it to Elvis. :cry: Elvis continued on with the show. My best & last chance to get a kiss from Elvis was gone... :(

I always remembered that he had something dark on, so now I truly believe it was the Silver Phoenix.

I don't know what day of the week it was. I used to see Elvis shows regularly on a Fri or Sat, but I remember when I made the reservation that since I was a high school graduate and currently waiting to report for Navy duty, my schedule was open. I could pick anything and I believe I went during the week. But I have no clue what date. I have listened to every Dec 75 concert I could get to, but I know there are still quite a few that I have not been able to listen to.

Hopefully, someone out there has a Dec 75 recording and recognizes where he says that. (and now you know why!)

Thanks.
Sue
viva elvis ~ viva las vegas

Re: research question for vegas december 1975

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:38 pm

the task is not to manage..sorry..too many dialogues which you can`t make out cause Elvis
is to distant from the mike..

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:56 pm

sorry to hear that.

thanks for reading my story.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Ciscoking wrote:the task is not to manage..sorry..too many dialogues which you can`t make out cause Elvis
is to distant from the mike..

You don't even seem to try to help her. There's more than one way to Rome ! Besides the dialogues there's the suit and/or the setlist.

She mentions a dark suit, most probably the 'Silver Phoenix'. That suit was worn only once, as far as is known, on December 13th 1975 during the Midnight Show. The only other dark suit Elvis wore this season is the 'Totem Pole' suit and that one was worn during the December 4th 1975 concert and the December 13th 1975 Dinner Show.

The December 4th 1975 concert was on a week day (Thursday), while the Decmeber 13th concerts were on a Saturday. (weekend)

These are the most likely dates 'ponygirlup'. Are there any songs you remember from that specific concert which could help finding the date. During the December 4th concert he, for instance, sang the only version of Bridge Over Troubled Water, that season. On December 13th during the Dinner Show he sang part of 'Wooden heart' and during the Midnight Show he sang part of 'Welcome To My World'.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:56 pm

I am no jumpsuit expert....the only way to find out for me is therefore via setlists or dialogue..
..and I gave up after a while..but I have tried.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 am

stefan, thanks for your reply. i never returned until now because i accepted that there was no answer. cisco was so quick to answer, so i went away....

I have viewed many pictures of the silver phoenix from that time. nothing clicks. i have listened to the dec 13 show. no, that wasn't it. :( i do believe i have listened to a bootleg of dec 4 and that wasn't it either, sad to say. i bought the FTD dinner at eight because at least it's something to remember the show by.

i don't remember any significant song. when i look at song lists from that period, i recognized the songs. but there wasn't anything 'unique'. i think it's a show that was not taped or there is no record of what he wore.

thanks , both of you, for trying....
:smt001