Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:08 am

Ciscoking wrote:Why..Dick..can you enlighten me..?
She sold tapes...which she actually didn`t have..?.
... :lol: ....


In short:
When Rick died she had big financial problems, I called her
and offered to help selling his collection through Elvisbay.
So his complete collection was presented on the website and
people could make an offer for the items they wanted. If an offer
was reasonable it was forwarded to her and she could close the deal.
Well, sometimes she seemed to forget she had to send the (correct)
items aswell. It was a very unpleasant experience.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Joern wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I mean that some of the releases we have are from early generation copies.
For example, Shining In Portland comes from the first generation copy because Rick lost the master tape. Before that he made copies of course.
On Double Dynamite both 1970 Aug. 19. D/S & M/S come from the first generation copies,too,as the master tapes have been lost.

How do you know that? Have you been involved in releasing this issues?


That are almost Rennies words. You can read that in some liner notes of a bootleg (don't know which one at the moment) where Rick Rennie is cited.


Rick's recollections make up the liner notes for "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" import. Good stuff.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

KempoDick wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Why..Dick..can you enlighten me..?
She sold tapes...which she actually didn`t have..?.
... :lol: ....


In short:
When Rick died she had big financial problems, I called her
and offered to help selling his collection through Elvisbay.
So his complete collection was presented on the website and
people could make an offer for the items they wanted. If an offer
was reasonable it was forwarded to her and she could close the deal.
Well, sometimes she seemed to forget she had to send the (correct)
items aswell. It was a very unpleasant experience.


Thank you Dick.... :smt006

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi,

about "The Perfect Gift", the sound is taken from "Live In Lake Tahoe" but the remastering was done in the same way as the FTD "New Year Eve" was done so the final recording is marred with a lot of clipped parts and "pops". Must be avoied...

A question for you Cisco is the sound of "Live In Lake Tahoe" the same as on "The Man In White Vol4" ? On Elvis on CD the 2003 pressing is worse noted.

See You

Vince

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I have to pass this question over since I only have The Man In White..I am not responsible for these old sound rates..I just made the comments for the shows.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Vince wrote:Hi,

about "The Perfect Gift", the sound is taken from "Live In Lake Tahoe" but the remastering was done in the same way as the FTD "New Year Eve" was done so the final recording is marred with a lot of clipped parts and "pops". Must be avoied...

A question for you Cisco is the sound of "Live In Lake Tahoe" the same as on "The Man In White Vol4" ? On Elvis on CD the 2003 pressing is worse noted.

See You

Vince


That's not true. The source was a different and much better sounding one than the old "Live In Lake Tahoe"-CD. Your assessment is so wrong that one can think that you didn't have heard the CD at all.

The sound on "The Man In White Vol.4" is on par with "The Perfect Gift". There's not so much difference between them - soundwise. The main difference was, that "The Man In White Vol.4" was a silver-pressed CD where the other one was a CDR.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:11 am

Hi,

i own "The Perfect Gift" and "The Man In White", but you are right i don't own the "Live In Lake Tahoe" CD.
And yes i made a mistake, i was thinking of "The Man In White", not "Live In Lake Tahoe".

Wasn't "The Perfect Gift" released after the "TMIW 4" ?

See You

Vince

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:35 am

Vince wrote:Hi,

i own "The Perfect Gift" and "The Man In White", but you are right i don't own the "Live In Lake Tahoe" CD.
And yes i made a mistake, i was thinking of "The Man In White", not "Live In Lake Tahoe".

Wasn't "The Perfect Gift" released after the "TMIW 4" ?

See You

Vince


That's no problem. Everything else would have made me wonder :wink: .
As far as I remember they were released at the same time.

Joern

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:18 pm

burroughs wrote:Not sure, but I think *the perfect gift* was out a few months earlier :?:


Correct.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Btw...good ol Rennie also knew how to "doctor" shows... :lol:

The end of From Vegas To Macon (August 21, 1970 DS)...from 4:43 of Suspicious Minds onwards is taken from the MS the same day ..as released on You`ve Lost That Lovin Feeling...;-)

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:You can list ALL Rennie shows..?

Below are all the known Rick Rennie recordings
All are from Las Vegas, unless noted.

RICK RENNIE TAPES

03 Feb '70 DS [mono]
05 Feb '70 DS [mono]

19 Aug '70 DS
19 Aug '70 MS

20 Aug '70 DS
20 Aug '70 MS

21 Aug '70 DS
21 Aug '70 MS

11 Nov '70 - Portland, OR
27 Apr '73 - Portland, OR
13 May '73 3AM - Lake Tahoe, NV

NOTES
Rick tried taping an Aug '69 show but it got confiscated.
His Feb '70 recordings are of average quality at best because of poor equipment.
The superb Aug '70 tapes were made using an upgraded microphone and cassette recorder.

---

IIRC these are the best CD iterations of Rennie's high-quality audience tapes:

August 19, 1970 DS -- Double Dynamite, CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 19, 1970 MS -- Double Dynamite, CD 2 (Rock Legends)

August 20, 1970 DS -- A Dinner Bell In Vegas (Memory)
August 20, 1970 MS -- A Bright Midnight With Elvis (Memory) -- first complete release, from master cassette

August 21, 1970 DS -- From Vegas To Macon CD 1 (Rock Legends)
August 21, 1970 MS -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (Audionics)

April 27, 1973 (Portland) -- Shining In Portland (Memory)

---

Rennie wasn't a "bootlegger," the above discs were not his work, but an archivist. The best of his tapes are about as close as any of us will ever get to attending a great 70s Presley show. Further, Rick managed to catch Elvis' mysterious statement, repeated quite seriously across several nights at the International in the summer of 1970, about "Tiger Man" being his "second record" for Sun.

Elvis Recorded "Tiger Man" At Sun --> Mystery Solved ?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55284

---

I corresponded with Rick several times. He was always polite, always willing to share his stories of recording Elvis.

Thanks always, Rick.

May you R.I.P.


John,..you happen to know whether he used two mikes for his recordings or just one..?

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:29 am

Ciscoking wrote:John,..you happen to know whether he used two mikes for his recordings or just one..?


I do not know. Is there a noticeable stereo ambiance on any of his recordings?

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Just listen to August 20, 1970 MS as released on A Bright Midnight In Vegas by Memory Records.

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... dnight.htm

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Is there a reason why Rick Rennies' recordings stops in 1973?
After that,only the Portland 1976 is supposed to be by him...
Did he not see EP anymore, stopped recording, or are there recordings out there, but are these not credited to him?

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:47 am

Ciscoking wrote:Just listen to August 20, 1970 MS as released on A Bright Midnight In Vegas by Memory Records.

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/abrightmidnight.htm


Below is the information you seek, from the late Rick Rennie himself. Just one STEREO mic, starting with the August 1970 recordings.

Please don't forget it. ;-)



from ANOTHER SCHEFF DINER
http://www.emessageforum.com/messages.asp?id=9694&mid=2322233&p=1

Topic: Rick Rennie - The Best Audience Recordist

Post Date: 11/26/2001 9:47:27 PM
Author: Otto

Here's exact list

03/02/70 DS mono
05/02/70 DS mono

STEREO:

19/08/70 DS & MS
20/08/70 DS & MS
21/08/70 DS & MS
11/11/70
27/04/73
13/05/73 3AM

that's all !!

Rick visited also shows in Vegas

02/08/69 DS & MS
28/08/74 MS
25/03/75 DS

and Portland 26/11/76

but he didn't tape any of them.

Otto.

-----

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 2:15:19 PM UTC-8, Rick Rennie wrote:
It is correct except I also went to a Seattle show in April '76. I have poor tapes of the shows I saw, but didn't record from others, except for the August 2, 1969 shows, which I'm still trying to find. It was my first shows and they confiscated my recorder that night. I was more careful at future shows.


-----

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 2:52:11 PM UTC-8, Broadwaychris wrote:
Rick,
Forgive me if you've gone into this elsewhere, how exactly did you work out the stereo thing and not be seen?
And what would be your best recording and why?

-----

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 5:45:25 PM UTC-8, Rick Rennie wrote:
I had an omni-directional stereo microphone that I just set on the table after the lights dimmed. Never had a problem with that. My favorite show was the Tahoe '73 3 a.m. show because the showroom was the smallest and most intimate I ever saw Elvis in. The show was great, Elvis looked and sounded great and it was the only show of the 20 I saw where the orchestra began the 2001 theme again at the end and Elvis returned to the stage again to greet everyone. I thought he might sing again, but he didn't. But he did do some rare or unusual songs for 1973. RCA has released a soundboard of one of them ("Faded Love") on an FTD promo and was at that time planning to release the entire concert on FTD, but I'm sure they would have messed it up one way or another if they had followed through with releasing it.



http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.elvis.king

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 am

Does the above mean when I listen to Double Dynamite boot 8-19-70 boot I am hearing his tape?

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 am

WMarkJ wrote:Does the above mean when I listen to Double Dynamite boot 8-19-70 boot I am hearing his tape?


Tapes of both shows, yes.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:Does the above mean when I listen to Double Dynamite boot 8-19-70 boot I am hearing his tape?


Tapes of both shows, yes.

So far have heard Aug 19, 1970 DS and it is fantastic

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:37 am

WMarkJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Tapes of both shows, yes.


So far have heard Aug 19, 1970 DS and it is fantastic


It is also edited.

Rennie's wonderful 1970s audience tapes include an odd experience at the 8-19-1970 DS:

"Another favorite story of mine is from the August 19, 1970 DS and why I felt the need to edit it. Elvis seemed very unusual that evening. A lady at my table even made comments that she thought he seemed drunk. Of course, I had no such thoughts at that time, but in retrospect, he did seem influenced by something.

"It was during his rendition of "Love Me Tender" that he got out of control and went on much too long with the socializing part of it. The audience became bored with it and at first began clapping in unison for him, to get on with the show. But he ignored them and just continued with what he was doing. Then, the audience began to "boo" him. I did not want my friends to hear this, because some of them already thought I was crazy liking him so much, so I edited out the "Love Me Tender" section and I have since misplaced the original.

"Even though he was stoned on something, he went on to perform a great show, although you can hear him fall on his face and mess up "Polk Salad Annie" in this show. Still, at that time, I never suspected anything. I didn't even question how he was behaving." (Rick Rennie)

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/ddynamite.html



Elvis was booed by the audience, fan and non-fan, because he was not doing what they paid good money to see: him singing.

It was an eerie foreshadowing of things to come.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Tapes of both shows, yes.


So far have heard Aug 19, 1970 DS and it is fantastic


It is also edited.

Rennie's wonderful 1970s audience tapes include an odd experience at the 8-19-1970 DS:

"Another favorite story of mine is from the August 19, 1970 DS and why I felt the need to edit it. Elvis seemed very unusual that evening. A lady at my table even made comments that she thought he seemed drunk. Of course, I had no such thoughts at that time, but in retrospect, he did seem influenced by something.

"It was during his rendition of "Love Me Tender" that he got out of control and went on much too long with the socializing part of it. The audience became bored with it and at first began clapping in unison for him, to get on with the show. But he ignored them and just continued with what he was doing. Then, the audience began to "boo" him. I did not want my friends to hear this, because some of them already thought I was crazy liking him so much, so I edited out the "Love Me Tender" section and I have since misplaced the original.

"Even though he was stoned on something, he went on to perform a great show, although you can hear him fall on his face and mess up "Polk Salad Annie" in this show. Still, at that time, I never suspected anything. I didn't even question how he was behaving." (Rick Rennie)

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/ddynamite.html



Elvis was booed by the audience, fan and non-fan, because he was not doing what they paid good money to see: him singing.

It was an eerie foreshadowing of things to come.
very interesting, thanks

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:30 am

You're welcome.

The Elvis story has many twists and turns.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:13 am

WMarkJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Tapes of both shows, yes.


So far have heard Aug 19, 1970 DS and it is fantastic


It is also edited.

[/quote]

Love Me Tender,I*ve Lost You and intros are missing. There`s a cdr called Along Came Elvis where I' ve Lost You which was later found was inserted.

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 am

Ciscoking wrote:Love Me Tender,I*ve Lost You and intros are missing. There`s a cdr called Along Came Elvis where I' ve Lost You which was later found was inserted.


Did you miss my post about Rennie's recording set-up?

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the infos. JOHN!

Re: The Rick Rennie tapes - fantastic !

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Rick visited also shows in Vegas

02/08/69 DS & MS
28/08/74 MS
25/03/75 DS

and Portland 26/11/76

but he didn't tape any of them.

Otto.


and i got an anwser to my question, thanks!!