Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Boston 71....abandoned by Gravel Road Music

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:23 pm

I could get hold of these sound samples..what if GRM had released Boston 71..? And..the files are not worked out..

with stereo effect

I'm Leavin

no effect

I'm Leavin

One Night Only source

I'm Leavin

Re: Boston 71....abandoned by Gravel Road Music

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 am

I do like the stereo version! I must say I don't mind soundboards "tampered" with if it benefits the sound. In this case I think it benefits Elvis' vocal projection. Artificial echo, like on the old DAE releases, is not my thing but certain other effects are not necessarily wrong.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:02 am

Checked these samples out and i feel when you listen to the stereo recording Elvis seems closer, but even without effect this is still very good sound. Now i wish all elvis concerts were this sound but hey can't have evything lol.

xmas ::rocks

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:52 am

I heard the FTD sound is not so good on Elvis new.com..anyone..?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:08 pm

James27 wrote:I do like the stereo version! I must say I don't mind soundboards "tampered" with if it benefits the sound.

Agreed.

James27 wrote:Artificial echo, like on the old DAE releases, is not my thing but certain other effects are not necessarily wrong.

Well,comapre DAE's "LET ME TAKE YOU HOME" to Venus' "Bringing It All Back Home" and i wonder which one you prefer. In my opinion the DAE sounds 10 times better! No wonder that BIABH has flopped.

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/aud ... _home.html

The first part of the sample is the DAE version and the second part is the "dry" Venus version which was supposed to be the "improved" version but to my ears it's FAAAAR INFERIOR!

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I could get hold of these sound samples..what if GRM had released Boston 71..?

Are you saying Gravel Road had been planning a Boston '71 release?

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Yep..! If I got it correctly....John !

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Yep..! If I got it correctly....John !

Wow!
Poor Gravel Road,first they had to cancel the Chicago shows and now Boston...
Even though they used to release only re-releases,i really like this label. They're doing a good work for those fans who missed the original releases in the 90's.

They should re-release Vegas Rhythm. I couldn't get that CD. It became very rare just a few months after its release. A lot of fans missed it.
And there's still room for improvement. I mean the faked closing vamp... :roll:

Then there are the may 4th Lake Charles shows... College Park... some of the june 1975 tour shows... Just Pretend... Still Rocking The Nation... Southbound... the incomplete april 1975 soundboards... Blazing Into The Darkness...Elvis At Full Blast...Snowbird... and many others.
There are still a lot of hard to find old titles that new fans can't get easily (unless they are millionaires).

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 pm

I`d like to see Vegas Rhythm as a digipak..as are all others..(?)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:

Wow!
Even though they used to release only re-releases,i really like this label. They're doing a good work for those fans who missed the original releases in the 90's.

They should re-release Vegas Rhythm. I couldn't get that CD. It became very rare just a few months after its release. A lot of fans missed it.

Then there are the may 4th Lake Charles shows... College Park... some of the june 1975 tour shows... Just Pretend... Still Rocking The Nation... Southbound... the incomplete april 1975 soundboards... Blazing Into The Darkness...Elvis At Full Blast...Snowbird... and many others.
There are still a lot of hard to find old titles that new fans can't get easily (unless they are millionaires).

Blazing Into The Darkness was already re-released as part of the "Soundboard Collection", cheap digipacks all, with no sound improvement however. But re-released. So, coupled with a re-release of Elvis At Full Blast: yep I would surely buy it when improved (sound, packaging). The same goes for Snowbird coupled with All Things Are Possible. "Lean, Mean & Kickin' Butt" is already available on the superior Showroom Internationale 1971 release (disc 1), so we don't need that one again.

Lake Charles E.S. as featured on the Pofile box is a good show for the time and deserves a stand-alone release. Or put it on a 2cd digpack with the afternoon show previously available on Cajun Tornado. Just Pretend just begs for a re-release, first of all it was not as complete as it could have been (see "Unsurpassed Masters vol. 4") and I think in almost 20 years time the sound can be improved and of a course a decent booklet provided.

Still Rocking The Nation will probably not see another re-release after the badly received re-release "The Man In White vol. 2" (remember the days when a bootleg label actually apologized for an error? something FTD could learn from :oops: ). Also, this one, College Park, and Southbound are not really good enough to warrant a commercially interesting re-release, they're rather medicore shows. Unless they couple each of them with a previously unreleased soundboard from the same tour, then many would make the plunge yet again.

The real hope however is to find new soundboard recorded shows.

I agree in general that the bulk of soundboard titles should be made available to the fans, but with improvement on sound and packaging please.
Last edited by James27 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Gabriel wrote:
James27 wrote:I do like the stereo version! I must say I don't mind soundboards "tampered" with if it benefits the sound.

Agreed.

James27 wrote:Artificial echo, like on the old DAE releases, is not my thing but certain other effects are not necessarily wrong.

Well,comapre DAE's "LET ME TAKE YOU HOME" to Venus' "Bringing It All Back Home" and i wonder which one you prefer. In my opinion the DAE sounds 10 times better! No wonder that BIABH has flopped.

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/aud ... _home.html

The first part of the sample is the DAE version and the second part is the "dry" Venus version which was supposed to be the "improved" version but to my ears it's FAAAAR INFERIOR!

It's a matter of taste. I like the BIABH a little better, but not much. But the other show, the 16/3/74 AS, sounds vastly SUPERIOR to the original Hello Memphis release, and that was the main reason for me to re-buy the shows. The GREAT book included, one of the best ever delivered within a bootleg project, is another reason. A great release.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:00 pm

James27 wrote:Still Rocking The Nation will probably not see another re-release after the badly received re-release "The Man In White vol. 2" (remember the days when a bootleg label actually apologized for an error? something FTD could learn from :oops: ). Also, this one, College Park, and Southbound are not really good enough to warrant a commercially interesting re-release, they're rather medicore shows.

I don't care how bad or medioce a show is as i'm a soundboard collector and i try to buy every soundboard release i still don't have. Unfortunately i can't afford rare old CD's,this is why the cheaper reissues are welcome.

Ciscoking wrote:I`d like to see Vegas Rhythm as a digipak..as are all others..(?)

Uff...not a good idea... But as i don't have V.R.,even a G.R. digipak release would be better than let's say a CD-R.
Last edited by Gabriel on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:03 pm

James27 wrote:]Just Pretend [/b]just begs for a re-release, first of all it was not as complete as it could have been (see "Unsurpassed Masters vol. 4") and I think in almost 20 years time the sound can be improved and of a course a decent booklet provided.

A feeling tells me this is a candidate for FTD.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
James27 wrote:]Just Pretend [/b]just begs for a re-release, first of all it was not as complete as it could have been (see "Unsurpassed Masters vol. 4") and I think in almost 20 years time the sound can be improved and of a course a decent booklet provided.

Ger Rijff wrote that FTD is planning to re-release this show so if G.R. wants to reissue it then they have to do it very fast!
Otherwise the same will happen than in case of Chicago 76 and maybe Boston.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:08 pm

For completeness' sake, I should add that also Just Pretend, Let Me Take You Home and All Things Are Possible were re-released as part of the "Live Soundboard Collection", along with many others. So people who can't get hold of the original titles can buy these cheaper re-releases, easily avilable at about 10€/piece.
But not "Southbound", "Still Rocking The Nation", "College Park". Only the middle one has been re-released, as already mentioned.

Say, they would combine "Southbound" with "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten", it would still make a depressing 2CD package, no?
The same goes for a coupling of the College Park soundboard ("A Profile" box), along with the AR of "Chaos in College Park", if it would fit onto a 2-disc at all, who's really waiting for that? It's Elvis at his very worst.

James27 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Wow!

Blazing Into The Darkness was already re-released as part of the "Soundboard Collection", cheap digipacks all, with no sound improvement however. But re-released. So, coupled with a re-release of Elvis At Full Blast: yep I would surely buy it when improved (sound, packaging). The same goes for Snowbird coupled with All Things Are Possible. "Lean, Mean & Kickin' Butt" is already available on the superior Showroom Internationale 1971 release (disc 1), so we don't need that one again.

Lake Charles E.S. as featured on the Pofile box is a good show for the time and deserves a stand-alone release. Or put it on a 2cd digpack with the afternoon show previously available on Cajun Tornado. Just Pretend just begs for a re-release, first of all it was not as complete as it could have been (see "Unsurpassed Masters vol. 4") and I think in almost 20 years time the sound can be improved and of a course a decent booklet provided.

Still Rocking The Nation will probably not see another re-release after the badly received re-release "The Man In White vol. 2" (remember the days when a bootleg label actually apologized for an error? something FTD could learn from :oops: ). Also, this one, College Park, and Southbound are not really good enough to warrant a commercially interesting re-release, they're rather medicore shows. Unless they couple each of them with a previously unreleased soundboard from the same tour, then many would make the plunge yet again.

The real hope however is to find new soundboard recorded shows.

I agree in general that the bulk of soundboard titles should be made available to the fans, but with improvement on sound and packaging please.
Last edited by James27 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Ger Rijff wrote that FTD is planning to re-release this show so if G.R. wants to reissue it then they have to do it very fast!
Otherwise the same will happen than in case of Chicago 76 and maybe Boston.

Wise words which are absolutely correct.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Ciscoking wrote:

I've been hoping for that for YEARS ! I love this season. Perhaps they should have presented this show as a double digipack for the standard 1-cd price together with Dinner At Eight, like they do now with "Dixieland Delight", "Showtime!" etc.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:20 pm

James27 wrote:For completeness' sake, I should add that also Just Pretend, Let Me Take You Home and All Things Are Possible were re-released as part of the "Live Soundboard Collection", along with many others. So people who can't get hold of the original titles can buy these cheaper re-releases, easily avilable at about 10€/piece.

I buy only quality re-releases so i passed those cheapo box-sets.

James27 wrote:Say, they would combine "Southbound" with "Old Times TheyAre Not Forgotten", it would still make a depressing 2CD package, no?
The same goes for a coupling of the College Park soundboard ("A Profile" box), along with the AR of "Chaos in College Park", if it would fit onto a 2-disc at all, who's really waiting for that? It's Elvis at his very worst.

First of all,i like the sept./october 1974 tour.
As for the 1976 shows,i'm not a fan of them but i want them all on soundboard. I can enjoy even the worst Elvis show. This is why i'm an Elvis Presley fan.
He had his bad moments,nobody is perfect after all. But we can't deny and can't change the past.
As i collector,i want all available soundboards,no matter how bad the show is.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:24 pm

James27 wrote:

Perhaps they should have presented this show as a double digipack for the standard 1-cd price together with Dinner At Eight,.

Not Dinner At Eight, James..another unreleased show from this season..man there are great shows..one of the best Vegas seasons ever.. except for 1969 and 1970..

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Not Dinner At Eight, James..another unreleased show from this season..man there are great shows..one of the best Vegas seasons ever.. except for 1969 and 1970..

As far as i know FTD has at least 2 unreleased soundboards from this season. From memory,both shows from dec. 6th but i'm not sure in it.
And yes,it's indeed among the best Vegas seasons.
So much better than feb. and aug. 1973 for example.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Not bad ....I`d take the MS from this day..brilliant setlist and Mrs. Parker and Lisa were there,..

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:49 am

Ciscoking wrote:
James27 wrote:

Perhaps they should have presented this show as a double digipack for the standard 1-cd price together with Dinner At Eight,.

Not Dinner At Eight, James..another unreleased show from this season..man there are great shows..one of the best Vegas seasons ever.. except for 1969 and 1970..

I meant they could have done it like that back then, offering two soundboard shows (the one on Dinner at Eight plus the Just Pretend one) instead of one single disc, in one 2-CD digipack package, for the price of just one FTD.

Of course it would be utterly ridiculous to re-release the Dinner At Eight show again.. I didn't hint to that. I'm all for a new 2-cd digipack from this last GREAT season with the 13/12/75 ES (great show) + another UNreleased soundboard from that season. Or even TWO unreleased soundboard shows (unlikely), and let some of the better bootleggers give us the 13/12 ES. They (FTD) can even add one or two rare AR tracks (but I bet they won't) like they did on the Live in Las Vegas box set ("When The Snow Is On The Roses").

But bring on the 2-cd digipacks with booklets from now on, each time. Just like they've been doing on a regular basis since some time. To flesh out a certain tour, more shows are sometimes needed and usually celebrated. Case in point: New Years Eve + Showtime, with a total of 3 shows. Also: Southern Nights + the Dixieland Delights release. No complaints heard there!

I find it strange, given the decreasing enthusiasm for new Elvis soundboards, even among die-hards, that FTD doesn't release a double disc release with two soundboards EVERY time. After all, a soundboard is not a professional recording, except for a very few there is always *something* wrong with the sound on them, and therefore they should be offered for less money than the studio recordings which were produced at higher cost and care back then, are usually handled now with great care by competent sound engineers/masterers.

FTD, Give us two and let us pay for one. Keep everybody happy. :)

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 am

James27 wrote:I find it strange, given the decreasing enthusiasm for new Elvis soundboards, even among die-hards, that FTD doesn't release a double disc release with two soundboards EVERY time. After all, a soundboard is not a professional recording, except for a very few there is always *something* wrong with the sound on them, and therefore they should be offered for less money than the studio recordings which were produced at higher cost and care back then, are usually handled now with great care by competent sound engineers/masterers.

When they release a double live CD then at least one of the shows has been already released by bootleggers and is well-known. Sometimes both. This is not good. I can't really enjoy these releases. What can i do with 2 discs when i already have all (or most) material on them?
2 completely unreleased soundboards would be a different story of course.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 am

Gabriel wrote:
James27 wrote:I find it strange, given the decreasing enthusiasm for new Elvis soundboards, even among die-hards, that FTD doesn't release a double disc release with two soundboards EVERY time. After all, a soundboard is not a professional recording, except for a very few there is always *something* wrong with the sound on them, and therefore they should be offered for less money than the studio recordings which were produced at higher cost and care back then, are usually handled now with great care by competent sound engineers/masterers.

When they release a double live CD then at least one of the shows has been already released by bootleggers and is well-known. Sometimes both. This is not good. I can't really enjoy these releases. What can i do with 2 discs when i already have all (or most) material on them?
2 completely unreleased soundboards would be a different story of course.

Yes, that might be the case for us (well, certainly for me, at least), but let's not forget all the fans who cannot or will not buy bootleg releases, because out of principle, money issues, supplier problems (where to find this or that bootleg), whatever. Let's be fair: many older Elvis fans don't know how to operate a computer properly, let alone contact bootleg dealers, make international transactions etc. They often lack the basic computer knowledge, because of being brought up in very differerent times and having problems to adopt to changes. That's their right. FTD is for them too! They should have a chance to hear these shows too. Ernst isn't catering strictly to the hardcore fans. Softcore fans are larger numbered than you assume. :lol: I think they might even out-number us hardcore buffs!

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:45 am

James27 wrote:Of course it would be utterly ridiculous to re-release the Dinner At Eight show again.. I didn't hint to that. I'm all for a new 2-cd digipack from this last GREAT season with the 13/12/75 ES (great show) + another UNreleased soundboard from that season.

James,..sorry..I got you wrong..!

::rocks