Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Riot In Charlotte....February 21, 1977 ES

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Just gave this CD a spin..by random..and I got to say..it`s one of the best shows from 1977..with appealing setlist..we have a funny version of Are You Tonesome Tonight where he fools around with Charly...he started doing this in Vegas the last year ..I think.....rarities like Reconsider Baby and Moody Blue are also featured....Elvis says..that it is his latest record and that he`s got to read the lyrics..a woman shouts.."it`s..o.k...just try"..also Release Me gets a decent treatment..excellent....a nice moment where Terry Alden plays the piano during the intros..Hurt is bombastic as always....but I think Elvis was out of breath then since he let the Stamps do Why Me Lord alone before he finshes with Can`t Help Falling In Love..there were just a few shows later on..where he could reach this level..Indy was perhaps one of them..the sound of this AR is not the best...average ..a bit dull..

Re: Riot In Charlotte....February 21, 1977 ES

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:14 am

Have to agree with you there cisco, the way Elvis sang in the last year he gave it all to us fans, but even though when you do listen to some of the 77 shows you feel like crying for the guy, Elvis sang i did it my way and have to say he really did do it his way and it was just for us, just a shame he didnt get the chance to see how we felt for him then and us true fans do now. I dont care how bad the concerts were every concert was history in the making cause how many popstars these days have a fan base as big as The King and me being greedy i want all the concerts 69-77, just a shame amarillo, springfield and sioux falls arent around to complete our 77 collection. Ok im whafflin now last thing Charlotte 77 rocks.

xmas :D

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 am

xmascarrol wrote: just a shame amarillo, springfield and sioux falls arent around to complete our 77 collection. ... last thing Charlotte 77 rocks.

xmas :D

Well said..my thoughts exactly..my friend..

::rocks

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:35 am

Maybe an audience recording makes the show sound like a good one. But listening to MOODY BLUE AND OTHER GREAT PERFORMANCES, the crystal clear sound soon reveals that it wasn't. Elvis sounds worn out, he forgets the lyrics to ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT and delivers some very mediocre vocals on MOODY BLUE. During RELEASE ME he is out of breath and all the oldies are performed in a throw-away fashion.

Sometimes he tried that night, sometimes he succeeded, but to a large degree it was obvious that this man needed a long break.

I guess I'd loved that show if I had been there. But the soundboard recording reveals much more than any audience recording (or the sound in the venue that night) ever can. And listening to Elvis' performance and hearing all the details sometimes is a sad affair.

:(

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm

A soundboard recording makes every show appear in a different light...yes.. and uncovers every mistake, every short breath..every not correct sung note etc..without a doubt...that`s why I often go for an AR... then I don`t have to think about these things and get the atmosphere of a live concert..and Release Me and Moody Blue sound simply good then..and after all...Elvis was just a human being..forgive him for sometimes being out of breath when at least he tried hard to please his crowd... like he did here... :wink:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:24 pm

He didn't try as hard as you think. Of course, he included songs like RECONSIDER BABY, RELEASE ME, MOODY BLUE and WHY ME LORD, but all the other stuff is nothing more than average.

And even the rare ones are not great ones. RECONSIDER BABY is great (besides his below mediocre guitar playing) and RELEASE ME is also done very well. As I said, he is somewhat out of breath, but nevertheless his voice sounds good and he certainly has fun with it. MOODY BLUE is nothing more than a fair rehearsal. The band know their parts and so do the backup singers. The only one who also should have attended the afternoon rehearsal is Elvis himselvis. He was lucky, that the band and singers reacted so well to everything he did. I cannot hear why Elvis stopped WHY ME LORD. If it was really because JD made some minor mistake, Mr. Sumner could have stopped Elvis on nearly every song.

Some rare songs do not make a good show. Occasionally Elvis tried, but he didn't succeed.

But of course, an audience recordings hides all the mistakes -at least to a large degree- and the fans in the audience didn't get to hear those imperfections, too. The PA was too bad and the noise of the people made it impossible to hear the details.

Unfortunately I do not sit in the audience and I listen to a soundboard recording at home. And comparing this recording to several others, I simply have to say that Elvis had done it better. A lot of times and even during the February 1977 tour (not to speak of his concerts just a few weeks before in December).

It wasn't a bad show and I even give the CD (the FB release) a spin once in a while. The show is certainly entertaining, but still Elvis sounded like he needed a long rest.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Hopefully the 77 box never sees the light of day.. :lol:

Thanks for the comments..anyway,...everyone has his own point of view..

::rocks