Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Sept 30, 1974 - Elvis' first concert @ Notre Dame

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:40 am

I've been listening to this show which is an audience recording. I think it is a great show in the middle of an abysmal tour. The soundboard, however, is in a private collector's hands. I am willing to pay much more than the market value for this soundboard. If anyone knows of the person who owns it, please let me know.
Elvis Fan

Re: Sept 30, 1974 - Elvis' first concert @ Notre Dame

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 am

Elvis Fan wrote:I've been listening to this show which is an audience recording. I think it is a great show in the middle of an abysmal tour. The soundboard, however, is in a private collector's hands. I am willing to pay much more than the market value for this soundboard. If anyone knows of the person who owns it, please let me know.
Elvis Fan

How do you know the soundboard is in private hands?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 am

Yes it is a good show. The setlists for this tour are some of the most interesting and varied of all the 1973-77 shows. Shame he was so"out of it" shall we say. Some good vocals though. I have edited each show to remove all the endless dialogue, just so sometimes I can listen to a bunch of songs, sorta like a live album. It makes for pleasurable listening - even college park and the like.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Elvis Fan wrote:I've been listening to this show which is an audience recording. I think it is a great show in the middle of an abysmal tour. The soundboard, however, is in a private collector's hands. I am willing to pay much more than the market value for this soundboard. If anyone knows of the person who owns it, please let me know.

Most likely Ernst has it but i'm pretty sure that he won't sell it! :)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Word is that Ernst wanted to release the Sept 30, 1974 performance @ ND instead of the Oct 1, 1974 performance but it wasn't in the vaults. Joe Tunzi said he knows who has the Sept 30 soundboard but as of three years ago, he wasn't interested in selling. I have emailed Tunzi, but have received little in terms of a response.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm

I like the whole tour and any new soundboard would be welcome. I hope Ernst will release another one. Some say it was a bad our but this is a nonsense.
There were some bad tours in 1976 and 1977 but this one is far from bad IMO.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:47 pm

The tour certainly has its highlights and to me Elvis looked really cool. But he was in a strange mood and something certainly was wrong.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 pm

The Southbend show is a decent one..he had his senses together and delivered a great performance..contrary to the day before where he had to leave the stage right after 30 minutes due to "weird circumstances"....it was a tour with ups and downs..
The SB exists and there is a good chance that it`ll be released some day...it`s not fiction.

::rocks

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 am

From what I have heard from this tour, Elvis did some interesting shows. The set list is quite different, but good. To be sure, he talked a bit too much for my liking, but that's simply the way it was. Any soundboards which could be released from this tour are always welcomed.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:30 pm

A tour with ups and extreme downs.
Fact is the opening gigs were on an 'all time low standard' but as the tour progressed, the situation was back on track.

Knowing that, I am definately interested in more shows from the latter part of the infamous October '74 tour..

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:25 pm

September 29, 1974 AS turned out to be a decent show, too..
...forget all the rumours you`ve heard about this "infamous" concert.
And is College Park really so bad as it was said a few years ago..?..NO..

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Ciscoking wrote:And is College Park really so bad as it was said a few years ago..?..NO..

I agree it was somewhat of a relief as I expected an even worse show than the other College Park show.
Having said that, it's still an extremely poor show compared to the overall live work from '74.
Including a lot of vocal trouble, arrangement difficulties, and weird dialogues.
The rest of the tour was good compared to the College Park gigs.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:48 am

I am glad to hear your comments about College Park. I've never thought it as "tragic" as some have written about. Overall, I think this tour was interesting with a really nice set list for the most part. As I stated previously, a little too much talking perhaps at times, but musically I thought it was a preety good tour.