Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 am

javilu wrote:Yes, I've read all those comments before, Greg.
Thanks for posting them anyway.
That's why I don't know if I should upgrade or not.
I rather spend my money on something else if the sound was not improved over the original.


The nice thing is that over-time I've been able to pick and choose when and what I want to "upgrade" although the longer you wait, some do suddenly get very rare. But they always do re-surface.

Given the avalanche of material, it can be hard to keep up with all of it.

And I sometimes doubt it's all that important. :smt005

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The nice thing is that over-time I've been able to pick and choose when and what I want to "upgrade" although the longer you wait, some do suddenly get very rare. But they always do re-surface.

Given the avalanche of material, it can be hard to keep up with all of it.

And I sometimes doubt it's all that important. :smt005


Well, you got a point there, Greg.

I became interested in this upgrade basically because I like the concert very much, almost as good as the Asheville shows, and I hate the vinyl crackles on the cd.

I'd also love to buy Pieces of My Life, that one became a rarity soon!

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

javilu wrote:I'd also love to buy Pieces of My Life, that one became a rarity soon!

Yeah and this exactly shows how popular these july 1975 shows are! It's hard to understand why bootleggers don't re-release some of them recently. IMO it would be important to make them available for new fans. Especially if they have better sounding copies.

As for "Pieces Of My Life",i was lucky with that title. Got it for €15 two years ago. Miracles do happen sometimes. But very rarely...

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:22 am

Gabriel wrote:
As for "Pieces Of My Life",i was lucky with that title. Got it for €15 two years ago. Miracles do happen sometimes. But very rarely...


Gabriel, you're one lucky SOB, good deal on that one!

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 am

Yes, I was able to replace my CD-R (one from that early "starter set) of the very fine "Pieces" import with the now-rare original ...for about $30 earlier this year.
Image

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_pi ... ylife.html

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/piecesofmylifecd.html

Asheville, July 24 1975

Also Sprach Zarathustra
That's All Right
I Got A Woman/Amen
Big Boss Man
Love Me
If You Love Me
All Shook Up
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
American Trilogy
Heartbreak Hotel
Jailhouse Rock
Something
Return To Sender
Wooden Heart
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Polk Salad Annie
Band Introductions
Johnny B. Goode
Drum Solo
Bass Solo
Piano Solo
School Day
T.R.O.U.B.L.E.
Shake A Hand
Introduction of Vernon Presley and Dr. Nick
Pieces Of My Life
How Great Thou Art
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing Vamp/Announcements


Well, alright! Have patience and it all it all turns up eventually!

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:28 am

Go ahead, Greg.
Shove it on my face :D

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 am

hm80ep wrote:I just gave both CDs (i.e. America's Own, Vol. 1 and Ampex's America's Own Disc 1) a spin and I'll stick to the opinion I had expressed before: I think the sound on America's Own, Vol. 1 is better and more natural.
Image

Q: Is this original CD release, Vol.1, soundwise superior to the VINYL original?

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:30 am

Nah, I'm telling you, Jav,I almost gave up on ever finding this debut 'Straight Arrow' but it did turn up.

I have a few more like that I am still after.

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Nah, I'm telling you, Jav,I almost gave up on ever finding this debut 'Straight Arrow' but it did turn up.

I have a few more like that I am still after.


Did you see my trade list?
All originals on the Trade section. Plug, plug cough, cough....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53737

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:52 am

kajsa89 wrote:
hm80ep wrote:I just gave both CDs (i.e. America's Own, Vol. 1 and Ampex's America's Own Disc 1) a spin and I'll stick to the opinion I had expressed before: I think the sound on America's Own, Vol. 1 is better and more natural.
Image

Q: Is this original CD release, Vol.1, soundwise superior to the VINYL original?


A: No idea. Never had or listened to the vinyl.

PS. Forgot all about the introductions (my bad). They are indeed more complete on the Ampex release making the running time of the two CDs in question different.

America's Own, Vol. 1 (Mania): 69 min. 36 sec.
America's Own (Ampex): 78 min. 27 sec.

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Now I know where I read about the "supposed" sound issues on Ampex' America's Own (disc 1), it must have been in one of these old threads that happily Greg did the effort of digging up again. Thanks buddy :)

I do think both these Nassau Coliseum shows deserve a definitive presentation in one package, as I've said before and Gabriel confirmed. No release thusfar is 100% definitive IMO, because of lack of completeness, sound issues, packaging issues etc.

Straight Arrow ? FTD ?

And yes, "Pieces Of My Life" is just one of those AR that you just can't do without if you collect quality AR. This show is so unsual in its atmosphere and song selection, you just gotta have it. It beats most soundboards out of the water just for these reasons. It's a "anything goes" kind of show.

"Gyrating Asheville" 23/7/75 is another stunning show, the only thing off-putting is the not-so good sound. IMO these shows are much better than almost all of the ones on the previous tour, which was not bad, but frequently a bit uninspired (auto pilot) and sloppy (singing) in parts. Who could blame him, the man didn't have a day off between gigs.
Still, July was better.

Since I don't have any other shows from this 8-7-75 --> 24-7-75 tour as the ones mentioned above, were the other shows of the same caliber, or not. Was it rather an up-and-down tour or did he gradually get better as the tour progressed? From my files I read that both Niagara Falls NY shows from 13-7-75 (AS + ES) were released as a silver-pressed discs. Anybody have them and can comment on them ?

edit: nevermind this question! I've already found them in audio on this well-known excellent website:
http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... /1975.html :wink:

I just hadn't listened to them before, now I will. Thanks Cisco!

edit: listening to another SMOKIN' July version the the great "Burning Love", I wished Elvis would have attacked the song this way during his Aloha Special, where it was rather tame and insecure.

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:54 pm

hm80ep wrote:
PS. Forgot all about the introductions (my bad). They are indeed more complete on the Ampex release making the running time of the two CDs in question different.

America's Own, Vol. 1 (Mania): 69 min. 36 sec.
America's Own (Ampex): 78 min. 27 sec.


Where are the intros incomplete on the former or what is more complete on the latter..?

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:17 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
hm80ep wrote:
PS. Forgot all about the introductions (my bad). They are indeed more complete on the Ampex release making the running time of the two CDs in question different.

America's Own, Vol. 1 (Mania): 69 min. 36 sec.
America's Own (Ampex): 78 min. 27 sec.


Where are the intros incomplete on the former or what is more complete on the latter..?


Well, here's the detailed breakdown for you, Cisco (incl. the running time of each track):

America’s Own (Vol. 1) (Mania)


14. Burning Love 3:02
15. Johnny B. Goode 0:48
16. School Day 1:12

17. T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:31


America’s Own (Disc 1) (Ampex)


14. Burning Love 3:15
15. Introductions 3:05
16. Johnny B. Goode 0:53
17. Chickin’ Pickin’ 0:59
18. Drum Solo 1:21
19. Bass Solo 0:49
20. Piano Solo 1:20
21. Introductions (continued) 0:34

22. School Day 1:12
23. T-R-O-U-B-L-E 3:33
...

Oh, and you're more than welcome to update your site with the above info. :smt001

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 pm

No..I won`t take the offer..thank you.. :smt006 ...I just add comments about the completeness of shows to CDR`s....usually not to silver discs cause the infos are normally given on the covers ..anyway..

I compared it a bit closer and I found that on the Ampex release the Piano solo is incomplete at the beginning..otherwise the show is complete..thanx for your great input...

::rocks

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Ciscoking wrote:No..I won`t take the offer..thank you.. :smt006 ...I just add comments about the completeness of shows to CDR`s....usually not to silver discs cause the infos are normally given on the covers ..anyway..

I compared it a bit closer and I found that on the Ampex release the Piano solo is incomplete at the beginning..otherwise the show is complete..thanx for your great input...

::rocks


Glad I could be of help. :smt001

Re: America's Own

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:54 pm

hm80ep wrote:
kajsa89 wrote:
hm80ep wrote:I just gave both CDs (i.e. America's Own, Vol. 1 and Ampex's America's Own Disc 1) a spin and I'll stick to the opinion I had expressed before: I think the sound on America's Own, Vol. 1 is better and more natural.
Image

Q: Is this original CD release, Vol.1, soundwise superior to the VINYL original?


A: No idea. Never had or listened to the vinyl.

If I ever get the CD, I will let you all know...as I've got the vinyl. For me, getting rare bootleg vinyl is the really fun part of collecting! I'm "old" (45), have lots of vinyl, only started to buy CDs in the early 90's.