Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

America's Own

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have the original bootleg "America's Own" and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2 cd set by the Ampex label.

Question is, how does the sound compare between the original and the Ampex cd?

Is the Ampex version longer in lenght (minus the bonus tracks, of course) than the original?

Do the bonus tracks, released on Ampex sound better than...yes, America's Own Vol. 2 ?

I think we should be told!

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Last edited by javilu on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: America's Own

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:52 pm

javilu wrote:Ladies and gentlemen,

I have the original bootleg "America's Own" and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2 cd set by the Ampex label.

Question is, how does the sound compare between the original and the Ampex cd?

Is the Ampex version longer in lenght (minus the bonus tracks, of course) than the original?

Do the bonus tracks, released on America's Own Vol. 2 sound better than...yes, America's Own Vol. 2 ?

I think we should be told!

Thanks in advance for the responses.

I think I've read somewhere that on the Ampex release the main (afternoon) show is supposed to sound better than previously on America's Own vol. 1, while the evening show extracts on disc 2 now have an annoying sound issue ( a buzz?), not present on the earlier release. So if that's true you will need the Ampex 2cd + the older America's Own vol. 2 to have the best of both worlds. If it's true.

It's been ages since I've listened to either show, so I can't remember, I only have the Ampex on cd-r now, once I owned the older releases but sold them off.
"You'll Never Walk Alone" (E.S.) at the piano is a STUNNER, however, one of the best things he ever did live or otherwise in the 1970s, period. Just stunning.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 pm

You do that javilu upgrade to ampex 2 cd version and then americas vol 2 have full show.Abit brigther louder sound on americas vol 2.Because sound on ampex cd 2 has a dull sound.Probably because they have remastered it to much?
Ampec cd 1 has much better sound then on old titel americas vol 1.It's to listen to the same sound that is on some rainbows releases ampex cd 1.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:28 pm

I have all 3 CDs in my collection and I wouldn't get rid of any one of them. Why? one may ask. Here's the answer.

America's Own (Vol. 1) (Elvis Mania Sound) - very good sound quality, but you can hear it was transferred from a vinyl copy of the same title (you can hear the needle, if you know what I mean); complete show; pretty poor artwork.

America's Own, Vol. 2 (Claudia Record Company) - very good sound quality, no "needle" sounds or anything like that; complete show; pretty poor artwork.

America's Own (Ampex) - very good sound quality but not as good as on the aformentioned older titles, afternoon show - complete; evening show - highlights; great artwork/booklet.

If I were you I'd get the Ampex 2CD set (you can find it quite cheaply on eBay - even now) but keep the old title. Unless you can track a copy of volume 2 - then you don't need the Ampex release. But that's just my personal opinion that... some may not agree with. :smt001

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 pm

hm80ep wrote:I have all 3 CDs in my collection and I wouldn't get rid of any one of them. Why? one may ask. Here's the answer.

America's Own (Vol. 1) (Elvis Mania Sound) - very good sound quality, but you can hear it was transferred from a vinyl copy of the same title (you can hear the needle, if you know what I mean); complete show; pretty poor artwork.

America's Own, Vol. 2 (Claudia Record Company) - very good sound quality, no "needle" sounds or anything like that; complete show; pretty poor artwork.

America's Own (Ampex) - very good sound quality but not as good as on the aformentioned older titles, afternoon show - complete; evening show - highlights; great artwork/booklet.

If I were you I'd get the Ampex 2CD set (you can find it quite cheaply on eBay - even now) but keep the old title. Unless you can track a copy of volume 2 - then you don't need the Ampex release. But that's just my personal opinion that... some may not agree with. :smt001

Thanks guys for your responses.
I have both the original America's Own vols. 1 and 2.
I wasn't thinking of replacing my Vol. 2 for I know it's not complete in the Ampex release.

Regarding the main show released on Vol. 1
Does it still have the vinyl noises?
isn't it more complete on the Ampex release? I guess that's why they put the ending on disc 2.
Why do you claim the sound is better on Vol. 1 if that one's taken from vinyl and the Ampex disc supposedly is not?
Thank you Mr. hm80ep. :D

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm

javilu wrote:
hm80ep wrote:I have all 3 CDs in my collection and I wouldn't get rid of any one of them. Why? one may ask. Here's the answer.

Thanks guys for your responses.
I have both the original America's Own vols. 1 and 2.
I wasn't thinking of replacing my Vol. 2 for I know it's not complete in the Ampex release.

Regarding the main show released on Vol. 1
Does it still have the vinyl noises?
isn't it more complete on the Ampex release? I guess that's why they put the ending on disc 2.
Why do you claim the sound is better on Vol. 1 if that one's taken from vinyl and the Ampex disc supposedly is not?
Thank you Mr. hm80ep. :D

- No vinyl noises of the Ampex CD.
- The Ampex version is not more complete. The concert would fit onto one disc. They might have split the show in two for it to take more space and make the set a little more expensive (at least that's what I think).
- The vinyl noises are there on the Elvis Mania release, but the overall sound is clearer (it's easier to tell what Elvis is saying in between the songs) thus - to my ear - better.

Hope this helps. :smt001

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Henryk.
Then I think I'll stick to the version I already have.
I don't care about the booklet.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm

javilu wrote:Thanks Henryk.
Then I think I'll stick to the version I already have.
I don't care about the booklet.

You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 pm

I can't add anything new, except to say that I think both shows deserve a definitive quality re-release with nice rich booklet IF the sound can be improved on both shows.
Or at least the complete evening show. I'm thinking Rainbow Records or Straight Arrow.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 pm

James27 wrote:I can't add anything new, except to say that I think both shows deserve a definitive quality re-release with nice rich booklet IF the sound can be improved on both shows.
Or at least the complete evening show. I'm thinking Rainbow Records or Straight Arrow.

James, I'm quite happy with America's Own Vol. 2. It sounds nice and it's complete.

It's the vinyl noises on Vol. 1 that are a let down and that's why I thought of replacing it with the Ampex version.

Sadly, according to Henryk, the sound is less clear on the reissue.

Booklet shmooklet. Sound quality comes first.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Jav: putting down booklets again...sounding like a CD-R man again... :lol:

I didn't note a sound problem at all.

The AMPEX I picked up is superior as an overall package (and from the disc itself (photodisc I think) to the notes, and photos, it's a no-brainer. I think I unloaded Vol. 1 (okay, it was a CD-R from when I started collecting) as it is not in the same league. I have thought of getting Vol. 2 though to have the full 2nd show but its not a priority.

The Ampex from what I've seen is the consensus pick for documenting these shows. I had not heard of any sound advantage to the older title.

Javy:

Other threads on this topic (already existing!)
'AMERICA'S OWN
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20284&start=0&hilit=America%27s+Own

QUESTION ABOUT-"America's Own" cd-Elvis-1975

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18790
Thomas wrote:actually, there is a third release with the same name (2 CD). It features enhanced sound but the second show is not complete.

if you need a complete copy I suggest the two old cd's. if its just to have a piece of it in your collection, go for ampex.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:09 pm

I guess hm80ep and I have diffrent opinions then about Ampex cd 1 and americas own vol 1 :lol:
But my guess is that both will be re-released soon again and I hope it comes in better soundquality then? :D

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm going to review the other comments on those threads, but it's worth pointing out that AR's in general can only have so much in terms of "improvement." In that way I think the packaging (well-chosen liner notes; photos from the show) is the icing on the cake.

The nod to me goes to AMPEX - it's on the overall import quality level of what we've come to expect from Madison, et al.

Good show!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'm going to review the other comments on those threads, but it's worth pointing out that AR's in general can only have so much in terms of "improvement." In that way I think the packaging (well-chosen liner notes; photos from the show) is the icing on the cake.

The nod to me goes to AMPEX - it's on the overall import quality level of what we've come to expect from Madison, et al.

Good show!

C'mon Greg, you know me.
I rather have better sound than a booklet!
My point is easy Greg.
If and that's a big IF, the Ampex sounds better, I'll upgrade my copy.
If not, I'll stick to my original America's Own and spend money on something else.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 pm

I just gave both CDs (i.e. America's Own, Vol. 1 and Ampex's America's Own Disc 1) a spin and I'll stick to the opinion I had expressed before: I think the sound on America's Own, Vol. 1 is better and more natural. Ampex's America's Own sounds too "digital" to me as it was processed too much (as mentioned by tuttifrutti in this very thread). To each his/her own, they say. :smt001

PS. It's good to be able to listen to any one of the three CDs at any chosen time. :mrgreen:

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:22 pm

hm80ep wrote:I just gave both CDs (i.e. America's Own, Vol. 1 and Ampex's America's Own Disc 1) a spin and I'll stick to the opinion I had expressed before: I think the sound on America's Own, Vol. 1 is better and more natural. Ampex's America's Own sounds too "digital" to me as it was processed too much (as mentioned by tuttifrutti in this very thread). To each his/her own, they say. :smt001

PS. It's good to be able to listen to any one of the three CDs at any chosen time. :mrgreen:

Well, thanks for checking then, Henryk!
I guess I'll stick to my vinyl sourced bootleg.

Anyone wants to share another opinion on this matter?
Please, only sound quality and completeness, don't do a Greg and start rating on how nice it is to have a booklet! :D

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Easy does it yourself, Jav. :lol: I did think we were actual collectors of actual CD's on this site and in ranking what is best, that often includes taking into account attractively assembled liner notes with photos from the concert, etc.

But at the same time, better sound is of course a key concern. I'm surprised to hear the old one is better and will check to see if I have the old burn of it so I can compare it. In either event, I can safely say that only obssessives would want most of these AR's so either one is a good one to have. But I am partial to most upgrades because the overall package is better. It's a major demerit if the sound is somehow off. My ears found it more than listenable and not anymore "digital" than anything else, save for no vinyl-popping sounds and do like vinyl as a rule.

It's one of the reasons some of us often have multimple versions of the same concert or sesssion. And so
goes fandom...! :D

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Shame on the bootleggers for hiding from fans these great july 1975 shows!
New fans (and those who missed the previous releases) don't have any chance to obtain the old titles at an acceptable price.

They release 1976 and 1977 audience recordings in every month but the great july 1975 shows seem to be a black hole. What a pity.

The only show i have from this tour is the C/S (thanks to S.A.) so i'm considering myself lucky that i have at least one. :roll:

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Gabriel wrote:Shame on the bootleggers for hiding these great july 1975 shows!
New fans (and those who missed the previous releases) don't have any chance to obtain the old titles at an acceptable price.

They release 1976 and 1977 audience recordings in every month but the great july 1975 shows seem to be a black hole. What a pity.

The only show i have from this tour is the C/S. Someone sold me a slightly damaged copy of the S.A title for €15 so i'm considering myself lucky that i have at least one. :roll:

Don't worry Gabriel.

If Greg manages to convince me that the Ampex cd sounds better, I'll buy it and sell the old one to you for a decent price.

So Greg, as I already told you several times, I'm not going to spend my hard earned money on a bloody booklet, so just let me know if you agree with Henryk in that the original one has clearer sound and both are the same length.

Godspeed.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm

It seems that all previous releases have their faults.
Some of them have sound problems,some of them are incomplete,some of them have no booklet and look ugly etc.
How about a new box-set? July '75 Revisited or something like that.
These shows are too good to remain hidden. Even the sound is good on many of them.
I would definitely buy a such release and i guess i'm not the only one.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Gabriel wrote:It seems that all previous releases have their faults.
Some of them have sound problems,some of them are incomplete,some of them have no booklet and look ugly etc.
How about a new box-set? July '75 Revisited or something like that.
These shows are too good to remain hidden. Even the sound is good on many of them.
I would definitely buy a such release and i guess i'm not the only one.

That would make sense if the producers have the master cassette recordings.
Upgrades would be pointless when using the old cds as a source.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything Jav. This 2004 AMPEX set arguably could use an upgrade someday anyway and my ears thought it sounded fine at first listen. I just have an attenna for people who have "gone to the dark side" of torrents and CD-Rs. :lol: "Say it ain't so." :smt002

If the shoe doesn't fit, so be it.. As collectors. we all make decisions all the time and all of our
collections likely reflect our quirky priorities.

I've considered waiting a good while on the new Boston FTD simply because I doubt it can match
Madison's high standard of sound and presentation. We all make such decisions.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything Jav. This 2004 AMPEX set arguably could use an upgrade someday anyway and my ears thought it sounded fine at first listen. I just have an attenna for people who have "gone to the dark side" of torrents and CD-Rs. :lol: "Say it ain't so." :smt002

If the shoe doesn't fit, so be it.. As collectors. we all make decisions all the time and all of our
collections likely reflect our quirky priorities.

I've considered waiting a good while on the new Boston FTD simply because I doubt it can match
Madison's high standard of sound and presentation. We all make such decisions.

Why do you have to bring CDRs to the discussion when I already told you I have the original release on a silver pressed disc?

My question was as simple as:
Sound quality comparison between 1st release and Ampex
Length comparison between same.

So don't go off topic discussing booklets, CD-Rs and shoes that don't fit :D

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Sorry, Jav. Just feeling you out. There are a lot more "Torrenters" and CD-R folks then there used to be!

I just culled some discussion below from those threads (outside of comments praising it as one of his best concerts..)

I don't know if this is all true but thought I'd post it for now until I check it.

TONY wrote:Have just acquired the recent "Ampex" lable 2cd set of "America's own". I waited as I did not want to pay the full £27 that they were charging at this years' Mablethorpe Elvis week. It is a definite improvement on the sound of the original LP and CD release, plus it is more complete with the band intros and solos having been restored. Booklet is good to with many photos, so anyone thinking of getting this, then I would recommend it.

YDKM wrote:oh i know someone who says this release contains a high pitched 'buzz' throughout?

Jim Dandy wrote:Whoever mastered it with that wretched high pitched ringing must have been the same knob who did the How Great Thou Art Sessions - these are mostly unlistenable IMO, but America's Own is slightly better but the ringing is irritating.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:oh i know someone who says this release contains a high pitched 'buzz' throughout?

It's not on my copy, they must have tinnitus.

Of the many audience-recorded discs, this one is a keeper.

DJC

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:i know someone who says this release contains a high pitched 'buzz' throughout?

It's not on my copy

Nor mine.

3577 wrote:Its not on my copy either. And my $6000 sound-system doesnt lie.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 am

Yes, I've read all those comments before, Greg.
Thanks for posting them anyway.
That's why I don't know if I should upgrade or not.
I rather spend my money on something else if the sound was not improved over the original.